July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Happy Friday!  It is THE warmest and muggiest morning of the season 81F/77F...I was awaken once by the A/C cranking last night as my room usually gets rather chilly and comfy. Had to snuggle under the covers at one point.  Boy, what a dense airmass!  I just stepped outside and it's almost hard to breathe in with this extremely humid air.  Crazy.  You don't often get this humid around these parts and I'm sure the wet soils from all the recent heavy rains is aiding in the humidity.  I'm wondering if that will help from temps getting too out of control and hitting the "century" mark.

With it this humid it is very hard to get even in the mid 90's Some people think that Florida gets up to 100 in the summer time well if it does it on days that are less humid. The clouds and rain to the west should keep the temps down here a little for today.

• Like 2

High bumped to 94 today with heat indices as high as 110F. This is now the 5th day in a row we’re in a zone of possible severe storms. Enhanced risk for later today and tonight. Several CAMs showing MLCAPE of over 5000 J/kg of energy. Sig tors values are very high on the 06z NAM. Crazy setup. MPX calling this one of the best setups you’ll see around here.

• Like 1

And then I read the rest of the morning discussion and I see this. We all know what’s going to happen.....

Lastly, an organized cluster of thunderstorms has developed early

this morning across the western Dakotas. The expectation with those

storms is for them to dissipate after daybreak as the low level jet

subsides. However, if these storms become self-sustainable, they

would really throw a wrench into the forecast for today`s heat and

thunderstorm outlook if they make it to our area by later this

morning.

Not a heatwave for SEMI (speaking for my area that is). Reason is, that my high temp is expected to be at 89F, instead of the mid 90s that was forecasted. Yesterday, I did top off at 91F. Tomorrow looks like the hottest, when 98F to possibly 100F will be possible. For a heatwave to be occurring, you need at least 3 days of temps at 90F or betta. If my temp hits 90F today, then, a heatwave will be happening here.

Currently, a juicy 76D,temp at 82F, RF 91F RH84%....UGH!

Air Quality Alert and Excessive Heat Warning for today

Next week features highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s. :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

From SPC:

Upgrading to Moderate Risk this outlook for the potential threats of

multiple strong tornadoes and a derecho later this afternoon and

evening. CAPE/shear/SRH parameter space in this region is forecast

to be exceptionally rare for mid July amid a predominately zonal

flow regime across the northern states.

• Like 2

I just hope this area can get a nice, solid line Saturday night.  It's not a sure thing.  Last night's euro hits northern Iowa hard, then transitions everything back west and south.  The WPC only has 0.50" or a bit less falling over ec/se Iowa.  We only get one shot as the front swings through.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

T'stm activity looks at a minimal today, very sporadic. hopefully, my area can get hammered.....

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Welp, this is not good. Best hope is these don't stay isolated. Might be a long evening around here sitting in that hatched 15% TOR.

That complex is still going in W MN and it’s not showing many signs of dying. We need it to go away now if we have any hopes of good storms later. My gut tells me things won’t materialize as modeled. Thick overcast about to overtake the area, we won’t hit the mid 90s, and thus the energy will be limited. That’s just my take right now. Ask me again in 2 hours....

That complex is still going in W MN and it’s not showing many signs of dying. We need it to go away now if we have any hopes of good storms later. My gut tells me things won’t materialize as modeled. Thick overcast about to overtake the area, we won’t hit the mid 90s, and thus the energy will be limited. That’s just my take right now. Ask me again in 2 hours....

Yeah, I just took a look right after I posted that. Looks like energy will indeed stay down. Curious to see what the SPC thinks. Shear is still quite high.

Edit: It is amazing to me how it NEVER fails that if there is a chance that morning storms mess with the afternoon, they will. I've seen it so much in these parts.

Yeah, I just took a look right after I posted that. Looks like energy will indeed stay down. Curious to see what the SPC thinks. Shear is still quite high.

Edit: It is amazing to me how it NEVER fails that if there is a chance that morning storms mess with the afternoon, they will. I've seen it so much in these parts.

SPC mesoanalysis page currently shows surface based CAPE of around 4500J/kg near the metro and 5500 J/kg in S/C MN. We’ll see if the stuff moving in from the west becomes the main show.

The Summer version of a "Blue Norther" but not as quick of a temp drop you would normally characterize during a winter time event.  Some places will drop from the low 100's across KS into the 60's over a period of 24 hours.  #refreshing

• Like 2

That warned cell that’s been riding the backside of the complex in W MN appears to be strengthening and going rogue. That’s a positive development.

New SPC update in 30 min.

It looks like all the models take everything north of the metro. That is good/bad depending on your viewpoint.

SPC update is largely unchanged. Enhanced and moderate risk in this area. Let’s see if it materializes.

I think the 15% TOR is kind of taking alot of the attention, can't brush off a hatched 10% TOR risk. Also, it is absolutely disgusting out there right now, dewpoint has to be close to 75 if not higher.

Edit: Most forecasters saying to straight up ignore everything except the MDT because the models drive everything north of the cities; interesting take. Saying the other pretty colors are just precautionary. 

At this time there are many very high dew points around the Great Lakes area here in Michigan some of the highest DP’s I have ever seen. Here are some of the current DP’s around the State of Michigan. . Ann Arbor 79, Battle Creek 78, Coldwater 80, Jackson 79, Monroe 84??? Sturgis 81 Grand Rapids 77 And drum roll please here at my house I have a current DP of 80 giving a (according to my weather station) a heat index of 111 with a air temperature of 88.

• Like 2

I think the 15% TOR is kind of taking alot of the attention, can't brush off a hatched 10% TOR risk. Also, it is absolutely disgusting out there right now, dewpoint has to be close to 75 if not higher.

Edit: Most forecasters saying to straight up ignore everything except the MDT because the models drive everything north of the cities; interesting take. Saying the other pretty colors are just precautionary.

If forecasters are telling people to ignore the enhanced and slight risk areas they need to be checked. Besides, aren’t all weather watches and warnings precautionary? Not sure I understand why they’re saying that.

• Like 1

WPC continues to be less-than-enthusiastic about rain for ec/se Iowa.  It would suck to waste all this fuel.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Once the sun heated up the surface, puffy fair weather cumulus have formed as a result from the recent heavy rains across N IL.  Temps haven't gone up as high as they were being predicted yesterday.  You can thank the wetter soils that have prevented the higher 90's from transpiring which were being forecast.  It's still a rather oppressive day, current air temp 91F, DP 76F with a HI 103F...not as bad as it could have been.

• Like 1

92F w/118F HI @ KRMY. As noted by WestMIJim, the DP readings there at the little airport on the south end of Marshall are "suspicious", so take it fwiw, which is miserable any way you cut it!  :(

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

The rain gauge at my parents house seems to have a dew point about 2-3 degrees higher than what DBQ is reporting. Seems to be this way pretty consistently. Would there be a reason this could be true, or should I make an adjustment on the gauge?

I guess there are some dew points similar to what my parents have (82), so maybe it's right?

Iowa City HI hit 108 earlier.

Those are Texas temps.!

When did Iowa slip south? Pole shift?

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*