Weather Pictures

MossMan

Frost depth

NWS_Twin Cities

"The blast of arctic air over the past two weeks drove frost deeper into the ground. Current frost depths range from 14 inches in St. Paul to 30 inches in Bloomer"

post-226-0-99653200-1515268230_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I documented the melt down in January 2012.

This was taken on 1/18/12:

402292_258627694205446_834653887_n.jpg?o

And then 6 years ago today on 1/23/12:

409211_258627614205454_451930991_n.jpg?o

What was your max depth with this event? I had a 26” depth, but it was gone by the 23rd as we got hit with the AR.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

What was your max depth with this event? I had a 26” depth, but it was gone by the 23rd as we got hit with the AR.

I think the max depth here was 30 inches.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cleaning up space on my phone, so might as well post these now.

March themed post. Not huge events, obviously, but fun nonetheless.

A few pictures from March 2014, 2015, and from today’s snowstorm:

March 2014:

- Saint Patrick’s Day Blizzard, ~ 8-10”:

LaoqMaG.jpg

- March 5th, 2015 chowder dump, ~ 4-6”:

bHQN4vY.jpg

c5JXoFY.jpg

- Today’s storm, ~ 4-6”:

7V81noo.jpg

v7EP5Sy.jpg

zQMg9In.jpg

The Great blizzard of 2016..one for the ages here. It dumped 3 feet here in one day, over 50” around the Blue Ridge.

- Death band overnight, 3-4”/hr:

H4ohbnA.jpg

Sunrise, about 70% though. About 27” had fallen, before the winds started:

kNgnZTu.jpg

k9pKR0w.jpg

Winding down, about 32”, accounting for drifts:

3HwBrTp.jpg

These subsequent photos aren’t mine, but were posted on social media by friends/fellow enthusiasts in the area.

V9OEy7E.jpg

i2bsgjb.jpg

4yyZoXQ.jpg

G501FTY.jpg

jHrobb5.jpg

• Like 1

The big kahuna is, of course, February 2010. The region saw between 5-7 feet of snow over the 12 day period from Jan 29 - Feb 10. We ran out of space to put it, lol.

zSWMI5Y.jpg

This one is the deck, with the table/umbrella completely buried/drifted over.

2Q5wUQS.jpg

Giant, 25-35ft snowdrift in the aftermath:

nidA6Dm.jpg

Will winter ever end?

poJOJoa.jpg

an0Gg4q.jpg

It did remain in the 70s thru most of last night, and warmed back to 75*F around noon today after yesterday’s high of 78*F, but we’re plunging back thru the 50s now behind the front, despite the midday April Sun, and that huge mass of Arctic air over the Hudson Bay doesn’t want to budge anytime soon. Skipped Spring?

Even if it doesn’t snow, this kinda reminds me of 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaves still slow to emerge here, even after that stretch of mid/upper 80s temps a week ago.

This was taken yesterday evening. The large, old-growth Tulip Poplars are leafing out, with the old Black Oak in between them still dormant. The smaller trees in front are White Pine and Slippery Elm, both of which are still largely dormant/in bud state. The Black Locust (barely in few to the left) is completely dormant, not even seeing buds yet.

QYSd1a2.jpg

uOB4UUC.jpg

Leaves still slow to emerge here, even after that stretch of mid/upper 80s temps a week ago.

This was taken yesterday evening. The large, old-growth Tulip Poplars are leafing out, with the old Black Oak in between them still dormant. The smaller trees in front are White Pine and Slippery Elm, both of which are still largely dormant/in bud state. The Black Locust (barely in few to the left) is completely dormant, not even seeing buds yet.

I was watching the news yesterday and they did a long range, elevated view of the WH and I noticed the same thing... I was expecting the trees to be in full summer mode there after that heat but they did not look that full yet.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I was watching the news yesterday and they did a long range, elevated view of the WH and I noticed the same thing... I was expecting the trees to be in full summer mode there after that heat but they did not look that full yet.

Yeah, I think the mini heatwave in February followed by the crash to winter in March shocked the trees a bit. It’s almost like they’re hesitating, expecting another crash.

We had low/mid 80s in the middle of February, surrounded by several weeks of spring-like warmth, and just as trees were starting to wake up, the hammer dropped. That nasty January cold wave and the general lack of precipitation from November to January couldn’t have helped, either. It was a winter full of temperature swings, especially during the second half.

FWIW, the old growth Tulip Poplars are looking pretty good/unscathed so far. I’ve never seen them get duped by a false spring, and as a result they’re leafing out heavily while some other species are still gathering themselves.

Yeah, I think the mini heatwave in February followed by the crash to winter in March shocked the trees a bit. It’s almost like they’re hesitating, expecting another crash.

We had low/mid 80s in the middle of February, surrounded by several weeks of spring-like warmth, and just as trees were starting to wake up, the hammer dropped. That nasty January cold wave and the general lack of precipitation from November to January couldn’t have helped, either. It was a winter full of temperature swings, especially during the second half.

FWIW, the old growth Tulip Poplars are looking pretty good/unscathed so far. I’ve never seen them get duped by a false spring, and as a result they’re leafing out heavily while some other species are still gathering themselves.

I think the same thing happened here with a false spring followed by a big crash in February... the trees are still recovering.

Phil, those are very mature trees, handsome trees. You must get some branch debris during violent thunderstorms.

My trees appreciate the compliment. :)

Yeah, they’ll often shed weak limbs during summer microburst events, but they actually do the majority of their “deadwooding” during fall/early winter windstorms, after the stress of the summer heat. By February/March, this self-pruning process is largely complete, and they’re ready to start the growing season from their stronger, consolidated structural foundations.

Some trees shed more than others, too. The larger trees in those photos are several hundred years old and exposed to the elements on a more frequent basis. They’ve also stood through centuries of great storms, like Hazel and the 19th century hurricanes, the June 1989 blowdown (at least 135mph, probably over 150mph), the 2012 Derecho, etc. So they don’t shed as much vs the smaller understory trees and evergreens.

I think the same thing happened here with a false spring followed by a big crash in February... the trees are still recovering.

Looking at the data from IAD..definitely some large temperature swings in recent months. Some high winds too. All around anti-tree, anti-flower weather.

UNQjCfc.jpg

9aUVbf7.jpg

2iYgNGs.jpg

Leaves are slow to come in here too due to the big SSW event that sent temperatures crashing in late February after a very warm December, January, and first half of February. It's one of the slowest years ever even with plenty of warm days in April.

Overnight lows are cooler than the past couple of years due to lower sea surface temperatures.

• Like 1