April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Somewhat surprisingly another foggy morning here.  I looked at my records for the last 18 years and April averages one foggy day.  The most foggy days I've seen in April is 3.

Either way, would be nice to be out of the fog before the clouds increase.

Tim should move to Amanda Park, WA.

Yes... I could live in a moss-covered trailer with rotting and rusting cars all over the yard.    And sit on my patio in a folding lawn chair and enjoy some meth and watch it rain!       

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A few low clouds down here in Salem, but just high clouds up at my place. 

Looks like another nice day.  

Some rain overnight and then back to nice weather again until further notice.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yes... I could live in a moss-covered trailer with rotting and rusting cars all over the yard. And sit on my patio in a folding lawn chair and enjoy some meth and watch it rain!

Sounds like you have some demons to work out.

Sounds like you have some demons to work out.

Not me.    Its a sopping wet, depressing Appalachia over there in many places.    :lol:

Just the way it is.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not me. Its a sopping wet, depressing Appalachia over there in many places. :lol:

Just the way it is.

Your obsession with how miserable and depressed the people in certain regions of our state must be is bizarre.

One thing I know for sure, there is one VERY miserable North Bend resident out there!

Your obsession with how miserable and depressed the people in certain regions of our state must be is bizarre.

One thing I know for sure, there is one VERY miserable North Bend resident out there!

??

I did not bring it up... but when people are discussing living on the WA coast there is not much good to say.

As Jim said... it would drive him suicidal.    :lol:

Front did end up slowing down.

Quite warm here with a convective looking sky.    64 degrees right now and a fair amount of sunshine.

The 12Z ECMWF shows the front energizing as it moves through this evening.   Very dynamic looking considering it looks very weak right now.   Might be some thunder this evening given the warm conditions now here.   

And we wake up to sunshine tomorrow.    This is some April weather I can get behind.  :)

??

I did not bring it up... but when people are discussing living on the WA coast there is not much good to say.

As Jim said... it would drive him suicidal. :lol:

Seems to be a favorite pet topic of yours, though. Truth is, there are people with "good" and "bad" lives everywhere.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who live on the Washington coast that are perfectly happy with their lives and love their location if anything. Characterizing them all as miserable meth addicts is offensive.

Seems to be a favorite pet topic of yours, though. Truth is, there are people with "good" and "bad" lives everywhere.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who live on the Washington coast that are perfectly happy with their lives and love their location if anything. Characterizing them all as miserable meth addicts is offensive.

Meth use is rampant out there.   I never said that everyone was a meth addict... but there are enough to make it a good characterization of the region.   You have no problem stereotyping people in other parts of the country.    I am sure there are some happy people... but the overall lack of care with their property out there speaks loudly to their general outlook on life.     Just a fact.    

Pointless debate anyways... lets just drop it.   Everyone knows the deal with the WA coast.   The only reason it came up is because Phil was going to look at homes there.   

I would lose my mind if I lived on the coast.  Less cold, less snow, and WAY more clouds.  Yuck.

I'd like the wind. Seems 60-70mph is more of a frequent occurrence in parts.

But just about everything else I might get sick of. It's like how K-Falls gets an excess amount of sunny/clear days and the coast gets an excess amount of clouds and rain. I can't get middle ground in either of these places :P

Right now I'm loving it here, but typically by September and October I tend to enjoy more of the overcast days in the 60's.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Somewhat surprisingly another foggy morning here.  I looked at my records for the last 18 years and April averages one foggy day.  The most foggy days I've seen in April is 3.

Either way, would be nice to be out of the fog before the clouds increase.

Coming from Hillsboro (lived there from 2004 to 2010) I don't recall any April fog actually. Must be more of a PDX/VUO metro thing. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

-

.. 72°, here in Bend right now.

Or just south of it, on 97 in Deschutes River Woods.

Temperatures fairly consistent in central and eastern parts of Oregon. A few degrees cooler in the Willamatte Valley but consistent up and down I-5.

How is the skiing?  

Temperatures fairly consistent in central and eastern parts of Oregon. A few degrees cooler in the Willamatte Valley but consistent up and down I-5.

How is the skiing?  

hey "chinook".

... One of my favorite areas. 

Lived briefly, on an 8-acre from just in from Oregon City, back in the early 70s. Nice climate, plenty of more natural fertility.

Skiing otherwise. .. "Groomed" and icy, "marbly" and rough, earlier morning coming down "Olympia", so moved over to "Avalanche" down to "Marshmallow", yesterday.

.. But "sticky" at the bottom, through to the chair, so we quit at noon .. for sure.  Goin' out again tomorrow early.

---

Which parts of Western Washington are currently experiencing sun? The answer might surprise Tim.

I have been watching the satellite all day.   I know what is happening.

And the answer is Forks... that is about it right now.

Although it was partly sunny and very nice here until about 2 p.m.  

I have been watching the satellite all day.   I know what is happening.

And the answer is Forks... that is about it right now.

Although it was partly sunny and very nice here until about 2 p.m.  

Really?  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Really?  

Well sort of... checking on the frontal passage.   My boys went on a hike by themselves and a couple friends today (spring break) and I was not real sure how this thing was going to evolve.  It looked pretty dynamic in the models.  Turned out fine... it was perfect weather while they were gone and started raining just after they returned.   

Well sort of... checking on the frontal passage.   My boys went on a hike by themselves and a couple friends today (spring break) and I was not real sure how this thing was going to evolve.  It looked pretty dynamic in the models.  Turned out fine... it was perfect weather while they were gone and started raining just after they returned.   

I guess we'll give you a pass this time then.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I still say the font color in the user greeting message has got to be changed.  The white gets washed out by the clouds.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess we'll give you a pass this time then.

Are you pretty happy with the weather pattern for the next week or so, Jim? Definitely looks like a few opportunities for some cold nights, crisp weather and sunny days.

Are you pretty happy with the weather pattern for the next week or so, Jim? Definitely looks like a few opportunities for some cold nights, crisp weather and sunny days.

It's not bad.  I wish the clipper would dig in just a little bit more though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Then we would probably get to enjoy a cold rain all weekend.     The way its shown is about as far west as we would want it... dry weather and sunshine is more important right now. 

I agree, although both the EURO and the Canadian are showing it digging a lot farther west than the GFS this Friday/Saturday. In fact the GFS barely shows anything at all during that period.

Who decided that?

Me.   :)

Jim doesn't want a trough that delivers cold rain and frustratingly warm lows and miserably cold high temps either.    He fantasizes about these situations... but they rarely work out the way he wants.    It usually ends up much more cloudy and wet (particularly at his location and mine) than he expects.   

A ridge will do just fine to make Jim happier.   Dry weather... cool nights... fair amount of sunshine.   

Strong onshore push-related PTSD.  

Battle of models for next Monday.    GFS hangs onto nice weather through the weekend and then crashes the party hard on Monday.    The ECMWF is slower and the new 00Z Canadian is solidly ridgy next Monday.    I am betting on the GFS for the win.

00Z GFS at 144 hours:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_144_500_vort_ht.gif

00Z Canadian at 144 hours:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

Spending the next couple nights here in Seaside, the front is just about through here and tomorrow should be very decent.   Although, moisture has not been bad since we got here around 5.

Either way, nice to get away for a couple days and relax and not worry about anything.  All worth it to see the smile on my daughters face.

• Like 1

Battle of models for next Monday.    GFS hangs onto nice weather through the weekend and then crashes the party hard on Monday.    The ECMWF is slower and the new 00Z Canadian is solidly ridgy next Monday.    I am betting on the GFS for the win.

00Z GFS at 144 hours:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_144_500_vort_ht.gif

00Z Canadian at 144 hours:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

It's the Monday after Spring Break.  Rain seems appropriate.  

The NWS is going for frost in the outlying areas tomorrow night.  My favorite weather this time of year.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No c-zone or solid low clouds following the front yesterday.    That is the best angle for a clean frontal passage.     

I also see the that the cross-Cascade gradient is a strong +7.3 this morning... so I am not sure why there is no post-frontal activity or even much in the way of clouds.   

Low of 34 this morning. Somewhat warmer than most mornings here.

I still usually see temperatures below freezing this time of year, sometimes upper 10's - mid 20's.

Like April 25 2013, I had 25 / 74 (49 departure). Even last 2 days of May I had 30 and 31 for lows. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Front came through overnight, brilliant sunshine today. 

Long range is looking like it could be somewhat moist. The rest of this week looks awesome though.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.