January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

65 degrees here... seems to be a little cooler down in the valley.   Feels like a nice May day here.   My daughter and I went for a bike ride and she told me 'its nice to have summer again'.   :)

10934135_760043687397175_648021386659773

All your snow is gone?  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

61 degrees here currently. Meanwhile the click forecast for my sisters place in NYC. 24-37" of snow with thunder possible. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-73.96552&lat=40.80387#.VMVVQP7F98F 

Historic.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

68 yesterday under sunny skies, 46 now under the inversion. Want to hike Spencer's butte, but it only goes up to 2,000 feet, how warm should it be up there?

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

61 degrees here currently. Meanwhile the click forecast for my sisters place in NYC. 24-37" of snow with thunder possible. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-73.96552&lat=40.80387#.VMVVQP7F98F 

The storm has apparently crashed the server over at americanwx.com.

A forum for the end of the world.

Some 70s on the Oregon Coast.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

That seems just a little overdone, 12-24" is far more likely, especially for NYC; they're playing with fire at the edge of primary precipitation shield and could end up with under 12" with a slight shift to the east.

This is that storm at forecast its prime, looks like a decent storm but it's being pretty hyped:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/gfs_namer_039_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Boston NWS's forecast discussion mentions nothing of our mild foothill temps.

Jeff Masters of Wunderground:

The densely populated area from New York City to Boston could experience one of its ten biggest snowstorms on record early this week, as a textbook nor’easter takes shape over the next 48 hours. While local details are bound to evolve somewhat as the storm develops, the models are now in strong, consistent agreement on a potentially crippling snowstorm. Blizzard watches were hoisted on Sunday morning from eastern New Jersey to northeast Massachusetts, including the New York, Providence, and Boston metropolitan areas. 

Despite the increasing skill of computer forecast models in recent years, this week’s threat emerged remarkably quickly. As recently as Friday, the model consensus was for a weaker storm that would sweep through the region from west to east, then strengthen well offshore. One of the first models to switch gears was the ECMWF, whose operational run issued at 00Z Friday night highlighted the risk of a potential blockbuster storm for the Northeast U.S. By Saturday morning, most other models had quickly joined the bandwagon. “All operational models now have the forecast of a major snowstorm/blizzard,” said NOAA’s Weather Prediction Center on Sunday morning.

The driver for this record-threatening event is a strong upper-level wave now diving across the Midwest. In line with the pattern of several other storms this year, this wave will produce a stripe of snow from northern Indiana and Ohio into Pennsylvania, dropping several inches on the Washington and Philadelphia metro areas by Monday afternoon. On its heels, a powerful branch of the jet stream will continue diving southeastward, intensified by a unusually strong ridge over the western U.S. that produced record highs across Washington, Oregon, and California on Saturday. As it moves off the mid-Atlantic coast, the upper-level energy will consolidate into a powerful upper-level low and generate a rapidly intensifying surface low. Surface pressures may drop by more than 24 millibars in 24 hours, qualifying the storm as a true coastal “bomb". Sea surface temperatures are well above average off the northeast U.S. coast, which could help fuel the storm’s strengthening. As it reaches peak intensity on Tuesday, the surface low is expected to slow down just southeast of Cape Cod, which would keep the snow machine going at full strength and lash the New England coast with winds gusting to 60 mph or more in places. 

• Like 2

Having fun tracking the NE snowstorm with some friends who live out there.

Meanwhile I'm walking around Greenlake in shorts right now and am perfectly comfortable. It could easily be a fairly nice June day.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just got done washing all of our cars/truck/SUV's in my shorts and Seahawks T-Shirt...and blinded everyone within a 4 mile radius with my very white legs!! Feels like May out there.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yesterday I biked up to Council Crest in t-shirt and shorts – it was in the low 60s down here in SE Portland and even warmer up above 1000 ft at the summit! I only felt chilly coming down through Goose Hollow, where it seems a pool of cooler air had settled in against the east side of the hills.

The temperature difference over a few miles is amazing today. It's 59 at about 200 ft elevation near Laurelhurst Park with hazy/murky sunshine, and 49 at PDX about 5 miles to the north.

-
More positive "spin" perhaps, and not wanting to focus too strongly on the Alaska's at least starting to get colder at this point idea, … @ .. @ / @

This with the idea that this more current propensity could [in fact] be just more temporary:  with the higher latitude wave more currently moving through it perhaps being more, only that, and not followed by others, …

None the less hopeful, and where looking at the advent more positively, what I'm looking at are two main ideas set along with, or even more against, how things might be being looked at otherwise, mainly and more basically "the models", out to 7-10 days. 

First the modelsand if with my marking the idea here important to it, that I probably have a fairly unique perspective regarding what they generate, as with my in fact not wanting to distort my view where working to assess to project main colder air mass movement where looking ahead with using more seat-of-the-pants methods, I don't check them. 

.. With checking the main "verification" of the main European model, I'm noting that in fact it didn't "catch" the current wave of cold moving through Alaskacertainly not very wellat 7 days. 

.. This with then my other main thought being, if repeated here, that with broader coldi.e. that through the main mid-latitudes, together along with to a certain extent those higherper my view being in general recession mode at this point (i.e. back toward its main higher latitude source regions north, essentially recoiling following a better distribution of cold more south.), that this whole idea more general where looked at, and if allowing warmer air to move more northward, is at the same time, working to allow for better general consolidation of main and more primary cold north.

The main more hemispheric scope IR, 3-hourly .. here again. - http://theweatherfor...thwest/?p=65101

---

The densely populated area from New York City to Boston could experience one of its ten biggest snowstorms on record early this week, as a textbook nor’easter takes shape over the next 48 hours. While local details are bound to evolve somewhat as the storm develops, the models are now in strong, consistent agreement on a potentially crippling snowstorm. Blizzard watches were hoisted on Sunday morning from eastern New Jersey to northeast Massachusetts, including the New York, Providence, and Boston metropolitan areas. 

Despite the increasing skill of computer forecast models in recent years, this week’s threat emerged remarkably quickly. As recently as Friday, the model consensus was for a weaker storm that would sweep through the region from west to east, then strengthen well offshore. One of the first models to switch gears was the ECMWF, whose operational run issued at 00Z Friday night highlighted the risk of a potential blockbuster storm for the Northeast U.S. By Saturday morning, most other models had quickly joined the bandwagon. “All operational models now have the forecast of a major snowstorm/blizzard,” said NOAA’s Weather Prediction Center on Sunday morning.

Oh, how nice. Their weather models all went into agreement in what.....12 hours?? We can't get agreement in 12 days! Must be nice.

• Like 1

It is amazing how every place but the Northwest is capable of historic events. Hope they get nothing but rain lol  :lol: jk

77 on 1-17-2014

77 on 1-16-2009

76 on 1-19-2013

75 on 2-13-1996

75 on 2-23-1995

74 on 1-15-2009

74 on 2-27-1992

These are their DJF maximums since the station went online in 1985. Will be interesting to see where they land today. Third straight January they're shooting for the stars.

76 today at Horse Creek.

It is amazing how every place but the Northwest is capable of historic events. Hope they get nothing but rain lol  :lol: jk

I think what we are getting now says we will in the not too distant future (not talking about this year though). Things always even out. Always.

When you look at what came after the late 30s / early 40s mega torch you get the idea. That having been said it's going to be painful getting through the rest of this warm regime.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think what we are getting now says we will in the not too distant future (not talking about this year though). Things always even out. Always.

When you look at what came after the late 30s / early 40s mega torch you get the idea. That having been said it's going to be painful getting through the rest of this warm regime.

Today was far from painful. LOVED IT. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sexy 70 at Newport.

Looks like a first for January there at least in modern times. 69 in 1981 at the COOP was previous highest. There are a couple of shaky looking readings in the 70's from 1893 and 1895.

North Bend into the 70's in back to back January's (73 in 2014 and 70 today) for the first time since records began in 1902.

The 18z GFS really tries to get us into a better pattern.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Even Montana is torching right now. Quite an epic event in it's own right.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah that could be hard to pull off. I do believe the lowlands will still get some snow this winter and the mountains will get crushed in march.

I actually think a full blown Arctic blast is as likely as us getting into some other kind of satisfying pattern. The highest chance is that we stay in an overwhelming warm regime at least well into spring.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9