October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

It is but bring your checkbook.

I better start saving some pocket change  ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

ANALogs Gone Wild

Part 2...Slides West

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

PDX East Sides about to have a rumble and a tumble.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Some lightning in the western gorge with these showers rotating in fro the NE. Definitely an unusual setup.

I was driving through those on the way down from field work earlier. Rain/snow mix as low as 1,600'

(around BZ Corner) with some of those heavy showers. Also several lightning strikes with thunder.

• Like 4

What a weekend we picked for our last field work of the season. Had to hang weather stations and snow cameras at 2 and 3 meters in trees at all the sites. The WNW wind was absolutely roaring up there late yesterday afternoon and evening after FROPA. Must have been 40-50mph over ridge tops. I was up a ladder drilling weather stations into snags and there were points where the tree I was up against was swaying pretty good. Scary but also sort of exciting.

Down at base camp (Morrison Creek) we could hear snags crashing down in the forest around us throughout the evening and night. Luckily the camp spot is far from any trees. Then it went dead calm at some point in the night. Woke up to the ground as hard as iron with a low of 21.

Driving down to hit the other sites this morning we came across a giant ponderosa pine that had fallen across the road, presumably the night before. This is the dead end road up to South Climb on Mt. Adams, so it was our only way out. I had a hatchet but that would have taken forever. Luckily a guy came up the road on the other side of the windfall who had a chainsaw. We sawed up and moved enough of the tree to make a path to get the cars through. Got to the other sites just in time to hit heavy snow and graupel under some of those showers that formed around Adams. Crazy trip!

• Like 8

All of a sudden I'm getting these strange random 40+ mph gusts. Living room wall just got loud. Is it possible I'm getting distant outflow from some thunderstorm well to my north? Considering today's circumstances I really should have had a calm evening.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

It was very interesting driving back from Portland after the meeting today. It got down to 37 or so over Government camp...got up to 42 around Blue Box...then the temp rose to 44 or so the next 10 miles and it started to snow/graupel/hail almost all the way to Warm Springs. Looks like we have some convection firing up near me here in Culver so maybe I get a surprise dusting....who knows? Definitely fun for late Oct.

Upslope orographics on the east side of the Cascades

Amazing improvement with regard the cold airmass early next week in the time I've been gone. Looks like a high in the 40s is possible for many spots on Tuesday.

Did you see my 12z WRF post? Amazing and historic to see that and only 3 days out!

00z GFS in 1 hours 34 minutes

00z GEM in 2 hours 18 minutes

00z ECMWF in 3 hours 51 minutes

• Like 1

What a weekend we picked for our last field work of the season. Had to hang weather stations and snow cameras at 2 and 3 meters in trees at all the sites. The WNW wind was absolutely roaring up there late yesterday afternoon and evening after FROPA. Must have been 40-50mph over ridge tops. I was up a ladder drilling weather stations into snags and there were points where the tree I was up against was swaying pretty good. Scary but also sort of exciting.

Down at base camp (Morrison Creek) we could hear snags crashing down in the forest around us throughout the evening and night. Luckily the camp spot is far from any trees. Then it went dead calm at some point in the night. Woke up to the ground as hard as iron with a low of 21.

Driving down to hit the other sites this morning we came across a giant ponderosa pine that had fallen across the road, presumably the night before. This is the dead end road up to South Climb on Mt. Adams, so it was our only way out. I had a hatchet but that would have taken forever. Luckily a guy came up the road on the other side of the windfall who had a chainsaw. We sawed up and moved enough of the tree to make a path to get the cars through. Got to the other sites just in time to hit heavy snow and graupel under some of those showers that formed around Adams. Crazy trip!

Well that sounded like quite a neat experience.

• Like 1

Did you see my 12z WRF post? Amazing and historic to see that and only 3 days out!

00z GFS in 1 hours 34 minutes

00z GEM in 2 hours 18 minutes

00z ECMWF in 3 hours 51 minutes

I haven’t caught up on posts yet. Looks like there was a lot of activity while I was gone!

Heading to a Halloween party tonight, then tomorrow should be a calmer day.

Get rid of dollar bills as well as pennies. Would save money. Coins cost more to make, but it pays for itself because they last so much longer. $1 bills circulate so fast they don't last more than a year or two. When you think that they've been around for over 100 years, and what inflation has done to their value, it's silly to have them. They didn't make 10¢ and 25¢ notes instead of minting dimes and quarters in 1919.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Get rid of dollar bills as well as pennies. Would save money. Coins cost more to make, but it pays for itself because they last so much longer. $1 bills circulate so fast they don't last more than a year or two. When you think that they've been around for over 100 years, and what inflation has done to their value, it's silly to have them. They didn't make 10¢ and 25¢ notes instead of minting dimes and quarters in 1919.

Analog.

12z WRF

Winter in late October? Yeah. 12z GFS continued the trend of the last 12 GFS runs to progressively shift the arctic trough westward. The result is this run is substantially colder than the cold 00z WRF last night. This looks ridiculously chilly for Tuesday! OH, and the 4km Sounding over PDX shows the east winds ramping up to very strong levels with 50kt wind barbs near the surface and a touch stronger up to 2500'. I have to wonder if this may result in a Wind Advisory for 50mph gusts east of I-205 and I wouldn't rule out a High wind Watch either. Both the 12z GEM and EURO were also colder showing modified arctic air Gorge/east. The fact that we're just 2-3 days away and seeing maps like these is unbelievable for this time of year if not historic! WOW! 1f62e.png

72770496_10218855408127958_152374500380373161296_10218855411568044_4782361524779

I hope 00z looks like this tonight!

• Like 1