2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Still raining here this afternoon, approaching 1" since midnight alone.

The entire Inland Empire has now exceeded their entire season averages for the year, something we all thought was very unlikely to happen just over a month ago. This now being our second consecutive above-average rainy season, is something that hasn't happened since 2009-2010 + 2010-2011.

• Like 1

The eye of the low is over Orange County and just passing over the Santa Ana Mountains now, but it's still pouring here in Murrieta. I'm starting to see breaks in the clouds far to my west, though.

Only 0.22" more is needed for my to surpass last year's total for me.

All the rain late morning and this afternoon has been well to the south and east of me here in Orange. It hasn't rained a drop here since earlier this morning. EDIT: I looked out my window and realized that it has rained a little bit during the last 15 minutes or so, but not enough to entirely wet the driveway, though.

I do see some shower activity approaching my area on the latest radar imagery, so I may see a few showers before this storm departs.

All the rain late morning and this afternoon has been well to the south and east of me here in Orange. It hasn't rained a drop here since earlier this morning. EDIT: I looked out my window and realized that it has rained a little bit during the last 15 minutes or so, but not enough to entirely wet the driveway, though.

I do see some shower activity approaching my area on the latest radar imagery, so I may see a few showers before this storm departs.

Hope you are able to score some more rainfall.

So how long do you think our hills stay green after all of this rain? Will they be brown by June?

Most likely they will be brown by June, I can't think of any year they were still green by that point, not even 2004-2005. I remember we had an unusually strong, cold storm in late May of 2008, and that didn't phase them either.

• Like 1

Most likely they will be brown by June, I can't think of any year they were still green by that point, not even 2004-2005. I remember we had an unusually strong, cold storm in late May of 2008, and that didn't phase them either.

There were several spells of very warm to almost downright hot weather in both April and May of 2008 in coastal and inland coastal Socal due to the abnormally early end of the rainy season that year, which likely helped to dry out the hills. There was one last storm that brought some shower activity, which I believe is the same one you are referring to.

Even during the wettest of winters, the last rains of the season are usually sometime in April or May, and rain in June is very rare. With the rising sun angle and warmer and dry weather, the hills usually do begin to turn brown during June as the winter season annual grasses die off, even if the marine layer may be more dominant than usual.

For this past week's storm, I picked up a total of 2.80" here in Orange, making this the wettest April in quite a long time for this area. Even though April isn't usually nearly as wet of a month as January and February, it has been abnormally dry in recent years since around 2008 or so with the exception of 2010 and 2012, so we were overdue for a wet April.

• Like 1

There were several spells of very warm to almost downright hot weather in both April and May of 2008 in coastal and inland coastal Socal due to the abnormally early end of the rainy season that year, which likely helped to dry out the hills. There was one last storm that brought some shower activity, which I believe is the same one you are referring to.

Even during the wettest of winters, the last rains of the season are usually sometime in April or May, and rain in June is very rare. With the rising sun angle and warmer and dry weather, the hills usually do begin to turn brown during June as the winter season annual grasses die off, even if the marine layer may be more dominant than usual.

2008 was bizarre for temperatures here. Spring was mostly dry and littered with unusually high-amplitude heat waves every couple of weeks or so like you said, although that late May storm was much wetter in my area than LA (produced an inch of rain in Temecula and hail at my house, also two weak tornadoes near March AFB). Summer was uneventful, but then Fall was dominated by constant episodes of offshore flow all the way into early December.

http://www.climatestations.com/images/stories/los-angeles/LACV2008.GIF

• Like 1

Here in Orange, we seem to be getting into our May Gray / June Gloom pattern as of now, only that the temperatures are a few degrees cooler than they would be during this pattern going into May.

However, a brief Santa Ana is forecast sometime tomorrow afternoon and evening, with highs forecast to be 75-80, so the winter pattern is not quite done yet. It looks as if we have at least two more chances for at least some light rain, one around Friday-Saturday, and possibly another about the middle of next week.

I wonder if we are going to have any additional showers in May this year like we have had in recent years? May has actually been wetter for the last several years than it used to be.