May 2020 Observations and Discussion

St Paul Storm

12z Euro blessing the ag belt with some pretty good rains through the holiday weekend where they need it most...temps look very nice for the majority of the Sub over the next week or so.  The MW will see plenty of 80's over the weekend, esp back home in Chicago where some nice wx is in the forecast even though you'll be dodging some possible storms.

1.png

• Like 3

My forecast is calling for mid 80s next week. Last time these temps were present was back in September or maybe October from last year. Now, there is a taste of Summer knocking on my doorstep. Wow! This will feel fantastic!  :D Which reminds me, I need to switch my Heat to AC mode soon.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The 80s over the weekend are not guaranteed due to possible clouds and rain.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It appears we are going to go from cloudy and cool for a week to warm, humid, and wet for a week.  Models, especially the Euro, are showing the stuck upper low pattern breaking down, but then a stuck sw-flow-with-stalled-front pattern setting up.  I'm just going to have to get all my garden-planting and other yard projects done with wet soil.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

All mention of 80s has been removed from the 7 day forecast. Looks like a few 78Fs, but that's as warm as it gets. The massive ridge and its corresponding heat just aren't going to pan out. Like Hawkeye mentioned, the multiple rounds of rain and clouds this weekend could lead to even lower temps too. I'm going to research when our latest first 80F occurred. I doubt we're close, but we're a month late. Hell, even Bismark and International Falls have reached 80 already.

EDIT:  if we somehow don't score our first 80F in May it will be the first time since 1935 that we didn't reach that mark before June 1. 

• Like 1

All mention of 80s has been removed from the 7 day forecast. Looks like a few 78Fs, but that's as warm as it gets. The massive ridge and its corresponding heat just aren't going to pan out. Like Hawkeye mentioned, the multiple rounds of rain and clouds this weekend could lead to even lower temps too. I'm going to research when our latest first 80F occurred. I doubt we're close, but we're a month late. Hell, even Bismark and International Falls have reached 80 already.

EDIT:  if we somehow don't score our first 80F in May it will be the first time since 1935 that we didn't reach that mark before June 1. 

Winnipeg has also hit 80, even Dryden Ontario has hit 80.  It has been July up here this week.  Had windows open all night as well, which is a bit unusual for May here. 

• Like 4

Cloudy - Check.  Cool - Check.  Windy - Check.  Rinse and repeat.  maybe, just maybe a break tomorrow with higher cloud tops, temps might hit 70 per the NWS and winds only 5-10mph.  Saturday temps are all going to depend on if/when the rain moves out.  Hopefully storms come and go as I have a golf tournament at 9am that I really want to play in.  

The GFS has mostly to 100% cloudy skies in Eastern Iowa until May 31st.  It's possible there could be breaks in the clouds here or there, but for the most part straight cloudy skies for 10 more days.  We haven't seen the sun here in days as it is.  Saturday maybe was the last time?  I can't even remember now.  Awful weather.  Hopefully it at least stays warm and hopefully there are more breaks than what it is showing so that we have at least partly cloudy to partly sunny conditions.  

The GFS has mostly to 100% cloudy skies in Eastern Iowa until May 31st.  It's possible there could be breaks in the clouds here or there, but for the most part straight cloudy skies for 10 more days.  We haven't seen the sun here in days as it is.  Saturday maybe was the last time?  I can't even remember now.  Awful weather.  Hopefully it at least stays warm and hopefully there are more breaks than what it is showing so that we have at least partly cloudy to partly sunny conditions.  

I had never looked at the cloud cover output on the GFS, until now. I wish I hadn't looked at it. LOL! Talk about a depressing Spring so far. 

It was actually warmer yesterday.   :(

This was supposed to be our warm-season breakout week.  Instead, we've struggled to reach the low 60s.

• Like 3

Just checking in to say hello and just hope everyone is finding something to enjoy about the weather in this month. Sorry for being a.w.o.l.

I've personally enjoyed the longer periods of cold weather and variability lately. Been a refreshing month so far. (In spite of the obvious. Of course.)

Enjoy the last few days of spring and stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

Attm, it is a beautiful 61F under crystal clear skies. Heat and seasons first taste of humidity coming by the MDW and especially next week when lows are expected to be in the 60s and high in the mid 80s and RF near 90F in spots. Some storms also are possible each day. Will have to watch for more hvy rains next week as a stalled front might produced more damage in those areas that just gotten inundated.

As far as the ULL, yep, its a stubborn one w some showers returning for the Detroit area for tomorrow as we get clipped by them (barely as the low moves due north a bit b4 taking the eastward movement) and finally exits the area and moves towards the mid Atlantic area coastline and off to the Atlantic ocean.

Just checking in to say hello and just hope everyone is finding something to enjoy about the weather in this month. Sorry for being a.w.o.l.

I've personally enjoyed the longer periods of cold weather and variability lately. Been a refreshing month so far. (In spite of the obvious. Of course.)

Enjoy the last few days of spring and stay safe everyone.

It will feel like Summer next week. Fast forward to that here in SEMI. Temps will soar into the mid to upper 80s, along w muggy conditions. Looking forward to that tbh. Its been awhile, since I have felt the air that warm.

Btw: I think it turns substantially cooler by late May w highs barely getting outta the 60s and lows back in the 40s (here IMBY that is, probably elsewhere as well). Something that I hope does not pan out!!!!!

• Like 1

Where has jaster been? I hope he's doing alright and has just forgotten to check the forum. I know I have before.

I think he ditched us because he’s been still active on the other forum (different name but pretty sure same person)

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I have seen a few tiny peeks of the sun yesterday and maybe the day before. According to a tweet from Nick Stewart, for CR this is the second cloudiest May on record only behind last May of 2019! That's kinda unusual and crazy.
  • Like 2

Where has jaster been? I hope he's doing alright and has just forgotten to check the forum. I know I have before.

I will second that jaster has been posting on another site. I am not sure the reason why he has not been on this site for a while. But I can say for sure he has been on the other site this week posting on the heavy rain and flooding here in Michigan. That is unless some one else is using his device. 

I will second that jaster has been posting on another site. I am not sure the reason why he has not been on this site for a while. But I can say for sure he has been on the other site this week posting on the heavy rain and flooding here in Michigan. That is unless some one else is using his device. 

Good to hear he's alright, but wonder why he defected.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Later next week the models are suggesting the hottest temps to date and quite possibly reaching the 110's by next Thursday (my B Day)!  #BlowTorch

I see back home a stretch of temps in the 80's is on the table from this Sun-Thu???  Boy, that's gonna feel nice and really explode vegetation growth.

• Like 2

He got sucked into that dreaded complaint thread early on in this pandemic. I hope he didn’t ditch the forum because of what people were saying.

Wow I never even read that thread or at least it's been a long time since I have.
  • Like 1

He got sucked into that dreaded complaint thread early on in this pandemic. I hope he didn’t ditch the forum because of what people were saying.

The toxicity in that thread was like no other.

I love you guys, but man some of you need to stay away from political commentary.

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Attm, it s 59F under cloudy skies. Hard to believe that ULL came back to my area again as it moved further north (the clouds that is and some spotty rain, especially in my south zones), but it will be outta here by tomorrow as it starts moving east and away from here.

TGIF as this MDW will feature the seasons warmest weather w heat and humidity (80s to near 90F)....Whooohooooooo!!!!! :D

I can't remember another week like this, certainly at this time of year, when we were stuck for several days with an endless feed of dense clouds from the east.

Wow I never even read that thread or at least it's been a long time since I have.

It got pretty ugly in there (political), so I don't even bother checking it anymore.  I'd rather enjoy reading weather discussion in the other threads.

• Like 1

I can't remember another week like this, certainly at this time of year, when we were stuck for several days with an endless feed of dense clouds from the east.

It got pretty ugly in there (political), so I don't even bother checking it anymore. I'd rather enjoy reading weather discussion in the other threads.

Well said. I have strong political beliefs, but I don’t come to a weather forum to talk politics. I read it one time and decided to never read it again. I want weather information and discussions. Just my 2 cents. In weather news, it continues to rain. Word of street flooding Kearney. There were places in Central Nebraska that had over 4” yesterday and it keeps raining this morning. I don’t think 6” is out of the question for some.

• Like 4

Hopefully, some severe storms pop up this weekend and into next week as this warm, humid, unstable airmass arrives. Time for some severe weather! :D

I saw some pics not long ago from up north (MI) that were hard hit by the flooding rains recently and I gotta tell ya, those lakes are mar for good. People were walking on muddy grounds, where previously was known to be a lake. I wonder how and why those "Dams" broke. Who is responsible for this and who will be held accountable for allowing such destruction to have occurred. It caused a lot of people their houses. Thankfully, no lives were taken. Houses can get rebuild again, but it is still a hassle and for a lot of population up there.

I saw some pics not long ago from up north (MI) that were hard hit by the flooding rains recently and I gotta tell ya, those lakes are mar for good. People were walking on muddy grounds, where previously was known to be a lake. I wonder how and why those "Dams" broke. Who is responsible for this and who will be held accountable for allowing such destruction to have occurred. It caused a lot of people their houses. Thankfully, no lives were taken. Houses can get rebuild again, but it is still a hassle and for a lot of population up there.

Boyce Hydro also the Edenville Dam – which failed Tuesday afternoon – as well as the Secord and Smallwood dams

It looks like there has been a issue with Boyce Hydro for some time. It also looks like the Lake Associations also may have had a hand in the issue.

Here is a report on the denial of what took place in 2018

https://www.troutmanenergyreport.com/2018/10/ferc-denies-stay-hydro-project-license-termination/

Naturally models are now converging on an area of rain right over eastern Iowa tomorrow morning when I'm supposed to be golfing.   Such an amazing weather week.  More thick clouds today.  Temps struggling to get out of the mid 60s.  If we could get even a little clearing it would probably get up to 70, but as it is still just a cloudy below normal temp day here.  Try again tomorrow.