Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

East Coast and Gulf Coast Weather Observations for 2015

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

iFred

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2105 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Starting a new thread for weather observations, discussion, and news for the East Coast, Atlantic Provinces, Gulf Coat and Appalachia.

Chris

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1054 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

I'm predicting another below average hurricane season for the Atlantic.

Phil

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11971 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Roaring S winds now & booming thunder, peak gust of 54mph so far. Precip has yet to get here..
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm season 2017:
Thunderstorm days: 4
Severe days: 3
Hail: 1 (pea sized)
Wind: 2 (62mph, 58mph)
Rain total: 4.54"

weatherfan2012

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
Your location has been in good instabilty the last day or so . east of the mountains has been lock in with the wege mostly drizzle to showers with no convection.a chance more parts of the reagion get into some of the action if things break just a bit instabilty wise those these weges they can be stubborn to break down in the valleys east of the mountains this time of year.

Andie

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
Hey Phil,

You guys get all the fun. To show you how weather patterns have shifted in the US, Texas has not been seeing the usual tornados in spring in at least 5 or 6 yrs., not in North Texas. We used to be tornado central spring and late summer. No more. We don't even get the huge hail storms we used to get. Not complaining however.

So, what's the shift ? What's created this change ?
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem, First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes................. "TwcMan say's...I've got the brass...to ban...your a**." .... TWCMan, the Legend.

Chris

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1054 posts

Just had a tornado warned cell pass over..got some decent video.

Until today I'd never seen a funnel cloud up here. Crazy looking shelf w/ a semi-discernible funnel, along w/ pea sized hail and frequent ctg lightning. Gust of 47mph out of the SW.

Looks like more storms incoming. Nice early spring event ongoing.

Post the video!

weatherfan2012

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
great weather today about as perfect as it can get in april.better enjoy this round of nice spring weather models show things go down the crapter the last week into early may.as you said phil cutt off lows have been the story the last few years.

weatherfan2012

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
another round of strong thunderstorms move across the reagions this evening funnel clouds and a waterspout was reported in Calvert county around 7:30 this evening major display of lighting with these storms tonight.along with issolated hail reports.

weatherfan2012

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
crazy weather for sure looks like a crap pattern for the next week lies ahead.

Andie

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
That's just nuts Phil. Snow ?

We're dealing with old school Texas spring weather. Huge downpours, 50-70 mph winds, tornados, hail.
We've had a gorgeous spring but these storms tear a lot up, despite needing the rain.
This past winter and spring reminded me of the 50's here. Hopefully we won't see a typical hot as Hades summer.

Any idea how our summer here will fair ?

Came across an interesting article on the early spring cold.

http://www.washingto...ate-april-snow/
  • Phil likes this
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem, First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes................. "TwcMan say's...I've got the brass...to ban...your a**." .... TWCMan, the Legend.

Andie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Typical Texas spring. Nearly kills you one minute and the next day is sparking, the colors are brighter, the air extraordinary, 80*.
You'd never know you were making your peace with God not 18 hrs ago. We were lucky, nothing formed and hit the ground, but had it done so, it would have gone through a heavily populated area. Whew !

The bad news, storm season just got out of the starter gate. #_#

Phil

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Snow/Sleet mix again..winter just won't give up yet
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Warm season 2017:

Andie

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Tornados on the ground tonight, along with softball size hail, 80 mph winds reported. Always creepy to look out and see funnel clouds forming in the night sky lit up by lightning. The worst of the storms just south of me and the light show is impressive.

The storm cells are producing textbook hook echoes but Ft. Worth dodged the bullet. You could feel the barometric reassure drop. It always makes me antsy, but I'm sensitive to barometric pressure and EM energy.

This has been a classic and bumpy spring for us.

weatherfan2012

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
summer like weather this week with 80s for highs which is more normal for june then may great to see it those.

weatherfan2012

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Tornados on the ground tonight, along with softball size hail, 80 mph winds reported. Always creepy to look out and see funnel clouds forming in the night sky lit up by lightning. The worst of the storms just south of me and the light show is impressive.
The storm cells are producing textbook hook echoes but Ft. Worth dodged the bullet. You could feel the barometric reassure drop. It always makes me antsy, but I'm sensitive to barometric pressure and EM energy.
This has been a classic and bumpy spring for us.

supercell thunderstorm make for some of the most increble pictures but can be heart breaking when these storms tottly destory whole town and neaghborhoods.

weatherfan2012

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
the warm early may pattern continues with low to mid 8os the wpdo Io phil seems alot more convective in nature this late spring vers last it will be interisting to see where this all leads us as we pogress in to late spring early summer.if we do end up going toweds a modeate el nino I wonder if 2006-2007 becomes a stronger analog moving forword.

ClaireAnderson

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:57 AM

ClaireAnderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA, USA

Boy the weather patterns certainly seem to have changed a lot from the yesteryears!

• Phil likes this

Claire Anderson

http://www.weathermate.net

San Francisco, CA, USA

Phil

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Looks like heat season starts on Monday.

Warm season 2017:

Andie

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:34 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Enjoy the heat there Phil. ( still waiting for that reply ) Here, we seem to be consigned to long tern April like weather.

Our Scottish spring will turn in to a Scottish summer. The forecast is for a cooler than normal June through August. Now it doesn't mean I'll be in my winter coat, but the blast of heat we normally get will not be visiting Texas as usual. August we will likely return to some warmth.
The cause seems to be the subtropical jet that's dipping lower than usual and bringing in all this moisture. El Niño is putting on quite a show this year. So I suppose I'll be dragging out me Wellies and trimming hedges as there's no real end of this for some time. Here's a map of the forecast from weather.com

http://www.weather.c...une-july-august
  • Phil likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
the models over did the heat a few days ago it now looks more more clouds and shower and thunderstorm chances maybe keeping temps in the mid to upper 80s oppse to the 90s data showed earlyer.not complaining my air condtions is currenty broken.

Andie

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Houston received 11" of rain in 6 hrs. Serious flooding is hitting areas from Austin south. Wimberly, south of Austin, was hit with massive flooding and the Blanco River ripped and tore through forests and tore houses off their foundations. Right now 30 people are missing, 11 confirmed dead so far. All emergency services are working hard 24 hr a day.

We have more rain coming tomorrow. There is flooding and rivers way out of their banks from Oklahoma to the coast. Our average rainfall is about 34" per year. We're easily 2/3 of the way there. Others were there a week ago. If you live near a river in Texas you have problems right now. Our lake spillways are undergoing controlled releases as downstream is in so much distress. Lake Texoma on the Red River is much above normal and having to do releases as property is being threatened. The Trinity River, both east and west forks, that runs North/South is approaching the tops of the levies and outside of the cities is out of its banks.
Not good people, not good.

Andie

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
weather services are saying this is the worst flooding in Texas recorded history.

Houston images.
http://www.huffingto..._n_7442426.html

Attached File  image.jpg   38.33KB   0 downloads
Rancher rescues 31 horses.

Attached File  image.jpg   28.62KB   0 downloads
Lake Texoma Spillway on Red River @ Oklahoma border.
Usually much lower and the area at left of spillway is normally dry.
  • Chris likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
you guys went from one exstream to another last few years Texas could it even buy a rain drop now the hose won't shut off simply amazing what you're getting.

Andie

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Mets said we could see 2 more weeks of this.  It's gone from "chilly Scotland" to the Amazon Basin though.  Temps are creeping up and the weather is perfect now for tornados and large hail.  Last night I watched as a large storm system split and went around me.  Luck of the draw I guess.  The damage in the State is pretty overwhelming though and as its a big state, that's saying a lot. 

So, 2 more weeks of it, and after that they may say till the end of June.  Would not be a surprise owing to the possibility we may have a cooler than normal summer.  there's simply no where for the water to go however.  Every, pond, lake, river, or reservoir is to the bursting point and it all goes downhill to the Gulf.   I hope we do not have an active Gulf hurricane season.

Chris

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1054 posts

Had a dam scare last night.  Water started flowing over the top of an earthen dam at Padera lake, eating away at the dirt.  Its stabilized for now.

Andie

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
It's a very small Conservation Corp lake. I used to drive past it every day on the way to my plant. It is worrisome if we get a lot more water as I don't know how well its been maintained and there are about 25 or 30 homes don't stream. It's on the North side of Midlothian, Tx south of Dallas.

Oh, this is an interesting factoid........enough rain has fallen on Texas to cover all of Rhode Island in 10 feet of water. Cool huh, some NWS geek figured that out.

Andie

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:48 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
Crickey ! 2.50" between midnight and 4 am last night. More coming Saturday morning.

The NWS officially stated that Texas saw the wettest May in history. DFW measuring over 16". That's conservative as areas west where I am and north of me, have seen heavier bands of rain as they barrel in from the west. The squall line that hit us last night had a significant outflow boundary and winds went from dead calm to 40 mph in moments. This has been repeating itself for almost a month.

The good news is after this weekend it looks like we'll get 5 days of quiet weather to clean up and allow the rivers to crest.
But Texas received half, or over half of its annual rain in about three weeks. Amazing weather cycle.

Black Hole

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationBountiful, Ut 84010 ~4575ft

Too bad for me I missed it all. Looks like upper 80s and partly cloudy for my trip.

BS Atmospheric Science University of Utah May 2015

PhD Candidate Atmospheric Sciences

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:
Nov 17: 3.2", 23: 1.6", 28: 9.2" (14)

Dec 1: .5", 16: 2.5", 25: 13" (16)

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Feb 11: .5", 23: 6.5", 27: 4.5" (13.5)

Mar 5: 5.5" (5.5)

Apr 8: 2", 9: 1.8" (3.8)

May 17: 1" (1)
Total: 96.3"

Lowest Temp: 2F

Phil

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts

Too bad for me I missed it all. Looks like upper 80s and partly cloudy for my trip.

Nice, where are you heading?

Warm season 2017:

weatherfan2012

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
heavey rains and storms have been tracking across most of the reagion since last night.some spots have estsmated rains tottles of 2 to 4 inchs in the stronger storms cells that has moved across.

Andie

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
We received 19.6" of rain by the end of May. Other areas got a good deal more. This is more than half our annual rainfall.

The tap turned off just as they said June 1st. We've had sun and dry weather around 92*.

It's officially summer. We'll see if they are right about our having a cooler than normal summer.
  • Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Wow, that's a crazy amount of rain.

Just as your tap turned off, ours turned on. Last four days in the DC area have been in the 60s w/ frequent rains after a May that featured five 90-degree days and plenty of 85+ days.

Looks like the heat is coming back next week and beyond, though. Looks like a low/mid 90s pattern with high dewpoints here.

Warm season 2017:

remyweather

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:10 AM

remyweather

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIrvington, NY

Cold front today from southern Michigan through southern Missouri to S Kansas will move east today, warm front ahead of it extending N Michigan to buffalo to Plattsburgh will move with it and sweep through NYC and surrounding region later tonight - the storms should wait off until after dinner at the least before they start coming east of the Hudson River. Precipitable water in excess of 1.5-" max 2.2" on the HRRR right now for this evening, convection will increase throughout the day as instability decreases..a good amount of diabatic heating through the day as well will raise dewpoints to the mid 60's...so we have a chance for isolated t-storms but most should be west of the Hudson as the greatest Instability is there, mL CAPE 500-1000 for the most part with little pockets of 1200 in localized spots. Should be a nice squall line on the radar that will break up as it crosses the hudson, coastal areas should be OK. 

• Phil likes this

Andie

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
http://www.kxii.com/...vice=tablet&c=y

DENISON, TX-- Lake Texoma has had an historic year, reaching the highest elevation in the lake's history.

About 55,000 cubic feet of water per second is being released from Lake Texoma through two hydropower generators and the floodgates. It is a site to see, but there is something of interest on the other side of the dam.

Table of the lake level and its rapid rise.
http://www.laketexoma.com/level

.....cool picture of the intake votexes, btw.

Went up to the lakes spillway and they still have about 4 to 5 feet going over the spillway and on its way to the Mississippi River.
I have never seen the lake so flooded and we had to get there the long way as the west access was flooded. All rivers are swollen beyond imagination right now.

Oh yeah, Phil, I understood Black Hole was on his way to Abilene, Texas to see his fiancé's family. Not exactly the excitement Capitol of the State. Hope he stopped by the DFW area from the airport and had some fun.

weatherfan2012

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
big thunderstorms went through the reagion tonight heavey rains lighting thunder and some pretty strong head winds right before the heavey rains great self cloud tonight as well.
  • Phil likes this

Black Hole

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1170 posts

I've been in Abilene Texas since last Wed, taking off on Thursday. Its been sunny, humid, and hot every day...but not as bas as it can be which is nice. Looks like a meager chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow but all in all a let down from a weather perspective. Maybe next time!

--Emphasis on: Forecasting, Mountain Weather, Numerical Weather Prediction, Data Assimilation

Winter 2016/17 Snow:

Jan 2: 5", 3: 2.4", 4: 7.7", 12: 1", 19: 1.2", 21: 13", 23: 6", 24: 1", 25: 3.7", 26: 2.5" (43.5) 

Phil

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Heavy storms here this evening..1.15" of rain in ~ 30 minutes and a few gusts over 50mph. Lots of lightning too.

Looks like starting Thursday we'll be seeing the return to 95/75 type days.

Warm season 2017:

Andie

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

I've been in Abilene Texas since last Wed, taking off on Thursday. Its been sunny, humid, and hot every day...but not as bas as it can be which is nice. Looks like a meager chance of a thunderstorm tomorrow but all in all a let down from a weather perspective. Maybe next time!

BH, you missed the excitement by a week. Usually by June the real weather has hit its summer doldrums.
Try late April/early May when the warm gulf air is clashing with the NW chill. Hope you got to enjoy some other areas. Abilene isn't exactly fun central.

We're in our summer patter now. Low 90's with a 30% chance of rain.

Black Hole

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:51 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1170 posts

BH, you missed the excitement by a week. Usually by June the real weather has hit its summer doldrums.
Try late April/early May when the warm gulf air is clashing with the NW chill. Hope you got to enjoy some other areas. Abilene isn't exactly fun central.

We're in our summer patter now. Low 90's with a 30% chance of rain.

Yeah, and the funniest part is that after I leave tomorrow the chance of storms returns for Friday evening. Oh well. I'd like to come in the spring as you suggested and maybe then things will work out a little better :P

Winter 2016/17 Snow:

Andie

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
I guess you brought the hot dry weather and now you're taking it home. 97* today in DFW. After the cool spring the sudden heat is tough to manage. So what do you think of Texas ? Of course you didn't see the best part. Next time head to Hill Country. Foods great there too.
A week of heat and I'm ready for Fall. <_<

Phil

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Endless heat coming up here..already seeing 100-105 degree heat index values..can't imagine what mid-July will feel like if this pattern continues.

Warm season 2017:

iFred

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2105 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Big gust front blew through here a few days ago..52mph wind, lightning, and pea sized hail.

800.jpg

Looks impressive!

• Phil and richard mann like this

weatherfan2012

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
it will be very hot if this pattern keeps going in july.today is the start of this current hot streak.

Black Hole

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

Black Hole

Daily Contributor

• Admin
  • 1170 posts

I guess you brought the hot dry weather and now you're taking it home. 97* today in DFW. After the cool spring the sudden heat is tough to manage. So what do you think of Texas ? Of course you didn't see the best part. Next time head to Hill Country. Foods great there too.
A week of heat and I'm ready for Fall. <_<

Abilene may not be the greatest place but I like Texas a lot and the part of Abilene I was in was pretty nice. It was a country club neighborhood. I figure as long as I have pool and AC access I can tolerate the heat. Me and my fiancée would ideally like to settle somewhere in the Midwest if we can since its close to home for her and the weather is more interesting for me.

Winter 2016/17 Snow:

Phil

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts

Abilene may not be the greatest place but I like Texas a lot and the part of Abilene I was in was pretty nice. It was a country club neighborhood. I figure as long as I have pool and AC access I can tolerate the heat. Me and my fiancée would ideally like to settle somewhere in the Midwest if we can since its close to home for her and the weather is more interesting for me.

Awesome, best of luck to you. I'd argue that the Midwest has one of the most dynamic climates in the world..go for it!
  • Black Hole likes this

Warm season 2017:

Phil

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
Another 95/73 day in the DC area..heat indices are 100+ regionwide.

Storms firing over the mountains as usual, questionable as to whether they sustain beyond the Blue Ridge.

800.jpg

Warm season 2017:

Phil

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 11971 posts
So, this is ten 90+ days so far, and it's only mid-June. Typically, we don't see #10 until July, with the majority of the 90+ days occurring from July 5th to August 10th.

We average about thirty 90+ days every year..we're on track for 45-50 at this rate.

Warm season 2017:

weatherfan2012

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
the hot early to mid summer call looks to be a great call phil.

weatherfan2012

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
looks like the good old split where the storms split north and south of the citys.

weatherfan2012

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
this is hot no doubt but we have had worse I remember the 100 + days 75+lows back in the summers of 2010 2011that was flat out misable.