February 2014 Observations and Discussion

clintbeed1993

Got up to the mid 50's today, I must say had the feel and smell of spring. Snow is pretty much all melted away and expect all the mounds to be gone in the middle of next week. Have a real good shot at 60 next week. Then next weekend needs to be watched as the LRC predicts a southwesterly flow and models are picking up on this. I would be happy if we can see one major storm to end the winter. The way things have been going this year though I don't know if we will be lucky enough or not...

Chicago is going to get MORE snow over the next week.  What a freaking joke this winter has been.

The LRC- the very reason why we won't get a big storm here in Nebraska all winter. Everything is repeating itself so why would anything change for us here...

LRC doesn't involve the storm track though.  LRC just entails the overall weather pattern and storm systems.  A storm that hit South Dakota would not necessary hit South Dakota when it comes back through the cycle.  There is 1 big reason our winter has been horrible here..Northwest Flow

So what you're saying is that the LRC just says there will be a storm somewhere in the country on a repeating pattern? That there could have been a big storm to hit South Dakota and when the pattern repeats itself, the storm that is due could go through Texas? No wonder the LRC is so wonderful than. It doesn't have to be that accurate. I thought it focused more on upper air patterns repeating themselves not just that a storm is going to hit somewhere in the lower 48 states on a repeat pattern.

What's almost amusing at this point(for lack of a better term) is how according to a certain someone on this board who always brags about his predictions coming to fruition, we(Nebraska) were supposed to be in this active pattern that originally was going to start in mid to late January, than that got pushed back to late January to early February, and then to February. Well here it is Feb 16th, there has been one big storm that went south of us and that's been it. The huge storm next weekend has gone away as well, at least for us here in Nebraska. The 50's and 60's this week are going to feel nice and spring at this point can't come soon enough!

Well looks like nws in Hastings, north Platte, and Goodland are backing off storm for this weekend. Our horrible luck or location on storms this winter continues. Seems that during the last decade storms seem to go more south and southeast more often than I can remember from my childhood. Now there is talk that next winter looks very similar. I am so depressed by how this winter has unfolded.

I have been so depressed this winter as well.  The 2 biggest problems for Nebraska this winter have been 1. Northwest Flow.  Pretty much all of January featured Northwest Upper Flow, which is terrible for us in terms of moisture.  That is why Iowa and Illinois got hammered so much. 2.  The High Pressure in the Pacific has been positioned too far East.  We need that Pacific High to be further West off the coast, that way when we get Southwest Flow and a trough comes out it sets up right by us.  The High has been positioned too far East, thus the storm track has been just to our East as well.  The upper air pattern and trough placement is to blame for lack of moisture.  It doesn't help that we haven't seen a Colorado Low, which are the most sure bet for us in terms of snowstorms.

18z gfs puts down 8-12 inches from Sunday- Tuesday across western and southern Nebraska. I know it is usually fantasy land but seeing this can raise my hope if only until 00z comes out when I am sure it will somehow jump to Illinois.

LMFAO!! You know with the winter we have been having you can't help but just laugh and shrug it off. Until snow is falling I'll also hold off jumping the gun and saying just maybe the 18z gfs is onto something.....

I have been so depressed this winter as well.  The 2 biggest problems for Nebraska this winter have been 1. Northwest Flow.  Pretty much all of January featured Northwest Upper Flow, which is terrible for us in terms of moisture.  That is why Iowa and Illinois got hammered so much. 2.  The High Pressure in the Pacific has been positioned too far East.  We need that Pacific High to be further West off the coast, that way when we get Southwest Flow and a trough comes out it sets up right by us.  The High has been positioned too far East, thus the storm track has been just to our East as well.  The upper air pattern and trough placement is to blame for lack of moisture.  It doesn't help that we haven't seen a Colorado Low, which are the most sure bet for us in terms of snowstorms.

Well said, it's just a rough year for us. Last year wasn't bad but not great. The thing is we don't see winters like the one we had back in 09-10' too often. With all the time I have had this winter, since watching models have done nothing but make me pull my hair out, I have noticed really its about once or at most twice a decade we see a real winter around these parts. We have yet to see our winter this decade so it's coming, just have to shrug it off and say wait till next year. I'm used to saying that with being a cubs fan and all!

I feel like I live in another solar system from all of you. While I want you all to get your dream winter and snow, I'm down here in short sleeves transplanting things and painting today in 70*. Tomorrow will give me 76*. A warm week ahead.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

next storm strengthens rapidly after it passes Omaha. Looks like an inch or two of nuisance snows with strong winds. Most of which will melt by the end of the day Thursday.

Went ahead and started a topic on this, if only we could get this thing to deepen quicker we could see some intense snow rates around these parts. Will see how this plays out; remember models weren't showing much up until last night so things can still change. 

Went ahead and started a topic on this, if only we could get this thing to deepen quicker we could see some intense snow rates around these parts. Will see how this plays out; remember models weren't showing much up until last night so things can still change. 

I'm not getting excited about this.  It will come through in the middle of the night for my area, which means I won't even get to see the intense snow if it even falls.  We also live in Nebraska, so my gut tells me that this thing will blow up in Iowa.  Hopefully I'm wrong!  I just really wish the timing was better and it wasn't such a darn short event.

Wow. 00z gfs buries central Nebraska with multiple storms over the next 10-15 days. Keep hoping this winter will end on a positive note with moisture laden storms to help ease the drought. Farmers in this region praying for rain or large heavy snowstorms. Our snow and the piles are already gone from last week.. Can't believe how fast they melted.

Actually we're not in that bad of a drought. All of eastern Nebraska is only at a D0 level(abnormally dry) with it much worse out in western Nebraska. I keep saying this, but below normal snow amounts in the winter don't lead to a crippling drought. Omaha expects less than 3" of total qpf for the entire winter. Plus usually the ground is frozen so a lot of moisture runs off anyways in the winter. If this pattern continues into the spring and summer than we have to worry.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Actually we're not in that bad of a drought. All of eastern Nebraska is only at a D0 level(abnormally dry) with it much worse out in western Nebraska. I keep saying this, but below normal snow amounts in the winter don't lead to a crippling drought. Omaha expects less than 3" of total qpf for the entire winter. Plus usually the ground is frozen so a lot of moisture runs off anyways in the winter. If this pattern continues into the spring and summer than we have to worry.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Forget about the Earth, What about good for the soul?  Haha  Snow is good for the soul, and we are desperately deprived this season.

• Like 1

Looks fairly quiet for awhile in the Midwest, but Nebraska and South Dakota does seems to pick up some snow.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Looks fairly quiet for awhile in the Midwest, but Nebraska and South Dakota does seems to pick up some snow.

We really need it Geos.  Our snowfall this season is between 10 and 15 inches.  I wish we could end with half of what you have right now.  We just need 1 massive Colorado Low and we should be able to hit average.