June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Nws sea disc. Does make mention of T-storms in the WA cascades and foothills and potentially if the instability is far enough east maybe down to the I-5 corridor eastward even tomorrow afternoon/evening.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Phil is a 28 yr old living in his parent's basement. Haven't we all figured this out?

Whatever gets you through the night, virgin boy.

so the nws discussion updated talks about thunder around northern king country, will be interested to see if that actually pans out 

UPDATE...Quick update to expand thunderstorm coverage a bit
further west across Whatcom, Skagit, and northern King counties
this evening as well as across portions of Grays Harbor County.
Instability will quickly decrease this from now through 10pm with
the loss of daytime heating, but there are still pockets with over
500 J/kg CAPE. A fair amount of lightning has been noted and with
freezing level still relatively low. As a result, I would not be 
surprised to hear some small hail reports from foothill 
communities. Most activity should end in the next 1-2 hours.
However, there is a slight chance that thunderstorms could 
persist until 9-10 PM over the North Cascades. Will continue to 
monitor and update as needed. -Wolcott-

Also at the end of the metro star gfs it shows a warming trend. Now I may be just a beginner, but I see a warmer ridge after the 7th. Though its a toss up if it holds at this point.

65 and cloudy here in Tacoma now. Only some very light rain for about 30-45 minutes earlier this afternoon. Was just enough to make the ground a little wet still at 0.10” for the month. High temp of 68. Should have better luck in the rain department over the next few days and maybe hopefully some t-storms.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Guest CulverJosh

Whatever gets you through the night, virgin boy.

Lol. I dont think my daughter would think Im a virgin. Maybe if I posted 100 times a day on a weather forum I could be a stud like you.

Real classy mentioning my daughter. Im normally on your side but shut up.

Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it, virgin boy.

WFO SEA was 72/47 today, SeaTac was 75/51.

The fakeness is worse than usual this month. Still a huge deviation between the two in terms of the monthly anomaly as well.

WFO SEA was 72/47 today, SeaTac was 75/51.

The fakeness is worse than usual this month. Still a huge deviation between the two in terms of the monthly anomaly as well.

RNT is a couple miles east of SEA... it was 76/50 there.    And BFI was 75/53... a few miles to the north of SEA.    

Don't be silly Phil.    SEA was right in line with the official station closest to it today.    Is this a 3-station conspiracy against you now?   :rolleyes:

There was more clouds in the early morning hours from downtown Seattle southward... hence the warmer lows.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Inland stations are actually warmer in terms of summer average highs than SEA - probably because of the ice cold 50ºF waters of Puget Sound.

You way overstate the influence of the Puget Sound on Seattle temperatures.   Its much more pronounced on the WA coast along the open ocean.    Its not even close.     

And its more sunny near the Puget Sound than inland areas during summer troughing.    Subsidence over the water as opposed to rising air inland.    Its very pronounced on some days.   It also more sunny over Lake Washington than the surrounding land on many days.   You can often make out the shape of Lake Washington on the visible satellite through the clear spot in the clouds.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Inland stations are actually warmer in terms of summer average highs than SEA - probably because of the ice cold 50ºF waters of Puget Sound.

yeah it’ll be 80 here at my house about 1/2 mile or so from the sound but out towards south Tacoma Lakewood area it’ll be 83-85 It’ll cool the temp 3-5 degrees at most. Much bigger effect out towards the ocean. In the winter time it’s a reverse effect where it’ll be 45 degrees here it might be 40-42 degrees away from the water.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Real classy mentioning my daughter. Im normally on your side but shut up.

I don’t get it. You can throw out insults galore (and please, you’ve included Tim’s family in some of these quips), but you can’t take it? You brought your daughter up in the first place. Maybe don’t try to stroke up drama if you have such gossamer skin.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Some serious blocking and heat over Europe right now and the ECMWF shows that its basically going to stay in place for the next 10 days.

Tim jumping to the defense of SEA again. Shocker.

If they ever decided to move that station away from the UHI hotbox, Tim would definitely light brushfires around it to keep the anomalies elevated.

Tim jumping to the defense of SEA again. Shocker.

If they ever decided to move that station away from the UHI hotbox, Tim would definitely light brushfires around it to keep the anomalies elevated.

I recognize the UHI there.    And you exaggerate it to silly lengths.   

And you certainly can't explain why the 2 closest official stations to SEA were right in line with SEA today.     ;)

You way overstate the influence of the Puget Sound on Seattle temperatures. Its much more pronounced on the WA coast along the open ocean. Its not even close.

And its more sunny near the Puget Sound than inland areas during summer troughing. Subsidence over the water as opposed to rising air inland. Its very pronounced on some days. It also more sunny over Lake Washington than the surrounding land on many days. You can often make out the shape of Lake Washington on the visible satellite through the clear spot in the clouds.

The cool water must have a much larger effect on the lower boundary layer due to elematary laws of thermodynamics. Solar heating of the surface itself is what warms the lower atmosphere for the most part via conduction..over the water there is essentially no diurnal cycle at all. You would expect daytime highs to be cooler in closer proximity to the water, by multiple degrees.

I posted this last June... 

Outlines of Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish clearly showing up on the visible satellite image... clouds over land but not over the cooler water surface.

sat_6_11.png

What’s your point? The land surface still heats up faster than the water surface under those partly cloudy conditions. It has a much lower thermal capacity than the water.

In fact, the clouds form over the land *because* it’s significantly hotter than the water (hence the vertical overturning). The same is (obviously) true for the temperatures within the lower boundary layer over said domains.

What’s your point? The land surface would still heat up faster than the water surface under those partly cloudy conditions. It has a much lower thermal capacity than the water.

I just thought it was interesting and remembered that I had taken a screen shot of it last year.     On the WA coast... the water usually results in cold fog in the summer.   But around the Puget Sound it often results in more sun than inland areas.    There was a couple days last week when it was sunny within a couple mile of the Puget Sound but very cloudy and cool just inland.   SEA was warmer those days than inland areas precisely because it is near the Sound.

In fact, the clouds form over the land *because* it’s significantly hotter than the water (hence the vertical overturning). The same is (obviously) true for the temperatures within the lower boundary layer over said domains.

Not always... on many days there is a solid marine layer covering the region all morning and then clearing starts first over the water.   The inland areas do not start clear and then warm up on those days... it is cloudy and cool until mid to late afternoon when the marine layer breaks up.        

Last Friday afternoon it was around 70 in Seattle (at at SEA) near the water where there was sunshine... but only in the low to mid 60s inland where it had been cloudy until that point in the day.

Untitled.png

I just thought it was interesting and remembered that I had taken a screen shot of it last year. On the WA coast... the water usually results in cold fog in the summer. But around the Puget Sound it often results in more sun than inland areas. There was a couple days last week when it was sunny within a couple mile of the Puget Sound but very cloudy and cool just inland. SEA was warmer those days than inland areas precisely because it is near the Sound.

That sounds like a stable marine airmass with an upslope component producing low clouds inland over the terrain, but you’ll have to show me a satellite image or something from today.

Not always... on many days there is a solid marine layer covering the region all morning and then clearing starts first over the water. The inland areas do not start clear and then warm up on those days... it is cloudy and cool until mid to late afternoon when the marine layer breaks up.

Last Friday afternoon it was around 70 in Seattle (at at SEA) near the water where there was sunshine... but only in the low to mid 60s inland where it had been cloudy until that point in the day.

Untitled.png

How about an image from today at 3pm? ;)

I don’t recall a thick marine layer on any of the PNW observations or soundings today. My guess is the temperature observations from WFO SEA are closer to reality than those from SeaTac.

How about an image from today at 3pm? ;)

It was the same temperature at SEA and Bellevue and Issaquah and North Bend early this afternoon (from west to east across King County).

This is was the warmest part of the day.   And that is not marine layer to the south... that is moisture rotating up around the ULL offshore and being enhanced by daytime heating.   It blossomed during the afternoon.    And the temperature dropped at SEA first when it moved in from the south.  

sat-6-25.png

Nice evening! Got the grass mowed since I know everyone was on the edge of their seats about that. BBQ’d and had dinner on the deck.

Currently cloudy and 57.

618CE1DE-F87D-4064-A044-65709898701C.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!