Season's First Potential Wintry Storm and Arctic Outbreak

Tom

00z GGEM is turning out to be the beginning of a GEM!  Classic deep trough digging deep down the leeward side of the Rockies into the southern Plains while a deepening SLP ejects out of the Pan Handle into the Lower Lakes.  Now this is what I'm talking about....

That shift south of the primary low from NW Nebraska to the panhandle of TX is pretty wacky.

Not whacky when your talking about a punishing shot of arctic air, tanking AO and the driving force of the PV down into southern Canada.  This pattern is anything BUT normal and I'm expecting an extraordinary outcome.

Really liking the model trends tonight...

Ya buddy!  Just want to see what the Euro is showing but it looks like this baby wants to dig down south into the Pan Handle.  I just don't see the northern route, never have been on that bandwagon as I expressed my thoughts on why that wouldn't or rather, shouldn't happen.  Would like to see this baby lay down snow from the Plains to the Lakes and share the love.

smh, suppressed city on the euro lol. 

Still showing some decent post frontal snows in the arctic air.  However, the models are def showing signs of the arctic push south so we may have some more room farther.  Still many more runs to go.  Should be a fun weekend seeing what the models want to do with this system.

The error or problem I already see with the Euro this run is it has the main SLP in SE CO at 120HR and one piece in S MO.  This is a big difference and the response is a sheared system.  Therefore, its typical for the Euro to have difficulty pin pointing what to do with the energy as it ejects out of the Rockies.  Nonetheless, it is still showing decent snowfall.

• Like 1

Eps controlattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Goodness, the GEM and two Euro models are yummy.  The GFS Ensembles are a mixed bag, some north, some a nice hit, and  a few suppressed.  MKE unfortunately is steering away from the strong low idea due to the lack of  a defined upper trough according to them.  I'm in wait and see mode.

Looking at the 06z GFS it seems that it is mostly an artic front coming through but the 1040H is still north of the border so it seems suspicious that the low coming out of the southwest is being suppressed. I may be wrong but I can definitely see the models change to a more formidable storm system in the coming days. The models are really having a hard time as we have seen with all the model mayhem the past couple days. I am guessing that we will see this happen many times this winter season as we did last year so be ready for many a sleepless nights.

This was the 6z Parallel GFS:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014110606/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014110606/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_18.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014110606/gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_19.png

Phasing appears to be an issue with this storm. A split low system will generally leave us dusted here in the Plains, and will not do near as well for you folks in the Midwest either. If this storm can come together sooner and get its act together, we could be talking something along the lines of a "bowling ball", per the GGEM. Man, that'd be awesome, for all of us. Excited for the 12z GFS, hopefully it throws a curveball and sides with the GGEM. 

Northern NE straight into Iowa/N. IL/S.WI should see a nice swath of 4-6 on this run.

WOW. James/East Dubzz will love this. A nice 6-9" storm for all of the Northeastern Iowa area through 120hr. All of Northern Nebraska/Iowa get crushed with this storm. This is a good sign. If we can get a shift 50 miles south, my area could easily be in the game of those heavy totals!

• Like 1

Slowly but surely this thing wants to dig and phase.  Looks like to me the pieces to the puzzle are coming together.  There is enough blocking that will allow this to happen.  Remember, this aint like last year when we had a +AO/+NAO and storms just streaked on by.  This year is much different, storms will slow and dig much more than they did last year.

Even with Clippers, it seems they are on steroids this Autumn.  Much windier than normal and tightly packed.  Imagine what they will be like in the winter when they will be as strong or even stronger.  Could have many more hybrid Clippers than normal.

• Like 2