June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Went to Tulum and Cobá in Quintana Roo on the Yucatán peninsula. Can confirm 100F + temps with ridiculous humidity is like a curtain of sweat.

Phil is always one extreme or the other.

He has no middle ground. Its either Baffin Island or 97-degree dewpoints and cars melting into the asphalt. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Puget Sound region locked in the gunk... cloudy and cold at 1 p.m. during the longest days of the year. Feels like February or November.

sat.png

Portland about to clear out.

South of Portland... beautiful.

I would love summer troughing too if I lived in Eugene. :)

maybe it’ll be burned off a bit in a couple hours. If not this could be the second sub 60 degree day of the month here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Puget Sound region locked in the gunk... cloudy and cold at 1 p.m. during the longest days of the year. Feels like February or November.

I would love summer troughing too if I lived in Eugene. :)

I wish cloudy marine layer days were possible here during the summer. :(

Reduced electric bills, higher soil moisture content, more comfortable temperatures. Win^3.

I wish cloudy marine layer days were possible here during the summer. :(

Reduced electric bills, higher soil moisture content, more comfortable temperatures. Win^3.

Great.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This discussion really needs to be more about Phil/the east coast.

You littered this place with dozens of angsty freakouts every time the models ever-so-slightly pulled back on the troughing, for over a week. Don’t start with me.

Puget Sound region locked in the gunk... cloudy and cold at 1 p.m. during the longest days of the year.    Feels like February or November.

I would love summer troughing too if I lived in Eugene.    :)

Speaking of hyperbole...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Speaking of hyperbole... :rolleyes:

It actually does feel like February or November.... 50s and cloudy in the middle of the afternoon. It happens in June... and I dislike it every time

It actually does feel like February or November.... 50s and cloudy in the middle of the afternoon. It happens in June... and I dislike it every time

We can also get sunny and 60s just about any time of year, but you don’t complain when those happen in the heart of winter. ;)

We can also get sunny and 60s just about any time of year, but you don’t complain when those happen in the heart of winter. ;)

No. I don't mind that as much. I value summer more. Way more actually. But that is just my opinion

Yes... I said it has been wetter than normal in Seattle.   :rolleyes:

Good Lord.    Hyperbole.

But... there is a noticeable difference because the 1.5 - 2 inches of rain that has fallen around the Seattle area (even more in some places) is much better than the .50 or so in Tacoma since May 1st.     

Not saying you're wrong, but whether you're talking about 20% of normal or 40% of normal, the entire area has been way below normal this late spring/early summer.

60dPNormWA.png

Yes, the area from Olympia to Tacoma has seen the least amount of rain over that time period. And it goes back further...by far the driest Mar 1 to Jun 20 period on record for OLM.

A forum for the end of the world.

Went to Tulum and Cobá in Quintana Roo on the Yucatán peninsula. Can confirm 100F + temps with ridiculous humidity is like a curtain of sweat.

Ha, I'm staying with friends in Tulum the week of 4th of July. High temps are generally in the low 90s now, though.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Not saying you're wrong, but whether you're talking about 20% of normal or 40% of normal, the entire area has been way below normal this late spring/early summer.

60dPNormWA.png

Yes, the area from Olympia to Tacoma has seen the least amount of rain over that time period. And it goes back further...by far the driest Mar 1 to Jun 20 period on record for OLM.

been very dry here locally. Grass is already fully yellow brown and has been since late May. It’s been dry here since April 2018.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah, it's actually been drier than normal for pretty much the entire region over the past 2 years.

24mPNormWRCC-NW.png

Definitely. Has been pretty dry especially recently. No month with above 5 inches of precip since April 2018. Abnormally dry summer and fall in 2018 and a dry winter spring in 2019. Past 14 months specifically have been dry here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Left the heavy drizzle at home this morning and drove 20 minutes to the lake house. Was slightly brighter, warmer, and completely dry. Just got home, no drizzle but darker and cooler. Currently 59.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice anecdote. I also heard that Mossman saw a slug in his yard. I just contacted the Climate Prediction center and had them change the seasonal drought outlook for the region to reflect this new information.

Actually a slug count into the hundreds when I took a walk on our neighbors property walking on their very healthy and green grass trail.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Rainfall maps Tim?

Total precip...

ecmwf-tprecip-nw-41.png

Also looks like tomorrow is the last solid marine layer day... which will be nice.     The low clouds are much less pervasive this coming week.