11/23 - 11/24 Potential Major Storm System

Tom

What were the big changes Tom?

Seems like the first piece goes north into the upper lakes, then a second piece develops just SE of Chicago.  This second piece may be able to tug down more cold air in future runs.  Also, the snows stretch so far west into the Plains states.  Def reminds me of the Christmas 2010 storm but that one had more colder air with it.

• Like 1

Seems like the first piece goes north into the upper lakes, then a second piece develops just SE of Chicago.  This second piece may be able to tug down more cold air in future runs.  Also, the snows stretch so far west into the Plains states.  Def reminds me of the Christmas 2010 storm but that one had more colder air with it.

Are you guys talking about Dec 2009 and not 2010? 

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/winter_storm_summaries/graphics/2009_2010/dec23_27_2009.html

Ya, I think that is the one...that year there was immense blocking...the AO was around -5 during that stretch and the NAO was about -1

AO:

2009 12 23 -5.577

2009 12 24 -5.256

2009 12 25 -5.052

2009 12 26 -4.406

2009 12 27 -3.724

NAO

2009 12 23 -0.876

2009 12 24 -0.935

2009 12 25 -1.017

2009 12 26 -0.886

2009 12 27 -0.636

Hold the phone. We are still a good amount of time away from the event, and nothing is set in stone. As everyone knows on this forum, it is not good, traditionally, to be forecasted to get clobbered multiple days in advance. Got a hunch that plenty of changes will follow in the coming days. No saying all rain, or doesn't look great for major snow, we still have plenty of time. 

Hastings NWS AFD hit the nail on the head, again. 

SAT-SUN: WHICH STREAM DOMINATES THE SPLIT FLOW? THAT HAS POTENTIALLY
SIGNIFICANT IMPLICATIONS TO THE FCST AND IT PROBABLY WILL NOT BE
RESOLVED UNTIL WE ARE WITHIN 1-2 DAYS. IN THE PAST 24 HRS...THE
GFS/GEM HAVE BEGUN PLACING WHAT APPEARS TO BE TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON
THE NRN STREAM LOW HEADING ACROSS THE NRN PLAINS. THE 12Z GFS CAME
IN AND MAINTAINS THE POTENCY OF BOTH AND I JUST CANNOT SEE THAT
HAPPENING. THE EC CONTS CONSISTENT PLACING THE EMPHASIS ON THE SRN
PLAINS LOW WHICH MAKES MORE SENSE WITH A DIGGING TROF UPSTREAM.

BELIEVE WE WILL HAVE A SUB 990 LOW TRACKING JUST E OF THE REGION.

THE MODELS AND ENSEMBLES CONT TO SUGGEST THE COMMAHEAD PRECIP MISSES
TO THE E. HOWEVER...THE TOP ANALOGS FOR SIMILAR EVENTS /AVAILABLE
FROM THE COOPERATIVE INSTITUTE FOR PRECIP SYSTEMS/ SUGGESTS IT WILL
RAIN HERE. THE MEDIAN RAINFALL BRINGS .10-.25" DEEP INTO THE FCST
AREA. THE MEAN IS HIGHER.

SO AGAIN...SUGGEST CAUTION ON USING OUR WEEKEND FCST BECAUSE
UNCERTAINTY IS HIGH AND WE MAY NEED TO BE SUBSTANTIALLY WETTER/
SNOWIER? THAN CURRENTLY INDICATED IN THE FCST. BELIEVE THE CHANCE
FOR PRECIP WILL INCREASE WITH LATER FCSTS.
  • Like 1

Amazing what a little bit of rain instead of snow forecasted can do to this forum. It has been dead in here tonight.

Cold rain is seriously the worst, would much rather have 40s and sunny than 40s and moderate to heavy stratiform rain.  If we get in the warm sector to allow for t'storms, that's a different story.

Phase happens sooner on the 00z parallel 

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111900/gfsp_z500_mslp_us_19.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111900/gfsp_z500_mslp_us_20.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014111900/gfsp_z500_mslp_us_21.png

Still looks a bit to far north near the Canadian border...maybe we can score some wrap around snows.

I don't want to sound like a downer, but I seriously think that some of you are getting your hopes up for what looks to be nothing more than a late season rainstorm with little to no snow. 

We're still a little ways away from this event. More phasing could happen as the model run go on. I would think Iowa up into far western WI and MN would stand the best chance to see the most snow from this if it does produce.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I don't want to sound like a downer, but I seriously think that some of you are getting your hopes up for what looks to be nothing more than a late season rainstorm with little to no snow. 

I'm not getting my hopes up, in fact, I dont think this storm will phase quick enough to bring a significant snow storm.  However, I can see some wrap around snows once the system matures and starts occluding.  Nothing to significant.