12/26 - 12/27 Potential Winter Storm

Tom

On the heels of a Great Lakes beast, model consensus seems to be honing in on another winter storm ejecting out of the Rockies and developing over the Plains.  From there, models are having a tough time trying to figure out the track/intensity of this storm due to the Christmas Eve system.  Still lots of time to dial in on this storm potential, but it looks like another Plains to Lakes system that bears watching.

GGEM:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_132_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_156_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_12/accum/SN_120-240_0000.gif

Can we delete this thread?! LOL Unless we need to watch for where the flurries or 1-3" amounts are going to fall. I guess this is a good thing though- won't have to worry about traveling on Christmas or the weekend

Not necessary, still plenty of time to see this unfold.  Patience my friend.

I agree, far from out of the woods.  In case nobody has noticed, the models don't seem to have a clue what these storms will do.  I have rarely seen so many flops from all of the models before.  Somebody is going to get some nice snows to close out December.

Indeed, and a lot has to do with the amount of cold coming into the pattern and the changing teleconnections.  The models have a ton of figuring out to do over the next few days.

• Like 1

Weak wave on the GFS. Might be good enough for a 1-3" snowfall at this point.

Better than nothing in a boring weather month.

post-7-0-50657700-1419356072_thumb.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Man we just stink over here in the plains.  I know winter goes in cycles, so I would imagine we are in our slim years right now.  Looking back there were a lot of winters that had under 20 inches and even some under 10.  It would always bounce back a couple years later with some really big winters.  I think maybe the late period of this decade could have some better snowy winters, hopefully.  I sure can't take much more of this under 20 crap.

I know this system has lost alot of steam compared to runs a few days ago, but the 18z NAM showed this energy potentially digging a bit more south towards the end of the run.  12z GFS kinda was showing it but not really.  Until this wave of energy arrives into the Balloon Network and gets sampled, there may be a surprise in store for those in Nebraska.

As I write this, 18z GFS showing the same thing and trying to dig this system farther south.  Has a SLP trying to develop near Amarillo, TX @ 69HR with moisture coming up from the GOM.  Let's see if this can develop over the next couple days.

GFS showing a few streaks of 2"+ in the central Plains this weekend. Would be nice to see this wave strengthen up a bit ahead of the Arctic air.

post-7-0-60240800-1419395057_thumb.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Nws Hastings says nam is to robust and thus just say very light amounts in the next week. Gfs also gives us a good chance on the 30th but mets just say flurries. I will see if they are correct or there typical conservative forecasts. At this point no model can be thrown out or followed 100%.

That's right! These models have shown big snows before and it could always come back. There is a lot of arctic air coming through and that almost always spins up big systems. Won't have to worry about cold air this time!!

It's a shame we have to name 2" a winter storm, but that's the pattern we've been in the last couple of years :(

Notice the wording from NWS in North Platte...its too bad its not in your area so it wasn't really necessary to change the title...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTH PLATTE NE

350 PM CST WED DEC 24 2014

...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT NORTHWESTERN NEBRASKA STARTING CHRISTMAS

AFTERNOON...

.SNOW WILL SPREAD INTO NORTHWESTERN NEBRASKA DURING CHRISTMAS

AFTERNOON AS A WINTER STORM MOVES THROUGH THE PLAINS AND CONTINUE

INTO FRIDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE

EXPECTED FOR NORTHWEST NEBRASKA...GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTHWEST OF

A CHAPPELL...TO MULLEN...TO VALENTINE LINE. IN ADDITION TO THE

SNOWFALL...NORTHWEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE THURSDAY NIGHT

INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THESE STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE AREAS OF

BLOWING SNOW REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO A HALF MILE AT TIMES.