November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Just to give a clear idea of how mild Janaury has been since 1980 just consider the following.  Using data for the Puget Sound Lowlands (an average of all stations)…

1. All of the top 20 coldest Janauries since 1895 were from 1980 or earlier.

2. The five coldest all had monthly averages below 30.0 while the coldest so far this century averaged 36.0 which ranked number 26.

3. 2017 is the only January this century to be in  the top 30.

The fact that February has suddenly stepped up to the plate gives me great hope January can begin to deliver once again at any time.  For the longest time since 1980 (especially 1991 - 2010) almost all of our really anomalously cold months were either November or December.  Now with February coming on board the argument that we are doomed to all winters being front loaded is blown out of the water.  January almost has to come back.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So it is an assumption, thats weird, since MTD for him is 0, and if projected to the end of the month as of now, it would end at a 0 departure.

You really are a dunderhead.

• Like 1

Today on the board has essentially been a ‘random events plot’

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

So it is an assumption, thats weird, since MTD for him is 0, and if projected to the end of the month as of now, it would end at a 0 departure.

MTD for him is actually -2.

I don't believe that you are trolling. I think you actually don't understand the concept of a month to date average versus an overall monthly average, and the bearing that has on the overall departure of the month when the averages are changing (in this case dropping) from day to day.

• Like 1

MTD for him is actually -2.

I don't believe that you are trolling. I think you actually don't understand the concept of a month to date average versus an overall monthly average, and the bearing that has on the overall departure of the month when the averages are changing (in this case dropping) from day to day.

I understand that completely. His post I originally replied to did not make sense IMO.

Honey Math, wtf?

It’s called a running average. Early Nov is warmer than late Nov. The same exact temperature will register cooler vs climo early in the month compared to later in the month because normals are cooler later in the month.

It’s called a running average. Early November is warmer than late November. The same exact temperature will register cooler vs climo early in the month compared later in the month because normals are cooler later in the months.

Totally get that, but what is honey math?

Good news for the ledge jumpers. No correlation between November temps and the subsequent DJF anomaly in the PNW region.

2No6Ro4.jpg

• Like 2