Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Great Plains - Winter Weather Observations

South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Oklahoma Texas Winter Forecast Manitoba Saskatchewan
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

CentralNebWeather

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
00z gfs goes from the panhandle through south central Nebraska with 3-6 or so. Looks a little less in southeast nebraska. Pretty thin. It looks real good in my location, holdrege. Doesn't look like much north or far east on this model. Nam is farther east. 12z gem is almost identical to the gfs.

winterfreak

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

winterfreak

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri
Yeah Wednesday system looking lame around here as well. Maybe wee can squeeze.out an inch lol.

clintbeed1993

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 698 posts
  • LocationGrand Island, NE

Latest NAM is really juiced up for Central Nebraska.  Hopefully the trend holds with the GFS which has been much lighter and more narrow with the band.

Attached Files

mlgamer

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

mlgamer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Here in Topeka we're sitting at 4.2 inches of snow for the season and 2 of that was a wet, sloppy snow in mid Dec.  Tomorrow's (Wed 2/4) clipper looks to be pretty weak around here so maybe an inch at best is my guess. Nothing definite showing up anytime soon after that.  The beat goes on.........zzzzzzzzz

NEJeremy

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

We better get some good snows out of this clipper tomorrow, because after that it looks warmer and dry. The GFS really doesn't give us anything after that for the next 16 days and has pretty warm temps, especially from southern/western Nebraska down into Kansas. I noticed some days of what could be 70 degrees. Even here in eastern Nebraska we miss most of the cold and should see lots of days in the 40s or even 50s once we melt off this snow.

Snowlover76

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Looking like after this weekend, winter is effectively over here in Nebraska. At least that is the way that I see it.  Some might see different. 

Tom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18869 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Looking like after this weekend, winter is effectively over here in Nebraska. At least that is the way that I see it.  Some might see different. 

By Feb 15th,  I wan't you to remember this comment... ;)

• jaster220 likes this

winterfreak

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

winterfreak

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
Looking pretty balmy starting this weekend snd lasting for about ten days. Running out of time lol.

Snowlover76

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Looking pretty balmy starting this weekend snd lasting for about ten days. Running out of time lol.

Yup

clintbeed1993

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 698 posts

According to the NWS, 4 miles North of Aurora (I live in Aurora) received 8.7 inches from the clipper and 9 inches from the weekend storm.  That would bring the total snowfall in Aurora over the past 7 days to 18 inches!  I'm really glad I moved back to Aurora from Kearney because Aurora was in the heaviest band with both storms!

• jcwxguy and Snowlover76 like this

jcwxguy

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:53 PM

jcwxguy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationGretna, NE

Latest NAM is really juiced up for Central Nebraska.  Hopefully the trend holds with the GFS which has been much lighter and more narrow with the band.

looks like it was pretty close :)

CentralNebWeather

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

06 GFS- Yes please.  Wow if we could only lock that in for Nebraska we would be dancing in the snow.

Snowlover76

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

06 GFS- Yes please.  Wow if we could only lock that in for Nebraska we would be dancing in the snow.

seems like every time I declare winter over it comes back. 

reverse jinx FTW 

CentralNebWeather

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Wait, 12Z GFS, all has disappeared.  Not the best run in Nebraska history.  Ouch.

Snowlover76

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Wait, 12Z GFS, all has disappeared. Not the best run in Nebraska history. Ouch.

Yup. Not much of a shock there.

mlgamer

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

mlgamer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Well, I'm here shoveling out of my 1.5 inches of snow from last night bringing my seasonal total up to about 6.8 inches.  Of course, a person from Boston would roar with laughter at such pittance...  :lol:

CentralNebWeather

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Would sure take what the 12Z GFS paints for us in Nebraska. 21st-23rd storm has Central Nebraska in a bullseye of well over a foot.  Like the potential but never get too excited.  Moisture would be fantastic if it verifies.  Starting to hope for a storm to track this week and this weekend.

Tom, keep us posted and hopefully in a couple of days we might start thread for this if things continue.  Think snow for all.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Local Mets mentioning a pattern change with more cold and storminess for us in the Plains.  Still want to see several more days of runs before getting to excited.  Many are saying that the cold dry air from a large High northeast of here would limit the accumulations farther east, but things will change many times in the next week and I don't think anyone is out of the game yet.

clintbeed1993

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 698 posts

Local Mets mentioning a pattern change with more cold and storminess for us in the Plains.  Still want to see several more days of runs before getting to excited.  Many are saying that the cold dry air from a large High northeast of here would limit the accumulations farther east, but things will change many times in the next week and I don't think anyone is out of the game yet.

Models are sucking something awful this year.  Snowfall went from 12+ to nadda from the 12z to 0z.  Not the first time this has happened either.  How pathetic.  Who knows, maybe the storm will be back on models tomorrow.

mlgamer

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

mlgamer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

lol...while every "big" storm has managed to skip past us one way or another here in Topeka, a tiny little storm has dropped nearly an inch of snow at my house this early morning and at least another inch looks possible based on radar.  Fairly heavy snow falling at the moment. It's like having an isolated thunderstorm pass overhead while everywhere else remains dry. Weather is strange.

• CentralNebWeather likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:57 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Wow, the GFS has changed for the worse.  I think it is just one of those years (wait we have had many of those) that a decent sized storm is not in the cards for us.  We would dance in the streets for a couple of inches and in Boston they are snowblowing their roofs and can't find places to put the snow.  

Hopefully there is some consensus from the models in the coming days.

NEJeremy

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:06 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Models are sucking something awful this year.  Snowfall went from 12+ to nadda from the 12z to 0z.  Not the first time this has happened either.  How pathetic.  Who knows, maybe the storm will be back on models tomorrow.

I agree the models have been pretty bad this year, but a lot of times we are seeing something 7-10 days out, get all excited about it, and then blame the models when nothing happens, i.e. this potential weekend storm. The models have always done that every year.

There has been plenty of times this year though where there has been no model agreement 2-3 days out and that is what's frustrating.

• CentralNebWeather likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Anyone under that intense but small southward moving area of snow in central Nebraska?! I see some yellows showing up on the radar reflectivity! I've noticed a WWA posted for south central Nebraska for 1-5" of snow, but it's not supposed to snow in any one area for longer than 2-3 hours so very intense rates. I looked at the local reporting stations and it's showing winds over 30 mph after it starts so lots of blowing and drifting as well. We've had only a few flurries here in Omaha, just enough to coat the grass and sidewalks

clintbeed1993

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

clintbeed1993

Forum Contributor

• Mods
  • 698 posts

Got another quick 3 inches here in Aurora today.  I think our total for the year is up to about 28 inches.  We made it to normal!  Aurora has been one of the heaviest hit areas in the state though.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Not a flake in Holdrege.  Boy have we been missed to the east, north, southeast, and southwest.  Oh and by the way, the northwest.  We were put in a winter weather advisory but I have no idea why.  If you looked at the radar it was way east of us.  Faculty at our school asked about it as they got alerts but I told them we weren't getting a flake, and we didn't.  Sunny skies now with a brown ground.  Boring.

Tom

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18869 posts

12z GFS alone would make up for the snow deficit in KS next week!  Let the glacier continue to build.  BTW, this pattern setting up is something I believe most of you in the Plains wont forget.  The "back loaded" winter continues....

CentralNebWeather

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Yes please.  It even shows amounts up to 2 feet or more just south of me.  Even smaller amounts would make up for our entire winter's lack of snow.  Just got excited, and not just because its Friday.  Have a great weekend everyone.

Tom

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18869 posts

Yes please.  It even shows amounts up to 2 feet or more just south of me.  Even smaller amounts would make up for our entire winter's lack of snow.  Just got excited, and not just because its Friday.  Have a great weekend everyone.

This is the time of year when your region can get blasted with snow storms.  Not only does the GFS show this, but the GGEM has been consistent showing the same general idea.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

I have said on here before, our largest snowstorms or blizzards always seem to be Oct/Nov. or late Feb./March/ even April recently.  Storm this weekend seems to be to our southwest but really like the looks of later next week.  

What is funny is that exactly 2 years ago we had a storm the same week that dumped up to 15 inches and we had 2 snow days from school.  I coach Junior High basketball and the team we play to finish our season from Grand Island, we have not been there in 6 years due to storms that have hit during the last week of February.

winterfreak

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

winterfreak

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
Amazing hw that snow shield just slams on the breaks on my doorstep.

Tom

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18869 posts

18z GFS continues to target NE/KS mid next week...

CentralNebWeather

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Thanks Tom. Can we get to next week yet?

winterfreak

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

winterfreak

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
Don't have a way of looking at it right niw but is that the whole storm? Snow shoeld seems odd.

Tom

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18869 posts

Don't have a way of looking at it right niw but is that the whole storm? Snow shoeld seems odd.

Your area gets hit by one system....slow mover

NEJeremy

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Amazing hw that snow shield just slams on the breaks on my doorstep.

A lot of it looks like it falls as upslope flow along the front range and out onto the plains and the storm never makes it that far to the east with the same strength. dries up as it heads into the supreme cold and dry air

CentralNebWeather

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
12z gfs, why do you keep getting our hopes up?

winterfreak

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

winterfreak

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
Woah gfs looks like it torches big time down here. Nice rain storm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Winter Forecast, Manitoba, Saskatchewan