2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Today was the warmest day in quite a while here in Orange with temps reaching the upper 70's. Despite the flow being offshore and some light Santa Ana winds being forecast, there was no wind here in Orange, but there may have been some wind closer to the Santa Ana Mountains, such as in Fremont Canyon and other areas like that.

I can't believe the heat is forecast to linger through the entire 7 day period for inland Orange County. A Santa Ana pattern is developing Thursday evening into Friday, which leads to the hottest weather on Friday with low-mid 90's, followed by slight cooling going into Saturday. What is not normal is that highs in the low-upper 80's are forecast for the remainder of the 7 day period, as opposed to a cool down with the return of the marine layer sometime early next week as what normally happens this time of the year. 

Years that are wet during March and April in Socal such as this year has been don't usually feature prolonged heat in April and May. Years that the rainy season shuts down early (either in late February or March little significant rain afterward) tend to have spikes of heat in April and May and there can be several of these spikes in the spring and sometimes have longer lasting spells of heat. This upcoming forecast reminds me of the latter type of winter, as opposed to the former, which we are currently experiencing.

Years with abnormally early ending rainy seasons include the following: 1996-97, 2003-04, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2012-13, 2013-14.

• Like 1

Parts of northern CA have been insanely dry this year, some places even beating out 2013 for dryness so far.

The town of Willows in the Sacramento Valley is at 1.96" precipitation so far in 2020. This beats out 2013 by exactly an inch. The average amount of precipitation by April 22 in Willows is 13.07".

Even though the Santa Ana winds never came up here at my place in Orange, it really warmed up significantly this afternoon reaching a high of about 97. It will still be hot the next couple of days, but not quite to the extent of today.

After this hot spell comes to a close around Tuesday of next week, I predict that in Orange County, both inland and coastal areas will not reach 90 degrees again until late June or early July. Rainy seasons that extend well into April like this year don't usually have a lot of hot weather episodes in late April and May, unlike those seasons like 2004 and 2008 in which the rains ended in late February and early March. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if we get yet a couple more chances of some rainfall, whether it is a cutoff low tapping into some moisture, or a marine layer event of light rain / drizzle caused by a low passing to our north. I expect the marine layer to be quite dominant for a good portion of May and the first part of June once this hot spell comes to an end.

• Like 1