12/26 - 12/27 Potential Winter Storm

Tom

Another reason I am confident in a decent snow. We will see if NWS Hastings changes their minimal snow idea in the late afternoon discussion.

When I saw that sneaky SLP digging farther and farther south with each run a couple days ago, something told me to be patient and see how the models handle that energy.  I think most of NE should fair well with this system.  Extreme SE NE is probably not in an ideal location though.

I think central and western Nebraska do just fine. My prediction is 4 inches at my house. I will let you know how i did. Merry Christmas and thanks for the positive words.

Hope you guys see some appreciable snowfall out of this before the arctic attack hits.  Wtih temps in the mid/upper 20's for central/western NE, and 850's -8C and lower, this should be a high ratio snowfall.  Maybe 15:1-18:1 snow ratios that will fluff up those totals.  

Meantime, 12z Euro looking better from previous runs.

After this little storm and with the potential of next weeks snow places in northwest nebraska could have a foot and a half plus snow depth! Hoping this is a sign of things to come, this will all come down to ratios and moisture availability. this will be an interesting next 12 hours of model watching......

• Like 1

Sorry guys...I just stepped out and checked my phone. With family and having many cocktails and shots. IMO, if the GFS jumped on board, that means the model is finally seeing the energy. Euro will concur. Enjoy the snowfall! ORD will see its first significant snowfall with the Jan 3rd/4th snowfall.

• Like 1

After this little storm and with the potential of next weeks snow places in northwest nebraska could have a foot and a half plus snow depth! Hoping this is a sign of things to come, this will all come down to ratios and moisture availability. this will be an interesting next 12 hours of model watching......

Being in Minnesota, congratulations guys on atleast having something to track within 60 hrs! I'd love for you guys to have a hefty snowpack, despite my absence. I hate to be a Debby downer, but Eastern Nebraska is looking like it will once again be missed. Feeling for you guys out in Omaha and Lincoln. I really hope things turn the corner for us. I'd love to come home to a solid snowpack and not brown grass and dreary conditions, sick of the blehh weather we've had the past year.

Being in Minnesota, congratulations guys on atleast having something to track within 60 hrs! I'd love for you guys to have a hefty snowpack, despite my absence. I hate to be a Debby downer, but Eastern Nebraska is looking like it will once again be missed. Feeling for you guys out in Omaha and Lincoln. I really hope things turn the corner for us. I'd love to come home to a solid snowpack and not brown grass and dreary conditions, sick of the blehh weather we've had the past year.

I'm guessing this is the warmest/least snowiest winter in Minnesota for a while! Drive safe, hopefully this system can throw some more surprises for everyone. Here is the current snow forecast from Hastings.....WWA just off to my west/NW. Just give me 2" and i'll be happy, anything over that would be a bonus. Can't get greedy or complain since who knows when our next chance of snow will be with this pattern. 

current.png

and fitting with the theme so far this winter- they've lowered the totals here in Omaha to less than an inch tonight, and then that's it for the rest of the month. What a December to remember- as a dud! Should finish with less than an inch of snow this month and up to 3" for the year now.

My guess is when the snow ends we will top out close to 3 inches, assuming it can snow for several more hours.  A little less than I predicted, (I thought for sure close to 4 inches),  seemed like it started alot later than advertised.  Really looking at the Monday, Dec. 30th for several inches.  One site is saying 3-6 for this area but I think it will really be one of those "as it is happening events" to see where the heaviest band sets up.  Some are putting it in Northern Kansas, while others keep the heaviest amounts in Western and Central Nebraska.  Time will tell.

That is too bad for Eastern Nebraska, really know what you are going through with our poor winters of the past couple of years.

My guess is when the snow ends we will top out close to 3 inches, assuming it can snow for several more hours.  A little less than I predicted, (I thought for sure close to 4 inches),  seemed like it started alot later than advertised.  Really looking at the Monday, Dec. 30th for several inches.  One site is saying 3-6 for this area but I think it will really be one of those "as it is happening events" to see where the heaviest band sets up.  Some are putting it in Northern Kansas, while others keep the heaviest amounts in Western and Central Nebraska.  Time will tell.

That is too bad for Eastern Nebraska, really know what you are going through with our poor winters of the past couple of years.

What site are you looking at that has 3-6" for central Nebraska on Monday the 29th? I'd love to have something to follow but I'm not seeing anything close to that where I'm looking. NWS for you area has maybe an inch, and the models I've looked at agree.

Accuweather has us in 3-6.  Don't always trust them but they were spot on with this storm.  GFS 18Z is showing 3-5 and the NAM is less and has more of the snow in Northern Kansas.  Local mets only mentioning a couple of inches of wind blown snow but they also just listed flurries several days ago for this storm so I don't always trust them.  

Under a nice band of snow now.  Lots of blowing of the snow around.  Winter Weather Advisory for 2-4 inches looks right on target.  NWS North Platte mentioned places NE of North Platte would be closer to 6 inches with a persistent band.  I think here in Holdrege there is still another batch of snow in NW Kansas that is moving northeast so snow should continue for a few more hours before ending.  I will try and get a final amount when it ends.  

From Accuweather- for Monday, Dec. 30th ( day and night) for what it is worth,  Hope they are correct.

Breezy and colder with snow at times, accumulating 1-3 inches.  Brisk and bitterly cold with snow, accumulating 1-3 inches; storm total snowfall 3-6 inches

Your first problem is listening to Accuweather.  They have about 0% accuracy rate.

Still haven't seen a flurry here in Lincoln. Today NWS was calling for an inch. Now saying lucky if we see a 1/2 inch. I'm just hoping we can see at least 1-2 more 2 plus inch storms so that I can put my blades on the ground. The snow business in SE Nebraska has become very difficult the past couple or years.