2/21 - 2/22 Winter Storm Potential

Tom

12z Euro....baby steps...it looses some steam as it heads ENE and doesn't really wrap up into a mature storm.  12z NAM sorta looked like it wanted to amp up towards the end of the run.  12z GGEM the most aggressive storm, but the Euro is playing catch up now.  Nice trends in the models today. Better sampling def evident.  Tonight's runs will be interesting.

Euro has been playing catch-up most of this winter so not surprised. It still has a ways to go and probably won't reach it's full potential until about 36hrs or so out but still nice trends today on the 12z runs. The potential is definitely there for a nice wound-up storm.

• Like 1

I think there will be more of an expansive precip shield with this system.  This storm is taking on a text book Winter Strom track for the Plains/Lakes and the GOM is open for business.  Models that are playing catch up are getting stronger/wetter since yesterday.  As this storm encompasses the balloon network, I could see some bigger improvements.

I thought the teleconnections didn't support any phasing?

I am pleasantly surprised the models are phasing this system.  The downstream HP to the east is allowing this storm to dig/slow moreso than previous days.  It's not often you see a phased storm with a sky high AO/NAO.  I think the transitioning PNA is the helping factor here.

• Like 1

After reviewing all 51 members individually, there are a lot more wound up solutions that previous runs.  This baby is trending in the right direction.  I think someone is going to get clobbered.  Pretty quick hitter in this type of pattern...maybe an 8-12 hour storm if all works out.

Tom, they do not. This may be the reason for bad phasing.

Which is why anything past 72 hours (other then temp trends) is basically useless on the 6 and 18Z runs...

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.