October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

What a weekend we picked for our last field work of the season. Had to hang weather stations and snow cameras at 2 and 3 meters in trees at all the sites. The WNW wind was absolutely roaring up there late yesterday afternoon and evening after FROPA. Must have been 40-50mph over ridge tops. I was up a ladder drilling weather stations into snags and there were points where the tree I was up against was swaying pretty good. Scary but also sort of exciting.

Down at base camp (Morrison Creek) we could hear snags crashing down in the forest around us throughout the evening and night. Luckily the camp spot is far from any trees. Then it went dead calm at some point in the night. Woke up to the ground as hard as iron with a low of 21.

Driving down to hit the other sites this morning we came across a giant ponderosa pine that had fallen across the road, presumably the night before. This is the dead end road up to South Climb on Mt. Adams, so it was our only way out. I had a hatchet but that would have taken forever. Luckily a guy came up the road on the other side of the windfall who had a chainsaw. We sawed up and moved enough of the tree to make a path to get the cars through. Got to the other sites just in time to hit heavy snow and graupel under some of those showers that formed around Adams. Crazy trip!

Sounds like a Great time Jesse!,

I notice in La Pine at my brothers place all the  satellite dishes were up high in trees as well.  Apparently the swaying of the tree doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

Just had a louder gust. Someone watching a movie would hear these winds. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

All of a sudden I'm getting these strange random 40+ mph gusts. Living room wall just got loud. Is it possible I'm getting distant outflow from some thunderstorm well to my north? Considering today's circumstances I really should have had a calm evening.

N-S pressure gradient under northerly flow. There have been pretty widespread N winds today across the PNW, down into California. 

• Like 2

N-S pressure gradient under northerly flow. There have been pretty widespread N winds today across the PNW, down into California. 

This was a fast change. An hour ago it was calm.  ;)

My last couple gusts sound like 50 now.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

What a weekend we picked for our last field work of the season. Had to hang weather stations and snow cameras at 2 and 3 meters in trees at all the sites. The WNW wind was absolutely roaring up there late yesterday afternoon and evening after FROPA. Must have been 40-50mph over ridge tops. I was up a ladder drilling weather stations into snags and there were points where the tree I was up against was swaying pretty good. Scary but also sort of exciting.

Down at base camp (Morrison Creek) we could hear snags crashing down in the forest around us throughout the evening and night. Luckily the camp spot is far from any trees. Then it went dead calm at some point in the night. Woke up to the ground as hard as iron with a low of 21.

Driving down to hit the other sites this morning we came across a giant ponderosa pine that had fallen across the road, presumably the night before. This is the dead end road up to South Climb on Mt. Adams, so it was our only way out. I had a hatchet but that would have taken forever. Luckily a guy came up the road on the other side of the windfall who had a chainsaw. We sawed up and moved enough of the tree to make a path to get the cars through. Got to the other sites just in time to hit heavy snow and graupel under some of those showers that formed around Adams. Crazy trip!

Awesome! I’d be on cloud nine doing that in those conditions. :wub:

• Like 1

Whoops! Anyone ever tried to edit a post but you had fallen asleep then you're just barely awake and you delete your post thinking you were editing it clicking on the wrong thing. I just did that. That's awesome....

I have an earlier tab open with your exact post still on there, I could printscreen it...

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Have not heard prntscrn in along time.

Well, "Snipping Tool" technically but that gives me vasectomy vibes, so....

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

WTF is prntscrn?

Printscreen. Key on a keyboard that basically takes a screenshot of the screen and can be pasted as a photo on various applications like Word.

• Like 1

FML, I was following up on GH's earlier "wtf is a checkbook" slant

I’m a wee bit stoned on this fine Satrday night so I’m not sure I’m even following along, lol

• Like 2

I’m a wee bit stoned on this fine Satrday night so I’m not sure I’m even following along, lol

Durban Poison for me right now.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Durban Poison for me right now.

Nice. Purple Haze with a few supplements to broaden the sine wave for me.

• Like 1

BS. You pick one of the most common names for a weed brand and then use another term that has to do with mathematics... gimme a break.

I don’t know whether to pity you or laugh my a** off.

They’re called “strains”, not “brands”, and at this point in my life I stick with what I know. PH and ACDC are my easy go-to’s (the latter I find more relaxing and often use during the workweek, for different reasons than the former). They affect me the same way each time, so I can experiment on the periphery on occasion.

Did I miss the model riding from over night or did they all turn to crap?

When is the next historic 55/30 day?

Why are you even asking if you don’t care?

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

06z gfs looks pretty good around day 10, but not going to get too excited about anything in the mid to long range just yet. No real consensus on how this next pattern is going to play out the first week of November.

Down to 37 here this morning at the moment.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0