April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

12z ECMWF forecast for Portland

Apr 29: 70/34
Apr 30: 74/39
May 1: 76/44
May 2: 79/47
May 3: 77/50

Can't ask for a better stretch of spring wx in the PNW.

ECMWF ensemble mean is a tad cooler but still 70-75 Apr 29 to May 2, then 65-70 on May 3. Warmest members are 80-85.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

One of those spotty shower days down here, gets sunny every 20 minutes or so. Very comfortable and humid even while raining, so this is a great day for some fresh air regardless. On a lightning map it appears some showers have become brief storms.

57 and partly sunny right now.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

12z ECMWF forecast for Portland

Apr 29: 70/34

Apr 30: 74/39

May 1: 76/44

May 2: 79/47

May 3: 77/50

Can't ask for a better stretch of spring wx in the PNW.

ECMWF ensemble mean is a tad cooler but still 70-75 Apr 29 to May 2, then 65-70 on May 3. Warmest members are 80-85.

I really like that EURO output. The chilly lows at the onset would make this a pretty enjoyable event for me. Big fan of wide diurnal temp swings.

I really like that EURO output. The chilly lows at the onset would make this a pretty enjoyable event for me. Big fan of wide diurnal temp swings.

GFS is singing a different tune.

Both models are sticking to the guns... if not digging in their heels even more.   

Either way it will be drier.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS is singing a different tune.

Both models are sticking to the guns... if not digging in their heels even more.   

Either way it will be drier.

The GFS and the EURO have come into agreement, if anything, the past few days. At least from what I can tell.

18Z GFS takes a step toward the EURO as far the event's timing is concerned.

The GFS and the EURO have come into agreement, if anything, the past few days. At least from what I can tell.

18Z GFS takes a step toward the EURO as far the event's timing is concerned.

I see the 18Z run did come around very well.    I think I was looking at the 12Z run by mistake.

Good news!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’ve been in Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, and now Florida since March 26th. I’m itching to get back to some cooler, wetter weather. I haven’t felt a high below 80 in almost a month.  I think 6 weeks will be about my threshold. May 13th seems so far away!

I’ve been in Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, and now Florida since March 26th. I’m itching to get back to some cooler, wetter weather. I haven’t felt a high below 80 in almost a month.  I think 6 weeks will be about my threshold. May 13th seems so far away!

I think you mean May 16th. Godzilla looks awesome. 

• Like 1

Are we having fun yet?  I am so freeking tired of rain I could vomit.  This is normally my least favorite time of the year for weather and this year is way worse than normal.  The lack of cool and crisp weather and extreme excess of rain is quite un-enjoyable IMO.

To me it's always funny to hear people talk about how "good" our weather is here compared to many other parts of the country.   Are they actually serious?  It seems to me like they are living in denial.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Are we having fun yet?  I am so freeking tired of rain I could vomit.  This is normally my least favorite time of the year for weather and this year is way worse than normal.  The lack of cool and crisp weather and extreme excess of rain is quite un-enjoyable IMO.

To me it's always funny to hear people talk about how "good" our weather is here compared to many other parts of the country.   Are they actually serious?  It seems to me like they are living in denial.

That was something you would often talk about before you entered this mid-life crisis or whatever that is going on.

Do you always travel?  Where do you get all of the money?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That was something you would often talk about before you entered this mid-life crisis or whatever that is going on.

I really wish I knew why my attitude has turned so sour this year.  I think it's just finally realizing I have fooled myself for too long thinking we could actually get back into a 1946 through early 1970s type regime again.  I should have moved to somewhere with a more continental climate a long time ago.

As for the weather this spring...it's pretty hard to avoid the fact it's been a disappointment for people who like to see a couple of shots of Canadian air during the spring.  No freezes here this month.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I really wish I knew why my attitude has turned so sour this year.  I think it's just finally realizing I have fooled myself for too long thinking we could actually get back into a 1946 through early 1970s type regime again.  I should have moved to somewhere with a more continental climate a long time ago.

As for the weather this spring...it's pretty hard to avoid the fact it's been a disappointment for people who like to see a couple of shots of Canadian air during the spring.  No freezes here this month.

The mild lows have been frustrating this month. I think we have some good years ahead, though. I really do believe that. 

I know it wasn't great in your backyard but this winter was pretty solid for much of the region. I suppose that could explain your sour mood to some extent. Nothing worse than feeling left out.

Everyone around here is saying essentially the same thing.    Its been insanely bad for our areas.   

Are we having fun yet? I am so freeking tired of rain I could vomit. This is normally my least favorite time of the year for weather and this year is way worse than normal. The lack of cool and crisp weather and extreme excess of rain is quite un-enjoyable IMO.

To me it's always funny to hear people talk about how "good" our weather is here compared to many other parts of the country. Are they actually serious? It seems to me like they are living in denial.

I think that statement actually holds true during the dog days of summer.

Once into June/July, the PNW is usually one of the few places that is not blowtorching or swamping. The summers out here are so humid that visibility is reduced. Last summer, we had 11 days straight with a dewpoint above 80 degrees.

It's like you're walking in a steam room, but you feel no difference in temperature between the sun and shade. It's inescapable.

I think that statement actually holds true during the dog days of summer.

Once into June/July, the PNW is usually one of the few places that is not blowtorching or swamping. The summers out here are so humid that visibility is reduced.

Last summer, we had 11 days straight with a dewpoint above 80 degrees.

BS

Prove it.   

BS

Prove it.

Do you want me to take a picture of the readings from my VPII for each day?

Jesus Christ. Why would I make something like that up? The GCA data can be found online. It's not like I could get away with it.

Do you want me to take a picture of the readings from my VPII for each day? Jesus Christ.

Why would I make something like that up? The GCA data can be found online.

Even in Florida that would be almost impossible.   Maybe mid to upper 70s but no way 11 straight days with a dewpoint above 80 at 3,000 feet in elevation in Maryland.   Show me any station close to you that could support this 11-day claim.

Even in Florida that would be almost impossible.

Maybe mid to upper 70s but no way 11 straight days with a dewpoint above 80 at 3,000 feet in elevation in Maryland.

No frickin way.

Show me any station close to you that could support this 11-day claim.

:huh:

South FL sees 80 degree dewpoints on a semi-regular basis, actually...usually when the trade winds weaken. Dewpoints have hit 85 degrees across the corn belt. DCA and RIC both recorded more than one day with 80 degree dewpoints just last summer.

You don't seem to have a clue.

The terrain circulations here produce stark variations in the dewpoint over short distances as air parcels expand and the heavier tri-atomic molecules pool and condense in the convective eddies. Often you get lee-trough development and a drying on the downsloping flank of the eddy as a result, with increased moisture in the lift-columns.

Tell me what 11 days you are referencing and I will look it myself.    

:huh:

South FL sees 80 degree dewpoints on a semi-regular basis, actually...usually when the trade winds weaken. Dewpoints have hit 85 degrees across the corn belt. DCA and RIC both recorded more than one day with 80 degree dewpoints just last summer.

You don't seem to have a clue.

I know all too well that the dewpoint CAN get into the low 80s.    But its not sustainable.    And if DCA had one day in the low 80s... how in the hell would you have 11-straight days of that at 3,000 feet?  DCA is in a swamp at sea level and they can't get more than 1-2 days!  

Just tell me what 11 straight days you are referencing... thats all.   

I know all too well that the dewpoint CAN get into the low 80s. But its not sustainable.

And if DCA had one day in the low 80s... how in the hell would you have 11-straight days of that at 3,000 feet??? :lol:

DCA is in a swamp at sea level and they can't get more than 1-2 days!

It's called rainfall and terrain eddy-circulations. Look at what happens over China and India constantly.

The terrain circulations ( including those here) produce stark variations in the dewpoint over short distances as air parcels expand and the heavier tri-atomic molecules pool and condense in the convective eddies. Often you get lee-trough development and a drying on the downsloping flank of the eddy as a result, with increased moisture in the lifted-columns.

It's called rainfall and terrain eddy-circulations. Look at what happens over China and India constantly.

The terrain circulations here produce stark variations in the dewpoint over short distances as air parcels expand and the heavier tri-atomic molecules pool and condense in the convective eddies. Often you get lee-trough development and a drying on the downsloping flank of the eddy as a result, with increased moisture in the lifted-columns.

Tell what 11 days you are referencing.   And you don't have 80-degree dewpoints at 3,000 feet.    I don't care what eddy your house swirls in...just silly.      :lol:

I will just look at the McHenry readings.   

Just tell me what 11 straight days you are referencing... thats all.

It was mid-late July, after we had over 20" of rain in 3 weeks. Confirmed by WISP and GCA.

I admit that VPII stations can have a high-bias when it comes to dewpoints, but it's no more than 3-5 degrees.

McHenry, MD (just a few miles away and a little lower than you) did not have 11-straight days with a HIGH TEMPERATURE above 80 all of last summer.

Tell what 11 days you are referencing.

And you don't have 80-degree dewpoints at 3,000 feet. I don't care what eddy your house swirls in...just silly BS. :lol:

I will just look at the McHenry readings.

I live in SW Oakland, on Ridge Rd.

Dewpoint is a function of parcel-capacity, thus highly dependent on rainfall.

McHenry, MD (just a few miles away and a little lower than you) did NOT have 11-straight days with a HIGH TEMPERATURE above 80 last summer!

In fact... most lows are in the upper 50s and low 60s.

In fact... your summer weather looks absolutely delightful if not a little too cool.

Tell me how you had dewpoints above 80 with high temps in the 70s and lows in the 60??

No eddy can explain that silly BS. :lol:

You're just making s**t up now.

First you say 80F dewpoints in south FL are impossible, then you pivot and invent data. Love it.

Phil... if you leave that beautiful summer weather and move to the WA coast your wife will divorce you!   

Your area is advertised as a tourist area in the summer to escape the heat and humidity in DC and Baltimore... and as a snow playground in the winter.  

You're just making s**t up now.

First you say 80F dewpoints in south FL are impossible, then you pivot and invent data. Love it.

Never said impossible. I said I know its very possible in fact.    But not sustainable.    Not for 11 days at 3,000 feet in elevation,    That is just common sense.

You're referring to this station: http://m.weatherbug.com/MD/McHenry-weather/local-weather/current-conditions/K2G4?units=English&wndunits=MPH

It says the dewpoint is 4F right now...it's been classified as "unreliable" by NCDC.

Nice choice. :)