May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

Breezy 15-25mph WSW winds 

60* 

Loved the shower action yesterday.  Missed a huge one as I departed Portland. By the time I made it to the I5 bridge the skies to my East were dramatically dark!  Bet that was a great one to be under! That was between 3 and 4 pm.  
No action up here today except the wind.  

0.21” of rain today. 56/40

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Raining again. Grass has been wet most of the day so I guess I won't be mowing until June 5 (young children coming over).

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I don’t understand why people don’t mow if it rains. Unless your grass is really long it is not an issue.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The dams are definitely a big issue. But SSTs play a role too, considering salmon spend a good chunk of their life cycle in the ocean. Even if the high water temps don’t affect them directly, the large dead zones will diminish their food supply.

And all of the water temperature stuff here is involving freshwater rivers, which as you know is a totally different thing than SSTs in the North Pacific.

Yeah, I agree. I would have liked to have lived 100 years ago and catch those June hog salmon weighing up to 125 pounds. Unfortunately they never get as big as that anymore.

"If you cast a fishing line into the Columbia River in 1920, you’d better be ready for a fight. The Pacific Northwest was once home to an enormous strain of Chinook salmon, with specimens weighing 70 to 80 pounds — reaching as high as 125. These earned a hefty moniker: they were called “June hogs,” signifying both their size and the season to catch them."

1*Q9YFaE7RaMV1ltrreB6f4Q.jpeg

1*8bH5mJP90xMJH7R7z3MeoA.jpeg

https://timeline.com/there-used-to-be-salmon-as-big-as-golden-retrievers-in-the-columbia-river-but-dams-killed-them-off-20854d1f971e

• Like 2

I don’t understand why people don’t mow if it rains. Unless your grass is really long it is not an issue.

It's not my mower sadly. Don't want it using extra gas on wet grass. And again, I can't do any mowing without someone with me anymore because of my health problems.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yeah, I agree. I would have liked to have lived 100 years ago and catch those June hog salmon weighing up to 125 pounds. Unfortunately they never get as big as that anymore.

"If you cast a fishing line into the Columbia River in 1920, you’d better be ready for a fight. The Pacific Northwest was once home to an enormous strain of Chinook salmon, with specimens weighing 70 to 80 pounds — reaching as high as 125. These earned a hefty moniker: they were called “June hogs,” signifying both their size and the season to catch them."

https://timeline.com/there-used-to-be-salmon-as-big-as-golden-retrievers-in-the-columbia-river-but-dams-killed-them-off-20854d1f971e

Classic fisherman camera tricks.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Classic fisherman camera tricks.

The camera is probably 1 foot away from the fish and 6 feet away from the people.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It creates clumping which creates many issues for me...kids and dogs track the clippings all over the deck and other non grass surfaces. It sticks to the dogs pads which then gets tracked into the house. It also creates a mess on the mower and mower deck. I do not like to wash my mower constantly and it’s much easier on the mower if I use my blower on it after I mow the non wet grass to simply blow all the crap off of it. I also once had a dog nearly die after gorging himself on chunks of rotting grass clippings.

Those are my reasons.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Very interesting how different the models are for the GOA and the PNW every run... but yet that ULL moving up from CA in about a week remains a constant.   Its on every run no matter how different the pattern looks to the north beforehand.

gfs_z500a_us_31.png

That is a classic recipe for convection.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It creates clumping which creates many issues for me...kids and dogs track the clippings all over the deck and other non grass surfaces. It sticks to the dogs pads which then gets tracked into the house. It also creates a mess on the mower and mower deck. I do not like to wash my mower constantly and it’s much easier on the mower if I use my blower on it after I mow the non wet grass to simply blow all the crap off of it. I also once had a dog nearly die after gorging himself on chunks of rotting grass clippings.

Those are my reasons.

My 55 lb pup survived after gorging herself on 4 lbs of steak a few weeks ago.

Had really bad diarrhea but that was about it.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Those are monsters! You can feed a whole village with that thing. Reminds me of the Goliath Groupers we catch down in Florida. How big do they get now?

Here is a pic of my friend with one of the Goliath Groupers he caught. It took him 10 hours to fight and land the fish

2IeQL0c.jpg

• Like 2

Those are monsters! You can feed a whole village with that thing. Reminds me of the Goliath Groupers we catch down in Florida. How big do they get now?

Here is a pic of my friend with one of the Goliath Groupers he caught. It took him 10 hours to fight and land the fish

2IL0c.jpg

Are you done bumping this post?

I mow in the rain all the time. I usually just bump the height up a notch that week if the grass is a bit too long to cut properly.

I use a powered reel mower set at 1/2" and never worry about the grass being wet. I have to mow every other day this time of year.

I do have to roll the ground weekly to make sure it is level and avoid scalping. Sure does look good and the striping is a nice added effect.

Yes, I used to be a greenskeeper at a local golf course. Rain doesn't matter

I use a powered reel mower set at 1/2" and never worry about the grass being wet. I have to mow every other day this time of year.

I do have to roll the ground weekly to make sure it is level and avoid scalping. Sure does look good and the striping is a nice added effect.

You have a fairway for a lawn? Awesome!

Not entirely true...Heavy rain does matter...you could damage/scalp the greens while trying to mow them if they are retaining water due to heavy rains. I was a Superintendent in a former life and would shut down mowing during major or prolonged rains.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

"If you cast a fishing line into the Columbia River in 1920, you’d better be ready for a fight. The Pacific Northwest was once home to an enormous strain of Chinook salmon, with specimens weighing 70 to 80 pounds — reaching as high as 125. These earned a hefty moniker: they were called “June hogs,” signifying both their size and the season to catch them."1*Q9YFaE7RaMV1ltrreB6f4Q.jpeg1*8bH5mJP90xMJH7R7z3MeoA.jpeghttps://timeline.com/there-used-to-be-salmon-as-big-as-golden-retrievers-in-the-columbia-river-but-dams-killed-them-off-20854d1f971e

Nice job with the subject change.

Not entirely true...Heavy rain does matter...you could damage/scalp the greens while trying to mow them if they are retaining water due to heavy rains. I was a Superintendent in a former life and would shut down mowing during major or prolonged rains.

Of course, but at 1/2" I rarely have an issue. I also have a manual reel mower that I use during extended wet periods that keep the turf trained without causing ruts to form. Keep those blades sharp!!

As a a former Super, you know much more than me as far as turf management. I am just glad that I retained enough knowledge to have a yard that is known in my community!

OT, but be thankful we live in the PNW. This behemoth fell in Texas today.

KP02Dqn.jpg

huGvIAz.jpg

Yeah, but that drywall is pretty much how my soul would look after enduring a couple hours of drizzle on Memorial Day. I’ll take the deadly hail.

• Like 1

Of course, but at 1/2" I rarely have an issue. I also have a manual reel mower that I use during extended wet periods that keep the turf trained without causing ruts to form. Keep those blades sharp!!

As a a former Super, you know much more than me as far as turf management. I am just glad that I retained enough knowledge to have a yard that is known in my community!

A part of me really misses the challenge of producing the best possible product for the golfers. I do not miss the daily stress of it however.

Was sad seeing the course that I spent nearly 10yrs at ending up looking like this. Both pics are me standing on 7 green looking back towards the fairway. 2005 just two months before leaving the course, and July of 2019!

D216ED66-E5D0-4427-B76F-783331FD654D.jpeg

B2D9DC2B-276F-41B2-ADE3-D964F05904BF.jpeg