Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Coronavirus Discussion

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MossMan

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

MossMan

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16150 posts
  • LocationStanwood, Wa

After two days of searching, I found some TP at the local Circle K!

Also for anyone who does not know, Home Depot carries TP!

MR.SNOWMIZER

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

MR.SNOWMIZER

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6878 posts
  • Locationwest kitsap. 640ft.

Also for anyone who does not know, Home Depot carries TP!

The blue shop paper towels work.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Deweydog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:41 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 26070 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Owwwch.
All roads lead to Walgreens.

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, WA (7 miles east)

They really do, came in handy once working remotely and, ya... they work. Softer than you would imagine!
  • MR.SNOWMIZER likes this

MR.SNOWMIZER

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:47 PM

MR.SNOWMIZER

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6878 posts
  • Locationwest kitsap. 640ft.
Not trying to be gross but if anyone needs tp the blue shop towels are not harsh at all.
  • GHweatherChris likes this

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:55 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts

Not trying to be gross but if anyone needs tp the blue shop towels are not harsh at all.

I am so glad we normally stay highly stocked on TP and water, but i have a full 8 pack of the shop towel rolls as well, all purpose!!

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

Sand paper as well.

Low. Solar.

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts

Sand paper as well.

Not a time for jokes.

MossMan

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

MossMan

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 16150 posts
  • LocationStanwood, Wa

I love those as shop towels, they are charmin soft!

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA
Just saw a report from an American journalist in China that life is returning to normal there... restaurants have been given the all clear and Disney Shanghai is re-opening and new cases per day continues to drop fast. And they are now in a position to send aid to Italy.

Side note... only Wuhan was on complete lockdown. These improvements are happening in other parts of China too. That has to provide some hope to the rest of the world.
  • MR.SNOWMIZER and DJ Droppin like this

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

BLI snowman

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:29 PM

BLI snowman

Lacking H20

• Members
  • 10014 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

South Korea has also seen a drop in the number of new cases. And the death rate there is still extremely low.

• DJ Droppin likes this

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA
So what about all of the crowds at Costco? They are risking spreading the virus.

DJ Droppin

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

DJ Droppin

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10578 posts
  • LocationEast Portland, OR

Just saw a report from an American journalist in China that life is returning to normal there... restaurants have been given the all clear and Disney Shanghai is re-opening and new cases per day continues to drop fast. And they are now in a position to send aid to Italy.

Side note... only Wuhan was on complete lockdown. These improvements are happening in other parts of China too. That has to provide some hope to the rest of the world.

Yeah, that's a great sign for sure. Unless they somehow built a bubble of Wuhan, Hubei district. Similar to that wonky TV show that was on CBS "Under The Dome". Cancelled of course. Anyhow. Lol. Maybe Dr. Drew Pinsky is right that he felt confident this would be over fairly quickly. He said the CDC's #'s of 60-70% US Population infection rate was just not going to happen. I will also say if the media would shut up about this constantly it wouldn't create quite as much mass hysteria, fear, panic, and paranoia. One thing I've been saying all along is Ms. Buttersworth is way sexier than Aunt Jemima. Wait. WHAT? No. No. What I've been telling anyone who would listen is the over abundance of caution, fear, paranoia, would end up being far worse than the virus itself. In 2 weeks we'll either be saying "WHOA! what is going on! and no one is going to work or anywhere.", OR we'll be saying "What's seriously going on? Do you even know anyone who has this virus?" .... Yeah.

• El_Nina likes this

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

Not a time for jokes.

:rolleyes:

Disagree. I'm not joking about anyone with the disease or anyone dying.

Low. Solar.

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Yeah, that's a great sign for sure. Unless they somehow built a bubble of Wuhan, Hubei district. Similar to that wonky TV show that was on CBS "Under The Dome". Cancelled of course. Anyhow. Lol. Maybe Dr. Drew Pinsky is right that he felt confident this would be over fairly quickly. He said the CDC's #'s of 60-70% US Population infection rate was just not going to happen. I will also say if the media would shut up about this constantly it wouldn't create quite as much mass hysteria, fear, panic, and paranoia. One thing I've been saying all along is Ms. Buttersworth is way sexier than Aunt Jemima. Wait. WHAT? No. No. What I've been telling anyone who would listen is the over abundance of caution, fear, paranoia, would end up being far worse than the virus itself. In 2 weeks we'll either be saying "WHOA! what is going on! and no one is going to work or anywhere.", OR we'll be saying "What's seriously going on? Do you even know anyone who has this virus?" .... Yeah.

I frequently do laugh out loud when reading your posts... and that is good thing. :)
  • DJ Droppin likes this

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

Yes. But keep in mind, China took much more drastic action, much quicker than most of the world.

But it is does show that it's possible for the virus to be contained and at least for a time die out. I'm guessing China is being very careful about letting anyone travel in or out of the country, now that the rest of the world could bring it back to them.

Best case scenario is that this is a quick-hitting pandemic that will do a lot of damage in a short amount of time globally, and then quickly fade away. But even if that's the case, the unfortunate reality is that many more will die in the coming weeks.

• DJ Droppin likes this

Low. Solar.

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

For anyone still trying to argue this is "just the flu"...this account is from a doctor in Italy. 

One after the other the unfortunate poor people come to the emergency room. They have far from the complications of a flu. Let’s stop saying it’s a bad flu. In these 2 years I have learned that the people of Bergamo do not come to the emergency room at all. They did well this time too. They followed all the indications given: a week or ten days at home with a fever without going out and risking contagion, but now they can’t take it anymore. They don’t breathe enough, they need oxygen.

Now, however, that need for beds in all its drama has arrived. One after another, the departments that had been emptied are filling up at an impressive rate. The display boards with the names of the sick, of different colors depending on the operating unit they belong to, are now all red and instead of the surgical operation there is the diagnosis, which is always the same cursed: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Now, tell me which flu virus causes such a rapid tragedy. Because that’s the difference (now I’m going down a bit in the technical field): in the classical flu, apart from infecting much less population over several months, cases can be complicated less frequently, only when the VIRUS destroying the protective barriers of the Our respiratory tract allows BACTERIA normally resident in the upper tract to invade the bronchi and lungs, causing more serious cases. Covid 19 causes a banal influence in many young people, but in many elderly people (and not only) a real SARS because it arrives directly in the alveoli of the lungs and infects them making them unable to perform their function.

And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us. The cases multiply, we arrive at the rate of 15-20 hospitalizations a day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the emergency room is collapsing. Emergency provisions are issued: help is needed in the emergency room. A quick meeting to learn how the first aid management software works and a few minutes later they are already downstairs, next to the warriors on the war front. The PC screen with the reasons for the access is always the same: fever and difficulty breathing, fever and cough, respiratory failure etc … The exams, radiology always with the same sentence: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized. Someone already to intubate and go to intensive care. For others it is late …

• Timmy_Supercell likes this

Low. Solar.

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:03 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

South Korea has also seen a drop in the number of new cases. And the death rate there is still extremely low.

The latest numbers show 510 total recoveries and 67 deaths. You can't compare total cases to deaths, because ultimate outcomes will lag several weeks behind with this. But you are correct that the spread has slowed there, especially compared to Europe.

I'm sure I'm coming across as all doom and gloom but I think people having accurate information is important here.

Low. Solar.

DJ Droppin

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

DJ Droppin

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10578 posts

I frequently do laugh out loud when reading your posts... and that is good thing. :)

Ya gotta joke around sometimes, or all the time. I mean there is certainly a time and place for it and well, everything, but I rarely know when that is. It's not a laughing matter, I hope people realize that isn't my intent.

Watching Homestead Rescue. Heck of a way to live!

• TT-SEA likes this

MossMan

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

MossMan

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 16150 posts
  • LocationStanwood, Wa
My wife just got home... and she is FIRED UP!
  • DJ Droppin likes this

Deweydog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 26070 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Have her call Flatiron.
  • MossMan, Phil and Front Ranger like this

DJ Droppin

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:23 PM

DJ Droppin

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 10578 posts

Uh oh. What Round are y'all at now? Someone call Michael Buffer or his brother Bruce, because it's about time to get ready to rumble.

• MossMan likes this

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts

Uh oh. What Round are y'all at now? Someone call Michael Buffer or his brother Bruce, because it's about time to get ready to rumble.

He won't be posting much now.
  • DJ Droppin likes this

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts
I am a little bit hoarse, but otherwise feel perfectly fine. I could have the coronavirus. Oh no!

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA
Just watched interview with chief of emerging diseases at WHO and she was pretty positive overall. She also mentioned the improvements happening in South Korea. When was South Korea at the stage the US is at now? It can't be more than 2 or 3 weeks ago.
  • DJ Droppin likes this

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:44 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts

Just watched interview with chief of emerging diseases at WHO and she was pretty positive overall. She also mentioned the improvements happening in South Korea. When was South Korea at the stage the US is at now? It can't be more than 2 or 3 weeks ago.

There is no chief of emerging diseases.

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

There is no chief of emerging diseases.

That was I thought I saw. 

Found this in a news story.. put that on a business card!  

Maria Van Kerkhove, who heads the World Health Organization’s emerging diseases and zoonoses unit

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

Have her call Flatiron.

I'm a fact factory. Sorry!  :(

Low. Solar.

Deweydog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 26070 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA
No more nooky for Trudeau.

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts

That was I thought I saw.

Found this in a news story.. put that on a business card!

Maria Van Kerkhove, who heads the World Health Organization’s emerging diseases and zoonoses unit

Not a chief of anything, may be a rep or something.

Phil

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:03 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 29987 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Ouch.

egCZo1I.jpg
Personal Weather Station Links:
NOAA: https://www.wrh.noaa...168&banner=NONE
Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...019-08-23/daily

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Not a chief of anything, may be a rep or something.

AnyWHO... she was fairly positive.

Phil

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:07 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 29987 posts
Problem is the majority of the cases are now arising via community spread. It’s all over the place.

The travel ban won’t fix this now. Might slow it temporarily?

aeyDlWN.jpg

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

South Korea was about where the US is currently with cases on February 27th.

The rapid acceleration lasted for about a week after that point and then started to slow.  

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

No more nooky for Trudeau.

Bummer. She's kinda a milf.

• DJ Droppin likes this

Low. Solar.

Phil

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 29987 posts

The rapid acceleration lasted for about a week after that point and then started to slow.

South Korea might not be a good geographical analog. They’re a small peninsula, and N-Korea effectively quarantines them from over-land imported spread, unlike Italy and the rest of the European Union.

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

All apple to oranges comparisons aside, I think you have to look at where they're at with infection rate.

Currently, they're at about 155 confirmed infections per million people. The U.S. is currently at about 5 per million. That's over 1,700 people...if we continue at the same rate as South Korea, that puts us at around 53,000 infections in a couple weeks.

However, we also have to consider that South Korea began large scale testing much earlier in their outbreak. So the U.S. numbers will probably multiply faster with the wide scale testing now becoming available.

Low. Solar.

Phil

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 29987 posts
Unpredictable how it might unfold here. Depends on our response, geography, perhaps weather, and of course the nature of the virus itself over time. I presume?

Italy, China, France, South Korea. The latter is probably the most optimistic outcome. Even in China, where they took drastic measures, that “upswing” lasted several weeks.

GbLZbmo.jpg
1AJH1vz.jpg
o7QLl1I.jpg
R8BfefU.jpg

Phil

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:26 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 29987 posts
The US situation is intricate...seems there are bi-coastal epicenters now, from where the infection could easily radiate. I think geography and policy are the drivers, in which case, we’re definitely not South Korea.

8ylqyEr.jpg

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th.

Deweydog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 26070 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th.

Today is Thursday the 12th.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

South Korea has more test kits than any nation and they have filed a petition to impeach their president.

• SilverFallsAndrew likes this

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

If Italy shows a slowdown in new cases over the next week, that will be fantastic news. It would provide further proof that extreme social distancing measures do work to quickly slow this down.

• TT-SEA and DJ Droppin like this

Low. Solar.

GHweatherChris

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7865 posts
Good to see so many experts on this forum all of a sudden.
  • DJ Droppin likes this

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

If Italy shows a slowdown in new cases over the next week, that will be fantastic news. It would provide further proof that extreme social distancing measures do work to quickly slow this down.

I was just thinking that too

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Coronavirus: 10 reasons you should not panic

TT-SEA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:41 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 505019 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

South Korea has its sh*t together... everyone gets a personalized text each morning with a map of confirmed cases in their area and locations of known contacts of the confirmed cases.

Front Ranger

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

Front Ranger

Lord of Lockdown

• Members
  • 23499 posts

South Korea has its sh*t together... everyone gets a personalized text each morning with a map of confirmed cases in their area and locations of known contacts of the confirmed cases.

Yeah...another reason that's an apples to oranges comparison.  ;)

Asia's culture is way different when it comes to this kind of thing. 

Low. Solar.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Still how many people would have thought even last weekend that all professional sports would be suspended and that March Madness would be cancelled.

MossMan

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:01 PM

MossMan

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 16150 posts
  • LocationStanwood, Wa

Meanwhile here in the U.S...
TOILET PAPER!!! 🚽 🧻 Where the **** is the Toilet paper!!!!!!!!!
  • ShawniganLake likes this