12/15 - 12/17 Plains/OHV Slider

Tom

Not thrilled with the model runs so far today, but I'm still ok with being on the northwest periphery at this time range. More often than not the trend is north within 48 hours. The increasing separation between the waves is also good news up this way. 0z could change my tune completely though...

• Like 2

Not thrilled with the model runs so far today, but I'm still ok with being on the northwest periphery at this time range. More often than not the trend is north within 48 hours. The increasing separation between the waves is also good news up this way. 0z could change my tune completely though...

Maybe tomorrow we will see some better runs as we get some sampling on the "Pacific Energy."

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Local forecasts going with a general 2-4” in my area. Some may get 5”, some may get as little as 1”. Very light winds so probably very minimal travel concerns from what I’m reading. Doesn’t mean there won’t be some snow covered roads by tomorrow morning.

Be happy with whatever you get from this system, it looks like we are in for another big fat nothing burger for those of us in East Central Nebraska. Back to normal around here after our near record snowfall Winter season last year... I forgot the common past result that we get missed to the north and to the south by storm systems this time of year.

I am over it though, bring on the warmer weather in 40's next week, it's the only good thing about this weather pattern right now.  

• Like 5

Be happy with whatever you get from this system, it looks like we are in for another big fat nothing burger for those of us in East Central Nebraska. Back to normal around here after our near record snowfall Winter season last year... I forgot the common past result that we get missed to the north and to the south by storm systems this time of year.

I am over it though, bring on the warmer weather in 40's next week, it's the only good thing about this weather pattern right now.

Yep. Never expecting much, so a couple of inches would sure make it look like the Christmas season. Will melt off quickly this week unfortunately.

• Like 1

Jaster--

We are still looking ok I guess.

Fwiw:

Later Monday, the accumulating snow will reach the central Appalachians and is expected to bend northward toward the lower Great Lakes region as well. So not only can people in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo, New York, expect accumulating snow from the storm, but some snow is in store for Chicago, Detroit and Toronto.

NewStormSnap.jpg?w=632

Thx Niko buddy, but their maps may be lagging behind the consensus forecast. Guess we could end up getting a last minute surprise (been a few this year) but until it's happening I'll just remain glad for Clinton and others down in NE/KS/MO and any one else who scores. Ho Ho Ho! Santa was shopping today  :lol:

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Thx Niko buddy, but their maps may be lagging behind the consensus forecast. Guess we could end up getting a last minute surprise (been a few this year) but until it's happening I'll just remain glad for Clinton and others down in NE/KS/MO and any one else who scores. Ho Ho Ho! Santa was shopping today  :lol:

2nd piece of energy coming on shore now, so tonights models should tell us where that will go.

• Like 3

Lezak just posted he favors the Euro based on the satellite presentation of the energy coming ashore and his analysis of the models. He also mentioned the NAM coming more in line with the Euro. The 00z guidance should be interesting with the energy on shore. More surprises ahead? :) :(

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

2nd piece of energy coming on shore now, so tonights models should tell us where that will go.

Yep....important piece of energy that models could be missing. I'd give it tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

April 2024:

I thought of that as well. :blink:

I like surprises! :D

• Like 1

April 2024:

Clinton--

What type of headline does ya area have attm.

April 2024:

18z Euro was weaker with second wave, hope the 00z runs rebound a little.

1576584000-dqHhtQpM61A.png

1576591200-hetJs4Y8A3Q.png

I would guess KC will be pretty well shut down Monday morning if the storm verifies. I have nephews at KU and Rockhurst University whom I’d guess wouldn’t mind a snow day. My brother already told me he is going to work from home in Shawnee Monday and not drive to his office down at the Plaza.

• Like 1

I would guess KC will be pretty well shut down Monday morning if the storm verifies. I have nephews at KU and Rockhurst University whom I’d guess wouldn’t mind a snow day. My brother already told me he is going to work from home in Shawnee Monday and not drive to his office down at the Plaza

I expect my kids to have a snow day on Mon and maybe Tues.  Last year the first big powdery snow caused some horrible accidents on I70 so I hope we don't have a repeat of that.

• Like 1

I expect my kids to have a snow day on Mon and maybe Tues. Last year the first big powdery snow caused some horrible accidents on I70 so I hope we don't have a repeat of that.

I would say that’d be a good call. We’ve already used 2 snow days and wouldn’t want to use a third before Christmas vacation. Our school district builds in hours, about 5 days worth or so, before we have to start making up days. Our worst weather seems to always be January to April. Good luck

• Like 1

I would say that’d be a good call. We’ve already used 2 snow days and wouldn’t want to use a third before Christmas vacation. Our school district builds in hours, about 5 days worth or so, before we have to start making up days. Our worst weather seems to always be January to April. Good luck

Thanks can't wait for the flakes to start flying.

Clinton,

So, the 4-6 inches shown for KC is basically the warm advection snows tomorrow and then nothing Monday for KC? (18z Euro)

The Euro only had an inch or 2 on the last run for Monday.  Gary showed the satallite picture of the second storm coming on shore and it looked impressive to him.  Lets see what the 00z runs show for monday,  My gut says 2-3 tomorrow with an additional 3-5 on Monday.

How odd. I was in 2 rows of counties that were not placed on the winter weather advisory to my north and south this morning and afternoon. I’ve now been added. It just looked so strange to have advisories 25 miles north and south.

Very strange,  Seems like my office is still trying to figure things out also.

I don’t expect it to live up to last winter since that was one of the snowiest on record for southeast Nebraska. But something slightly above average (Like 30-35”) would be nice. We just have to hope things get cranking by sometime in January.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"