July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Getting a t;stm currently w small hail and gusty winds. A few showers are hvy. Temps are in the mid 80s w high dews (70s). Very muggy indeed.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Bring on the Summer "Vortex"  brrr 80 degrees and no humidity!!  Currently loving 87 degrees with Feels like temp of 96.  Dewy at 72.  

It will get better! My lows this upcoming weekend are in the sweet 50s and highs in the 70s. WOOhooooo!!!!!.

• Like 1

Ahhhhh....summer!  :)

Finally! :D

• Like 1

Outflows from the storms to the north swept in about an hour ago and dropped temps into the upper 70’s. Fired up the grill and now a severe warned storm is knocking on my door! #grillin’ #storms #summertime

• Like 5

Outflows from the storms to the north swept in about an hour ago and dropped temps into the upper 70’s. Fired up the grill and now a severe warned storm is knocking on my door! #grillin’ #storms #summertime

Literally what I'm doing right now. Out on my deck with my brother grilling burgers and watching another storm roll in from the west! First storm a couple hours ago dropped a quick 0.32"
  • Like 1

Well that didn't work out! Cedar Rapids is the like the only place where this seems to happen, I am so tired of it. I can't believe it's so hard for a thunderstorm to move into Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 

This ring of fire means good thunderstorms and heavy rain for Madison WI, Chicago IL, and the Quad Cites. 

It's quite possible Cedar Rapids could get no rain from this and could get into a bad drought. 

Yep, it's not going to be our night.  All the heavy showers are passing north and south.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Disappointed that we had a good chance of storms but everything dried up quickly. Starting to need a decent rain here. Irrigation season hasn’t started around here, which is unusual, but without rain in the next few days it will start up by early next week is what I hear from my relatives that farm 3000 acres of corn and soybeans. The best summer they ever had for least amount of irrigation was 1993.

Cedar Rapids dome kicked in! Lol. That last storm literally fell apart and never made it here Haha. Oh well

With the number of times this has happened in 2019 in Cedar Rapids (By my count it's 8 times) it's not funny anymore. Now, I don't even look forward to thunderstorm chances anymore because I now will just assume Cedar Rapids won't get any good storms. For all we know, we could go the whole summer and not see one severe thunderstorm. 

I just think it's weird how it is only Cedar Rapids that has to have a dome.

I guess the whole ring of fire is going to be a massive dud here. I take it tomorrow and Thursday don't look good either.

Yes I noticed how it fell apart just before reaching CR and expected to see some interesting comments about that again. But I’m still hopeful we’ll get a heavy storm sometime this week with daily chances. There isn’t enough shear for organized convection, today at least.
  • Like 1

The total rain fall here at my house yesterday was 1.11” it came in two events one in the morning of 0.55” and another in the evening of 0.56” The evening event had some wind with it but nowhere near the 55 MPH reported at GRR. Around the area Muskegon set a new record for July 2nd rain fall with 2.12” but GRR only had 0.46” Lansing 0.47” and down at Kalamazoo just 0.10” fell

At this time the temperature is 70 both here at my house and at GRR. With all of the rain so far this year the grass is still very green and my tomato garden (and flowers) are doing real good at this time.

• Like 2

Currently at 72F w hazy skies and dew is in the low 70s. Storms today will be very sporadic, unlike yesterday they were more numerous.

With the number of times this has happened in 2019 in Cedar Rapids (By my count it's 8 times) it's not funny anymore. Now, I don't even look forward to thunderstorm chances anymore because I now will just assume Cedar Rapids won't get any good storms. For all we know, we could go the whole summer and not see one severe thunderstorm. 

I just think it's weird how it is only Cedar Rapids that has to have a dome.

Dubuque was having the same issue until that nasty storm on Sunday. The nice thing is, it only takes one storm to really change things and make you forget about all the misses you've had. Hope your luck starts to change here this week. 

We had some rain last night. Nothing too much. Got to see some decent lightning from it, but only got 0.12" of rain with it. 

I picked up 0.07" of rain last night.

Models are pretty sparse with the pop-up storms this afternoon/evening.  i'm not a fan of this pattern.  I like organized storm clusters.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Thundering a little here. I like how cells are popping up down here for a change. Was interesting to watch the cu grow taller in the last hour or two.

Edit: There’s a small dome right over my place. The cell was heading for me, but somehow skipped around and blew up a heavy cell now moving toward IC. & N. Liberty area. First outflow from the sw. but now from the ne. Little if any c/g lightning though continuous incloud. At least it cooled off some. Temp hits the 90°s every day.

A cluster of storms is organizing south of CR, moving north.  These storms are pulse-y, though, so parts of these clusters can crap out at any time.  You don't know if you'll get much until it's over you.

• Like 1

A cluster of storms is organizing south of CR, moving north. These storms are pulse-y, though, so parts of these clusters can crap out at any time. You don't know if you'll get much until it's over you.

Watching the radar and I am cautiously optimistic about those storms.

The heavy stuff due south of me has veered east and should miss CR.

Jesus..... the storms are totally crapping out now as they move over CR.  What a joke.

• Like 1

89*. 50% humidity

That’s freakin awesome for Texas on the 4th!!!

Windy. But tomorrow will be one for the books.

I’m used to melting. This is heaven.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I know this isn't our area but, baked Alaska anyone?

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_T850a_nhem_21.png

Crazy stuff!
ak-rec-heat-july2019.jpg?v=at&w=485&h=27

The jet stream pattern responsible for what may be a record heat wave in parts of southern Alaska, including Anchorage, from July 4th into the following week.
At a Glance
  • Alaska's largest city may swelter in a record heat wave from July 4th into next week.
  • Highs well into the 80s, to near 90 degrees are possible, threatening the city's all-time record high.
  • An expansive dome of high pressure aloft is the culprit for this stifling heat.
  • Other parts of Alaska have set notable heat records in the past week.
  • Ice coverage near Alaska's arctic set a record low in June.

A heat wave will intensify over Alaska from the Fourth of July into next week and threaten all-time record highs in parts of the state, but most notably in the state's largest city, Anchorage.

An unusually strong dome of high pressure aloft will intensify and spread over our 49th state the next several days.

According to UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain, the strength of this high-pressure dome could break all-time records over Alaska. Its intensity mirrors a dome forecast to produce 90 degree temperatures over the central and southern U.S.

Sinking air in this high-pressure dome will suppress rain, leading to plenty of sunshine and record warmth.

This heat dome won't ease off over western Alaska until next week.

• Like 3

Feels muggy here in SEMI as temps soar to near 90F w humid conditions. A warm and uncomfortable night is in stored for tanite as well w readings near 70F.

Crazy stuff!

ak-rec-heat-july2019.jpg?v=at&w=485&h=27

The jet stream pattern responsible for what may be a record heat wave in parts of southern Alaska, including Anchorage, from July 4th into the following week.

At a Glance

• Alaska's largest city may swelter in a record heat wave from July 4th into next week.
  • Highs well into the 80s, to near 90 degrees are possible, threatening the city's all-time record high.
  • An expansive dome of high pressure aloft is the culprit for this stifling heat.
  • Other parts of Alaska have set notable heat records in the past week.
  • Ice coverage near Alaska's arctic set a record low in June.
A heat wave will intensify over Alaska from the Fourth of July into next week and threaten all-time record highs in parts of the state, but most notably in the state's largest city, Anchorage.

An unusually strong dome of high pressure aloft will intensify and spread over our 49th state the next several days.

According to UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain, the strength of this high-pressure dome could break all-time records over Alaska. Its intensity mirrors a dome forecast to produce 90 degree temperatures over the central and southern U.S.

Sinking air in this high-pressure dome will suppress rain, leading to plenty of sunshine and record warmth.

This heat dome won't ease off over western Alaska until next week.

Low solar, high lat blocking at its finest. I think the late 1970s or 1910s hold the record high.

• Like 2

89*. 50% humidity

That’s freakin awesome for Texas on the 4th!!!

Windy. But tomorrow will be one for the books.

I’m used to melting. This is heaven.

That’s not bad for Texas. It got up to 93° here today. We’re having quite a heat wave! Heat index goes over 100° every day.
  • Like 1

Happy 4th of July everyone!  Happy 243th B Day America!

D-oEZggXsAAUxVO.jpg

This is the greatest nation in the world and I'm proud to be an American.  I'm thankful for our veterans, military and our founding fathers who started this great nation.  Have a splendid, safe, warm and relaxing day among your family and friends.  #freedom #USA #grilling  #boating  #fireworks

I went out to catch some local fireworks last night and the conditions were ideal.  We had a decent lake breeze that kicked in along with clear skies and very comfy temps in the low 70's.  Storms may rumble in the area later tonight which may not be as ideal for festivities. 

• Like 7

Earlier in the week all the local mets had the best chance of storms on Thursday.  Now that we are there, the CAMs are showing nothing today.  Are we really going to go the entire "active" week with only a few hundredths of an inch of rain?

• Like 2