February 2015 PNW Discussion

BLI snowman

Most people meaning the general public.

I wouldn't say that most of us don't care, but most of us know when the ship has sailed. When it's February 1st with nothing good on the horizon, my mind tends to start focusing more on spring. It's pretty hard for this climate to string together a decent number of cold and snowy days after mid February.

As of tomorrow it will have been a month since my last sub-32 temp out here.

Have had a few 33 degree mornings but wind and low clouds during good radiational cooling setups for the valleys have really kept things up in this part of the Gorge.

I have managed to scrape up a 27 and 32 in the last two weeks. Exciting! :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Most people meaning the general public.

I wouldn't say that most of us don't care, but most of us know when the ship has sailed. When it's February 1st with nothing good on the horizon, my mind tends to start focusing more on spring. It's pretty hard for this climate to string together a decent number of cold and snowy days after mid February.

I just hope if this spring is going to be warm it will also feature a lot of sunshine. I hate warm rainy weather. Spring can often be quite depressing here.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just hope if this spring is going to be warm it will also feature a lot of sunshine. I hate warm rainy weather. Spring can often be quite depressing here.

Hey... now that is a Jim statement that I can get behind!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You are so obsessed... you realize most people don't care at all.  And many of the people being impacted by cold and snow would rather have it warmer.   :)

There are a fair number that aren't happy about the situation in the mountains. And yes I am obsessed. Our inability to get anything remotely interesting this entire winter has served to accentuate that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There are a fair number that aren't happy about the situation in the mountains. And yes I am obsessed. Our inability to get anything remotely interesting this entire winter has served to accentuate that.

All the more reason to just let it go.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He knows he's irrational. You try to convince everyone you're not. It's rocket science.

I am much more rational in the last couple years... old age does that.   :)

I am much more rational in the last couple years... old age does that.   :)

It's because the weather has been to your liking.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not really, you've just been blessed with extended runs of sunshine/warmth that you can't possibly complain about.

2010 and 2011 and early 2012 were just stupid in the other direction.    

Even the wet months since that time... and there have been many as 2014 was one of the wettest ever in Seattle... have featured at least some decent weather at times.    

Remember we had the wettest spring and early summer ever last year.      

I am not so much concerned about warmth... its sunny breaks and dry weather that need to be somewhat balanced and I am perfectly happy.

2010 and 2011 and early 2012 were just stupid in the other direction.    

Even the wet months since that time... and there have been many as 2014 was one of the wettest ever in Seattle... have featured at least some decent weather at times.    

Remember we had the wettest spring and early summer ever last year.      

I am not so much concerned about warmth... its sunny breaks and dry weather that need to be somewhat balanced and I am perfectly happy.

Yep, been a lucky stretch for you. Let me know how much you've changed the next time we get a January 2006 or June 2010.

• Like 1

Yep, been a lucky stretch for you. Let me know how much you've changed the next time we get a January 2006 or June 2010.

Its been very wet overall the last couple years here... above the normal even for my location.    I would gladly take a cooler and drier than normal year.

I know for a fact that another 2010 or 2011 is coming.   Also the type of spring and early summer that Jim detests.    And everyone else living here.   But I won't be complaining much on here... just have to deal with it or move.

Its been very wet overall the last couple years here... above the normal even for my location.    I would gladly take a cooler and drier than normal year.

I know for a fact that another 2010 or 2011 is coming.   Also the type of spring and early summer that Jim detests.    And everyone else living here.   But I won't be complaining much on here... just have to deal with it or move.

Oh brother...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That's what always gets me...the rainy gloomy springs, I can't stand them! 

Looks like it typical Seattle style, my last winter here will be a boring one...oh well. Heading out to NYC for a weekend in the start of March and will head up to Albany to tour SUNY. Hopefully i'll see some snow when im out there.

That's what always gets me...the rainy gloomy springs, I can't stand them! 

Looks like it typical Seattle style, my last winter here will be a boring one...oh well. Heading out to NYC for a weekend in the start of March and will head up to Albany to tour SUNY. Hopefully i'll see some snow when im out there.

You have probably witnessed the warmest December / January combo on record for this region. I'm not certain of that, but it probably was. Doesn't get much worse than that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hmm...It does appear 1939-40 and 1940-41 gave this Dec / Jan combo a run for its money. It still blows my mind we had back to back winters that were so horrible that long ago.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like there will be a bit of a pattern mixup in the mid-range, energy pouring out into the GOA seems set to dislodge the Hudson Bay vortex that was a fairly persistent feature of the past month. This looks snowy for the BC North Coast and Alaskan Panhandle. Not a lot of hope for snow on the South Coast but we may see some more dynamic weather for a change.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015020118/gfs_z500_mslp_namer_24.png

Coastal SSTs are sure toasty, could add a few extra degrees of warmth than we would normally get under SW flow.

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/washngtn.fc.gif

:huh:

What the heck did I just watch?

The last minute of that game was as much an emotional roller coaster as following a winter storm in PNW.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like there will be a bit of a pattern mixup in the mid-range, energy pouring out into the GOA seems set to dislodge the Hudson Bay vortex that was a fairly persistent feature of the past month. This looks snowy for the BC North Coast and Alaskan Panhandle. Not a lot of hope for snow on the South Coast but we may see some more dynamic weather for a change.

Coastal SSTs are sure toasty, could add a few extra degrees of warmth than we would normally get under SW flow.

We need to get rid of that stupid trough over the Pacific. Until we do those warm SST's won't go away. Obviously the closer we get to spring the less difference the warm water will make to the observed temps. I do think the warm SST's may have been responsible for higher dew points this winter which impacted the ability of surface temps to cool under clear skies.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We need to get rid of that stupid trough over the Pacific. Until we do those warm SST's won't go away. Obviously the closer we get to spring the less difference the warm water will make to the observed temps. I do think the warm SST's may have been responsible for higher dew points this winter which impacted the ability of surface temps to cool under clear skies.

That's been going on since like, late June.

That was easily one of the more inexplicable big game decisions that I've ever seen in sports. Awful play call.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I like the call. 99 times out of a 100 there that play catches the GL defense stacking and at worse falls incomplete. If they complete it, everyone would be like "wow, what a gutsy call!"

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.