October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Dec 2007 Gale event was one in particular that sticks out in my memory banks. There was one day at school I swear it was 63 degrees with moderate/heavy rain coming down in Beaverton.

And after coming here in K-Falls ones like in October 2016 stick out in the Basin. I remember on the mornings of Oct 26th-27th at 6-7am I had my window wide open, listening to the buckets of rain falling. Also one in November (can't recall the date) as well that was definitely not a cold rain for my area. The air that filled my house that Fall was great.

I don't mind diverse winters either ('16-'17 pleased just about everybody). Even though most snows are like "meh" in this area, I did enjoy the Jan 3-4 2017 event as it was unfolding. Seeing the snow outside pile up and bury town in the early morning while having red wine was pretty fun!

Come Turkey Day (for us, "Ham Day" lol) I actually wouldn't mind a snow blast like Nov 2010. Until then, let there be rain. :P

Change my mind, 2016-2017 was the best winter since 2008. Everyone in the I-5 corridor got something substantial, from Medford to Bellingham. Even CA got hammered and it all but eradicated their drought. It had something for everyone in the NW. Unlike some of the more selective winters.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Looks like more showers are moving NE in the SW interior with one particularly strong cell north of Longview. Next front also visible about to hit the coast.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I know you weren’t talking to me, but I’ll chip in anyways— my favorite was December 7-10, 2015. I think my area got at least six inches of rain in that time period, and it’s the only time I’ve ever been woken up by the weather.

Wasn’t alive, but I’m sure February 1996 and November 1996 were cool events too.

Dec 2015 was another nice one for sure. Well, the beginning of that month anyway. I took amtrak to visit my brother in Wilsonville that month and in my first couple of days over there (9th-10th) we had some pretty wild stuff. They don't have an official station but early on the 9th there were power flashes I observed right outside the apartment. Winds must have been 55-60 in that one. His cat was pretty alert, eyes just glued out the windows. lol

Then we had t'storms and hail on the 10th. 

When we saw Star Wars Ep 7 at the theater it was 33-35 degree rain, the stuff I'm sure everybody dreads including me.

While it was flooding in Portland that December, it was dumping snow in Klamath Falls. That turned out to be my single snowiest month at this house in the 2010's so far at 33.1". On Christmas morning our shed collapsed with depths around 18".

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I distinctly remember you not enjoying some previous pineapple expresses.

When there is bad flooding of course.    Most people don't like that.

But generally speaking... I like getting lots of rain in a quick manner.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not necessarily. I also prefer focused heavy rain events as opposed to constant light rain for weeks on end. I like getting to normal rainfall as quickly and efficiently as possible.

But I also don't mind cold and dry. In fact... sometimes that is downright beautiful. We just had some colder than normal days that were absolutely gorgeous. So complex!

I’ve said this before, but I think the Mid-Atlantic is the perfect climate for you in particular. Focused downpours, dry/sunny winters, and tropical summers.

Tim-tastic in every way.

• Like 2

I’ve said this before, but I think the Mid-Atlantic is the perfect climate for you. Focused rain, dry/sunny winters, and tropical summers. Tim-tastic in every way.

I would probably enjoy living in the DC suburbs or maybe the Maryland coastal area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I would probably enjoy living in the DC suburbs or maybe the Maryland coastal area.

My hunch is you’d prefer inland. Ridgelines and lakes, less people, less traffic, less expensive. The coast is crowded af these days.

• Like 1

I’ve said this before, but I think the Mid-Atlantic is the perfect climate for you in particular. Focused downpours, dry/sunny winters, and tropical summers.

Tim-tastic in every way.

You are always recommending that westerners move somewhere in the east. :lol:

For some reason, it rarely happens. 

A forum for the end of the world.

You are always recommending that westerners move somewhere in the east. :lol:

For some reason, it rarely happens.

Lol, you are just so full of s**t sometimes.

Tim and HeatSquall are the only people I’ve ever made that recommendation to. And not for reasons that appeal to me (wx-wise). :lol:

Showers have passed and some blue skies are now visible to the SW. next front is moving in so it won’t last long. 0.22” of rain so far today currently 52.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Nah, you've also recommended Snow Wizard move to New England. And others I'm sure I forget.

Horse crap. It came up in a convo and I remarked that Maine reminds me of the PNW to a significant extent. Never suggested he move there.

• Like 1

Nah, you've also recommended Snow Wizard move to New England. And others I'm sure I forget.

I think Phil recommended that I move as well...but I forget what his suggested destination was for me.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Lmao. You guys better hope winter shows up this year or I’m trolling this place into oblivion. :P

• Like 2

It’s not always like that I think that happens in a lot of other places as well. I’ve noticed a few select areas around the sound that it seems to happen less often to however.

We also have gotten lucky on a lot of occasions here at my house so it evens out. Couple of examples would be last fall on 10/28 and 11/27 when we got slammed several times in one day by heavy rain/hail and thunderstorms. Also in February 2011 is the luckiest I’ve ever been here...7” of snow while in Seattle and auburn and a few areas to the south got nothing or only an inch or two. You just never know, I think it all balances out.

You are probably right....I’m just greedy and want it all! 

You can say all sorts of things about me, but I don't make things up, Phil.

I didn’t say anything about you.

See? You literally just made something up. :lol:

He suggested I move to Hell. Or at least pay it a visit.

The east part, of course.

We’re already in it, babes. There are only two ways out of the maze.

Nice plume of moisture hitting NW Oregon, with some instability and thunder off the coast.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife