New Year's Weekend Potential Major Winter Storm

Scott26

It's all in the fun of tracking winter storms my friend.  Go Hawks!  Just hope we get a snow storm outta this and not a mix situation.

Must have been one heck of a game to be at, I know I was on pins & needles from the 3rd period onward...

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SATANL/sat500_18.gif

The energy is now completely onshore, meaning the radiosonde network can now fully absorb the storm, as it appears to have done with vigor on the 0z runs. Whether this north trend continues remains to be seen, but anything from here on out is, in essence, fair game.

As each new run comes in this is getting weaker. Unfortunately it does not look like this is going to amount to much, maybe a nuisance snow at best. It just doesn't look good to me at all. Watch the 12z runs come in with a huge storm now that I posted this. 

Edit: Ooops...meant to say 0z runs

Interesting 0z runs. It looks like the EURO wants to cave into the rest of the modeling but is pretty weak with the precip. Canadian goes

bonkers with an ice storm(which by the way rarely happens for the Chi-Town area)and GFS keeps its same track now for the past several runs.

I was reading on one of the afd's that a 2nd northern wave coming from Asia will be the one to watch to see if we can get a phase out of this

to blowup a decent size storm.

I hope I have to eat my words above of a "nuisance snow" and the storm phases to blow up a major storm for all of us.

Here is part of the afd from Michigan I was alluding to:

AS FOR OUR SYSTEM THAT MAY OR MAY NOT IMPACT SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN THIS

WEEKEND... OUR SPLITTING POLAR VORTEX PLAYS A ROLE. THE QUESTION IS

JUST HOW FAR SOUTH DOES THIS SYSTEM DIG INTO THE NORTHERN UNITED

STATES? CAN IT DIG ENOUGH TO PHASE WITH THE SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM?

CURIOUSLY WHAT DRIVES THE PHASING (NOW SEEN ON THE ECMWF) IS A

SYSTEM COMING OFF OF NORTHERN ASIA NOW. THE SYSTEM THAT IS

CURRENTLY OVER THE GULF OF ALASKA DOES SEND A SHORTWAVE OVER THE

WESTERN RIDGE THAT AND HELPS TO DIG THE TROUGH BUT IT IS THE

SHORTWAVE THAT FOLLOWS THAT FROM A SYSTEM NOW COMING OFF SHORE NEAR

KAMCHATKA... THAT COMES INTO THE DIGGING TROUGH AT JUST THE RIGHT

TIME TO REALLY DIG THE UPPER TROUGH FARTHER WEST...ALLOWING FOR THE

PHASING THIS SYSTEM.

This is shaping up to be a classic winter storm so no more of this warm air aloft and needing some dynamic cooling garbage. Now it's mostly track-dependent and how early or how late it phases. I understand being wary considering our luck so far, but I definitely think this has less bust potential. Models are showing that nice trowal feature with wrap around moisture as the low moves to the NE and deepens rapidly. The defo band looks pretty widespread so this could be a lot more of a "spread the wealth" type event.

• Like 3

It looks like the 12z GGEM has a much stronger northern stream which pulls the southern low farther north and bombs out north of Lake Huron.  It's the southern low that will end up being the stronger of the two pieces of energy.  I don't discount the GGEM, but I do think it has the northern piece to strong.  Same thing happened with the Christmas Eve system that had a stronger southern piece.  9 out of 10 times when you have a system come up from the south and merge with a northern piece, the southern piece will end up being the stronger of the two. 

• Like 1

It looks like the 12z GGEM has a much stronger northern stream which pulls the southern low farther north and bombs out north of Lake Huron.  It's the southern low that will end up being the stronger of the two pieces of energy.  I don't discount the GGEM, but I do think it has the northern piece to strong.  Same thing happened with the Christmas Eve system that had a stronger southern piece.  9 out of 10 times when you have a system come up from the south and merge with a northern piece, the southern piece will end up being the stronger of the two. 

Not saying it's wrong but the clear trend on the 0z and 12z models is for a stronger northern stream than progged the last few days. 

Tom, do you have the snow maps for the GEM by any chance?

I agree completely. You definitely can't discount it because it's a plausible solution, but it's pretty rare for the northern stream to become dominant over the southern stream.