August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Yep.

It was forgotten by many people after a month of clouds and frequent rain. Human nature.

It sucked. Sh*t happens. Bad timing.

No reason to rehash it again.

All you’ve done is rehash it.

• Like 1

All you’ve done is rehash it.

I have no interest in discussing it.   Did not even think about it today.   Just responding to posts directed at me... which I will always do.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15c at 850 today so a pretty absurd overachievement. At this rate they could be at 10 by this time next week. Pretty impressive considering summer hasn’t even started.

Meltdown.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He is going wild over all the 60+ lows at PDX. He thinks the blob is causing the marine layer to be warmer lol. He's like the Tim of the PDX weather community.

I never said anything about the blob and the marine layer... or anything about the warmer overnight lows.    Nor do I care about it.

For much of King County actually... SEA is near the water which helped a bit. My main complaint is that it was crappy EVEN FOR HERE. But Scott Sistek and Cliff Mass acknowledged that it was unusually cloudy in Seattle as well.

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/seattles-july-so-far-gloomier-than-our-snowy-february

This first half of July so far, Seattle has had a whopping score of 117 total over the first 15 days -- meaning an average daily score of... 7.8. E-gads! That's a typical winter score.

Actually, it's even worse than a typical winter score! This past snowy February "only" rated a 7.67!!! January was a 7.4, December a 7.5 and November a 6.9! What?!?

But the theme is clear so far for sun fans: Soak up what ever sunshine you can get this summer!

So glad we are discussing this again. :rolleyes:

It happened. It sucked. Move on.

This is what an actual meltdown looks like for those following along at home.

This is what an actual meltdown looks like for those following along at home.

Those were actually Scott Sistek's excited words. Not mine.

You mock Randy for say anything at all. Turnaround is fair play.

First half of July. That's not a month.

Yeah, grabbing a week of AM low cloud/drizzle and then saying July sucked.  :rolleyes:

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Yeah, grabbing a week of AM low cloud/drizzle and then saying July sucked. :rolleyes:

And on it goes.

Nobody said all of July sucked. The last 2 weeks were perfection. And it was way more than morning clouds. As the stats show. It was cloudier in the first half of July in Seattle than most winter months. Don't try to rewrite history. It happened. Move on.

Or not. Lets keeps discussing it!

Gorgeous day! PDX and TTD start off August hitting 90.

If we go the whole year under 95 that's perfect.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

And on it goes.

Nobody said all of July sucked. The last 2 weeks were perfection. And it was way more than morning clouds. As the stats show. It was cloudier in the first half of July in Seattle than most winter months. Don't try to rewrite history. It happened. Move on.

Or not. Lets keeps discussing it!

I was partially sarcastic on this one.. :P

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Here’s the newest article from Cliff “Why isn’t Seattle literally Fresno” Mass, regarding rain. What a surprise.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-driest-week-of-year-brings-rain-and.html?m=0

Been chilly in Wenatchee!

Yeah, it's been cooler over there than West of the Cascades. From Cliff Mass regarding July:

"Temperatures were cooler than normal over the Cascades and eastern WA, but warmer than normal in parts of western WA. Cool in wildfire land."

Remember, those inter-hourly readings can be fool’s gold...

My guess is they record a high of 89 as of the 5pm reading, then sneak up to 91 at some point in the asphalt boosted, ever-overperforming 5-8pm time frame.

Remember, it depends on the Celsius reading and how the conversion works out. In this case, 32C equals 89.6F.  ;)

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

31.6C doesn’t though. ;)

Wow, I really don't need to be mansplained on this Jesse... You do realize you can look at the raw data in Celsius with decimal points and everything right??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Wow, I really don't need to be mansplained on this Jesse... You do realize you can look at the raw data in Celsius with decimal points and everything right??

Meltdown? ;)

I only know of celcius being rounded to whole numbers in the raw data. If it’s being reporting down to a tenth of a degree C that’s something I didn’t know about, and I would love to know how to access it.

Lots of panic back in May and June on here about how terrible this summer would be and how we would be choking in smoke with everything dying.

I said we don't know what July would bring... but it likely would be wetter than normal after the dry spring. I was mocked for saying it could rain in July. ;)

But it did. And it still quite green as we go into August with the days getting noticeably shorter. And there is no smoke either.

Kinda cracks me up.

Lots of panic back in May and June on here about how terrible this summer would be and how we would be choking in smoke with everything dying.

I said we don't know what July would bring... but it likely would be wetter than normal after the dry spring. I was mocked for saying it could rain in July. ;)

But it did. And it still quite green as we go into August with the days getting noticeably shorter. And there is no smoke either.

Kinda cracks me up.

Definitely seems like you were cracking up a few weeks ago.

Average-ish summers are ruff.

Definitely seems like you were cracking up a few weeks ago.

Average summers are ruff.

Average summers are great! The persistent cloudiness was far from average though... as the stats show and anyone around here can tell you. Temperature stats don't tell the entire story. ;)

72 and cloudy is just as good if not better than 72 and sunny!

Great.    Your personal opinion does not mean its normal.     

Someone else on here said they enjoyed the persistent cloudiness while also recognizing that it was quite unusual for summer here.

Be nice to stop discussing this.   Nothing is going to change.