February 4-5th Possible Major Winter Storm

Tom

00z Euro has 850's -10C or below for duration of event...would produce 20:1 ratios and fantastic LehS up this way.  You could fluff up .40qpf easily to warning type snows.  All in all, the defo band is looking very healthy and wide each run.  Again, I don't buy this system cutting into the east coast but rather up west of the Appalachians.  Tomorrow is going to be important as this storm will be riding along the Cali coastline and getting better data by Balloon Network.  It would be absolutely embarrassing if the WRF/NAM got this one right 84 hours out and beat the EURO/GFS/GGEM.

When you can could you post digital snow totals for the central plains?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Someone from American:

Models are mishandling the S/W and the northern stream and thus providing many implications on the track and strength of the storm. If you analyze the 500mb vort charts, you could pick out some errors that I think the models will correct in the coming day or two. Been a horrible season for the models. For example, the GGEM completely retrogrades the northern stream and kills it off. 

Will be interesting to see what happens when it gets fully sampled.

Winterfreak, I'm not giving up on this one.  I was referencing to the track this storm took back in Cycle 2 of the LRC.  Very similar and I think this is the storm we are seeing in Cycle 3 now.  I don't have the maps showing the system I'm thinking of back in December to show the comparison.  If it is, this storm would be riding up from deep down in TX northeast into S IL/S IN.

Looks like you're giving up on this one. Come on man lol. If the NAM holds serve it will be interesting to see which model wins out.

The Nam sucks as this distance. Within 36-42 hours,, it improves A LOT.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you followed the LRC's forecast for the Superbowl, you would know that there would be a ridge building up the east coast and temps would be above normal.  It took the models 2-3 days before the Superbowl to figure this pattern out and now they have corrected and forecasting temps near 50F.  I remember models were forecasting temps in upper 20's/low 30's just a few days back.

Same goes for this storm, it will follow the same pattern and if there is a ridge in place on the east coast, it aint cutting directly into it.

WPC says this will be a negative tilt trough.  I have always been taught negative tilt lows tend to shift further NW, so hopefully that will be the case. 

DAY 3......CNTRL PLAINS INTO THE MIDWEST...YET ANOTHER SRN STREAM UPPER TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO EMERGE FROM THESOUTHWEST INTO THE SRN PLAINS FOR TUESDAY...WITH THE TROUGHBECOMING NEGATIVELY TILTED...ENHANCING UPPER DIFLUENCE IN THECENTRAL PLAINS ACROSS THE MID MS VALLEY AND NORTHERN OH VALLEY. TWO POWERFUL UPPER JET CORES WILL BE PRESENT ACROSS SRN CANADA ANDIN ADVANCE OF THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS...FORMING A COUPLED JET REGIONFROM THE MID MS VALLEY TO THE OH VALLEY. THE GULF OF MEXICO ISAGAIN EXPECTED TO BE TAPPED...WITH THIS MOISTURE STREAMING INTOTHE COLDER AIR.  ASCENT OCCURS IN THE SWATH OF 850-700 MBWARM/MOIST ADVECTION...GENERATING WIDESPREAD/SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALLFOR THE CENTRAL PLAINS INTO THE MIDWEST AND THEN ACROSS PA ANDSOUTHERN/CENTRAL NY/SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND UNDERNEATH DIVERGENCEMAXIMA ALOFT. A WINTRY MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS ALSO LIKELY FROMNORTHERN AR ACROSS SOUTHEAST MO TO SOUTHERN IL AND SOUTHERNIN/SOUTHERN OH AND THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN WV/SOUTHWEST PA ASWARM AIR ADVECTION AT 850-700 MB RAISES TEMPS ABV FREEZING WHILESFC TEMPS ARE AT FREEZING OR COLDER.MODEL AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE ENSEMBLE MEANS WAS EXCELLENT FAVORINGA SOLUTION CLOSE TO THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET/GFS.  THE 00Z NAM WAS ANOUTLIER WITH A STRONGER CLOSED 700 MB LOW FURTHER NORTH...SO WASGIVEN THE LEAST WEIGHTING. 
  • Like 1

The 6" marker appears in Chicago at 69hrs. But the heaviest snows definitely SE of previous 3 runs. So I'd say, to an extent, NAM blinked.

18-20" readings for good chunk of N IN.

• Like 1

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

The 6" marker appears in Chicago at 69hrs. But the heaviest snows definitely SE of previous 3 runs. So I'd say, to an extent, NAM blinked.

Yup it's all downhill from here, literally lol. 12Z NAM shows 18-20 inches in northern Indiana. Pretty crazy...

I think the NAM just corrected itself from being too moist and robust this far north.  Overall the track was fairly similar, but qpf was just scaled back on the north edge.  Might have shifted a bit south overall.  Personally this is more in line with what I think will happen.  Might still be overdone on the north end.  Just my opinion.

Who's got a white flag for me? Lol. The "SE Ridge" appears like it will fail us, as will the Canadian high pressure. Likely to be 2nd straight storm that drops the most snow to our SE.

Our "snow magnet" has lost it's juice. Haha

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...