May 2014 Observations and Discussion

clintbeed1993

May 5 will be the anniversary of the strongest tornado ever to hit the state of Nebraska. I remember my grandpa telling me stories about how this tornado just missed his farm two miles south of Shelby. The following articles really give you a sense of just how horrible this tornado was and how lucky there weren't very many deaths. It's crazy how this tornado managed to stay on the ground for close to 80 miles and didn't hit one town. The other tornado on that day did hit Wolbach. Anyway, here is a write up about that day from the Hastings NWS: 

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gid/?n=may51964f5tornado

So for anyone who cares, I will soon be doing the weather on NTV news! They are going to train me for 40-60 hours, and then I'll be able to start doing the weather on a fill in basis. Very excited for this opportunity!

Nice congrats! I'll be watching for you, that would be an awesome job!

Surely something I s blowing in. I feel like I live in a wind tunnel.

They're calling for storms Thursday and Friday. Hail, tornados. The works.

I just want rain, lots and lots of rain.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

We received 1 1/2" of rain today SW of Ft. Worth. Some areas got twice that. Much needed. Most of the rain is hitting the Eason half of the state and won't affect our drought out west. More to come tomorrow but not as heavy.

I hope this isn't our last good rain. Lakes terribly low and were under permanent water restrictions.temps tonight down to high 50's and high tomorrow in the 60's. :)

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Total this rain event was 2". Very nice. Now it's back to windy as hell.

Gusts to 30mph. A pleasant 66*. Strangely cool for us this time of year.

Anyone care to guess what kind of summer we will have in the Southern Plains ?

Glad you are getting rainfall.  Really wet just east of us towards Hastings and farther east.  We only got about .60 during the storm on Sunday-Monday.  However, it was only low to mid 40's for highs Monday and 50's on Sunday.  Frost advisories the last 2 nights.  It is wonderfully green around here.  My yard has never looked better.  Corn is just starting to poke through.  Sounds like more organized storms coming Sunday through next week.  My backyard tree just finally has full leaves, very late spring.

Cold and dreary day here in Central Nebraska.  Our elementary school was supposed to have their end of the year field day, but it was cancelled due to cold and rainy conditions.  When it was called, it was 44 degrees with light rain falling and a SE wind about 20 MPH.  If felt like an early November day before a storm was approaching.  The elementary PE teacher said in the 30 years that he has taught, it has only been cancelled 3 times, twice for heavy rain or lightning, and today for cold and rainy.  Last year it was 92 degrees when it began with humidity.  What a difference one year makes. 

When will clintbeed1993 be on NTV weather out of Kearney?  Looking forward to putting a face with the information and knowledge he shares here.

I don't know for sure. I just took the drug test this last week. They will be training me for a couple weeks before I can actually go on. I would guess sometime in June. Pretty nervous but excited at the same time! I'll let you know the exact day when I know for sure!

Looking like a pretty stormy period will be coming our way in the plains over the next 7 days. Storm chances increase greatly starting tomorrow night. Looking like Thursday through Saturday could get pretty nasty. Could be some severe weather. Looking at the models, I see some great instability those days. We will see!

http://www.weatherbell.com/saturday-summary-may-17-2014

Bastardi is forecasting a nice wet summer for the plains and wetter for Texas from Sept. on. Thank you El Niño.

Interesting little chat here.