June 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Radar estimating between 5 to 6 inches of rain in Southern Lancaster and Western Otoe Counties south of Lincoln... Flash Flood Warnings in that area for “life threatening flash flooding.”

My old place is in the Northern part of that warning. Not a good situation there.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

We have had some nicer weather here the past couple days and enjoying a couple days near average or slightly BN temps (105F is normal). This won't last, however, and we are expected to creep up into the 110's again early next week.  No Monsoonal moisture in sight just yet, but I got a feeling it will ramp up in July.

James has some pretty heavy rain moving in.

Picked up 3.30" overnight. I was shocked when I saw the gauge this morning. Had no idea I was gonna get dumped on. Was sitting on the patio late evening watching the lightning show off to the west. Radar was looking good but wasn't expecting that much.
  • Like 4

Yesterday's Euro Weeklies looking pretty similar with the other climate models and generally showing a similar theme over the next 30 days.  The 4th of July weekend is looking wet and warm across the GL's/MW region but cooler the farther west you are.  I always get excited to see fireworks on display, both private and public but this year I'm not sure many public shows will be on display.

1.png

2.png

JB seeing what I showed a few days ago how the SOI is behaving in an unusual way given the current SST's across the equatorial PAC.

SOI for the last 30 days indicates the Devil has been at work in the weather ( ha ha). The crash continues in what I call a la Nina Colada negative SOI with la Nina type SSTs.

Meanwhile, most of the state of KS is inundated with slow moving drenching storms this morning...love when nature balances things out where they need it most.

current_usdm.png

• Like 1

Wow, James!  It really dumped hard up there.

I picked up 0.31" from the remnants early this morning.  More heavy cells are popping now, but only the far north and south sides of Cedar Rapids.  In between, I'm getting nothing.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Kinda neat how the last showers seem to be moving through when suddenly more pop up right behind those and keep back building. A few places just south of here are getting around 1” to 2” so far, especially in parts of Washington county, (the next county south of me). The heaviest keep missing, but still got around 0.30” so far. A little thunder at times now again from heavy cells scraping by to the south.

Wow, James! It really dumped hard up there.

I picked up 0.31" from the remnants early this morning. More heavy cells are popping now, but only the far north and south sides of Cedar Rapids. In between, I'm getting nothing.

Yeah I was surprised. My parents just 15 miles away only picked up 0.90"

I'm up to 0.48" of rain.  I'm still waiting for a good thunderstorm.  Widespread thunderstorms have been MIA this year.  This morning's rain only had a couple rumbles.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

There's an old MCV in nw Missouri that is now lifting northeast into Iowa.  That should cause convection to expand across the area.

• Like 1

We had a little sunshine here which soon popped a few more storms, but it was another near miss. Heard quite a bit of rumbling thunder again, but not the hard rumbles that occurs with c/g lightning from stronger storms. Rain is torrential right underneath some of these cells since PWATS are high. It’s very humid with light winds.

BTW, I got 0.41” from a.m. rain.

I called my sister out in south central Kansas and they are elated about the widespread heavy rainfall they got. Several hours ago she thought they should be around 3” . They were very dry and hot and last week they were drooling over the tropical system that came over Iowa!

• Like 2

A spotter in Homestead, Iowa in Iowa county reported 2.5” in 1 hr. late this afternoon.

I'm not surprised.  That cell really blew up over the Amana area.

Sun n clouds mix today from that ULL sitting to my far SE. Some isolated light showers not outta the question. Overall, another dry day w no rainfall.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Next week features a much better chance for wet weather. We will see how that breaks out. Dint have time to check on my weather after a very busy day. Hoping for some rainfall. Grass is a little too crunchy! :lol:

The official high today at GRR was 91 it was also 91 at Kalamazoo. At the lake shore it was 89 at both Holland and Muskegon. To the east the reported high at Lansing was 90. Here at my house I recorded a high of 93. Currently it is 83 here at my house with a DP now down to 56.

The evening rain is crapping out as it approaches.  It did not help that there was no instability today.

• Like 1

72F under clear skies. Very pleasant evening!

Mostly clear and 67 with a DP of 60 here at my house. The low at GRR looks to have been 65 here at my house the low was 64. Yesterday was the 7th day in a row of over 90% of possible sunshine and it has now been 10 days since Grand Rapids has had less the 50% of possible sunshine. One long sunny streak to say the least. Today looks to be yet another mostly sunny day.

• Like 1

Mostly clear and 67 with a DP of 60 here at my house. The low at GRR looks to have been 65 here at my house the low was 64. Yesterday was the 7th day in a row of over 90% of possible sunshine and it has now been 10 days since Grand Rapids has had less the 50% of possible sunshine. One long sunny streak to say the least. Today looks to be yet another mostly sunny day.

The amount of sunshine this month has been a big bonus compared to recent years.  Through the 17th of this month, ORD has tacked on 9 days of 90%+ of possible sunshine.  It's a way nature gives back when you were dealing with terrible spring weather not long ago.

As I write, I took a glance out my window in my room that faces East and I happened to see the Sun rise above the mountain tops, obscured by the smoke from the Bush Fire, it is giving off a redish/orange glow.  It's a beautiful sunrise here in AZ with a temp of 70F and topping out near 103F today.  We have had a string of nice days where temps have not been too hot.

• Like 1

This weekend's rain is turning into a dud for many in east-central Iowa.  Models had been spitting out 1-4" across the area, but Friday was much more miss than hit and now models have removed nearly all rain today.  I only picked up 0.60" yesterday.  Many locations east of CR, up to Dubuque and the Quad Cities have received little or no rain at all.  Also, Ames and Des Moines through much of southwest and south central Iowa have received little or nothing.  Widespread, organized thunderstorms continue to be MIA this year.

Edit:  Today is the models had been tracking a low across Iowa through the day, which would be good for storms.  However, in reality a low is exiting the area this morning, so Iowa will be in the sinking air region behind the low.

• Like 2

This weekend's rain is turning into a dud for many in east-central Iowa. Models had been spitting out 1-4" across the area, but Friday was much more miss than hit and now models have removed nearly all rain today. I only picked up 0.60" yesterday. Many locations east of CR, up to Dubuque and the Quad Cities have received little or no rain at all. Also, Ames and Des Moines through much of southwest and south central Iowa have received little or nothing. Widespread, organized thunderstorms continue to be MIA this year.

Edit: Today is the models had been tracking a low across Iowa through the day, which would be good for storms. However, in reality a low is exiting the area this morning, so Iowa will be in the sinking air region behind the low.

Same here Hawkeye, so far this week I have picked up 0.90 inches of rain (from Thursday noon until now)... nothing to complain about I know. However most models earlier this week had us getting between 2 and 4 inches of rain by Saturday afternoon.

Our forecast for today went from a 90% chance of rain and storms to 20% just like that. We are still running large annual rainfall deficits of 4 to 5 inches around here combined with the recent stretch of well above normal temperatures, so these “busts” are not helping.

• Like 2

It is muggy outside. My phone reads RF at 87F, while my temp is at 83F. DP must be in the 70s.

Weekend scorcher on tap! Looking forward to some cooler air next week along w some t'stms.

The center of the meso low tracked over the Cedar Rapids area late this morning.  A small pocket of rain began to perk up as it reached me.  I picked up 0.25".  Once again, the far north side (broken record) got the brunt, picking up a quick 0.50-0.60".  My two-day total is now 0.85".  It's not as much as expected, but it's ok.

• Like 2

Tomorrow I’m heading out west to visit Yellowstone. It will be my first time there and I’m very excited. We’ll be camping at a KOA in West Yellowstone, MT. Temps are supposed to be in the 70s which is great because a few days ago they had winter storm warnings and higher passes saw 8-12” of snow. So the mountains should be very snowy still and hopefully provide some great views.

• Like 6