Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

East Coast and Gulf Coast Weather Observations for 2015

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15422 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
90/71, HI 96. Towering cumulus going up.

Now the 11th 90+ day on the year.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph

Andie

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas

Abilene may not be the greatest place but I like Texas a lot and the part of Abilene I was in was pretty nice. It was a country club neighborhood. I figure as long as I have pool and AC access I can tolerate the heat. Me and my fiancée would ideally like to settle somewhere in the Midwest if we can since its close to home for her and the weather is more interesting for me.

I suppose one advantage to Abilene is its central and you can get to anywhere relatively painlessly except for the coast. I had some fine Mexican food there last summer and my cousin teaches voice and music at Harden-Simmons Univ. once you get familiar with the State I think you'll come to love it. So much variety in terms of land and culture. Phil is right though, the Midwest has a great number of surprises in its back pocket waiting for you.
Congratulations.
  • Black Hole likes this

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

weatherfan2012

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
the one good thing is so far it has been a pretty active summer storm wise in the reagion we have had summers in past times where we could it by a shower.so it's good to see a active summer.

Chris

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1132 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

90/71, HI 96. Towering cumulus going up.

Now the 11th 90+ day on the year.

What are the Hadley Cells doing this year?  What site do you use to track those?

Phil

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts

What are the Hadley Cells doing this year? What site do you use to track those?

Best to use the NOAA ESRL site, then select velocity potential at the .1201 sigma filtering which gets you the Walker Cell anoms directly and the Hadley Cell anoms indirectly via poleward divergence.

http://www.esrl.noaa...es/printpage.pl

Here's the MAM trimonthly..classic Niño Walker Cell w/ a westward bias, Hadley Cells are smaller/stronger than 2013/2014 but still very broad/poleward globally (WPAC/IO cells are very beefy currently, aided by the MJO/med-freq tropical forcing).

xWSrYE.jpg
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Well, we hit 96/70 today, peak HI of 103. Heat feels sharper today than it did yesterday.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

walrus

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg Maryland

I just joined this forum. I normally make a daily weather post for my backyard weather station and my area around Gaithersburg Maryland. Here is a sample of what I compiled for yesterday, Monday, June 15, 2015. Please let me know if this isn't appropriate here. I can post a report like this every day. Thanks, Walrus 

Monday was cloudy in the morning from the leftovers of overnight storms that moved down from PA but without any rain left in them, then it cleared up mid-day and started to really heat up into the mid 80s, and with dew points into the mid 70s, it really was getting oppressive. But storms and showers developed by late afternoon, and I had 2 rounds of thundershowers that cooled things off back into the 70s. Brief heavy rain, a fair amount of lightning and thunder (but thankfully no power losses) but not much wind were the main characteristics of these 2 rounds of storms.  Temps have remained in the 70s through the evening and into the early morning hours of Tuesday, under partly cloudy skies now. The low temperature by sunrise Tuesday should be around 70.  Another round of party cloudy, muggy weather in the mid-upper 80s with a 50 POP for showers/storms in the mid-late afternoon and possibly continuing into the early evening hours. Lows mostly in the low 70s.  Wednesday should be dry (only day this week) with still muggy but sunny skies into the mid 80s. Clouding up Wed night, lows in the 70s once again, with a 70 POP for showers/storms, mainly after midnight. A 60 POP for showers/storms on Thursday during the day, diminishing to a 40 POP Thursday night.  Friday through Sunday should see more partly cloudy skies with a 30-40 POP for showers/storms, highs in the mid-upper 80s, lows around 70. Moisture from the remnants of now tropical storm Bill might be paying us a visit by the end of the weekend into early next week so stay tuned on that, but it won't be anything really significant as far as damaging winds or flooding rains are concerned.

The weather underground link to my station data is:
My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:
My data can also be found at:  http://www.weatherli.../user/walrusman

Monday precipitation: 0.31" (LR) 0.31" (VP2)  12.26" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1738
June total precipitation: 2.42"
2015 YTD precipitation total: 17.84"

Other data for Monday is as follows:
High temp  86.7° (1615)
Low temp   72.7° (2354)
Obs temp   72.7°   
Peak wind gust 12 WSW (1314)        
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2241) to a low of 69% (1522)                                                                                                                  
Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 71°                                                                                                                                    
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(0607) to 29.92"(1939)

At midnight obs temperature 72.7°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 72°.

Current observations at 0329 EDT - temperature of 71.6°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.94" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 71°.

Radar is showing more showers/storms out in western PA, and a few lighter showers out in western Maryland at this time. These areas of precipitation are either going to stay north mostly in PA as they are travelling mostly west to east, or in the case of the western MD showers which are weaker, will probably fizzle out before they get to my immediate area.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning

• Phil and IbrChris like this

Phil

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Welcome to the forums!

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Andie

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
Texas is about to be hit with another deluge. Beginning to feel like Noah, I need an ark.
My area in Ft. worth may see 5 or 6" of rain over the next 2 days. TS Bill will swing on up into the central Midwest then bear east toward Pennsyvania. Heavy rains will continues in to the eastern U.S.
Humidity is currently 92% at 77*. It's like swimming to walk outside. 77* in this tropical air is amazingly warm, and curiously hard to breath. We've already seen several outside bands of rain pass over us but the body of the storm is still on the coast. It should hit the DFW area around or just after midnight.
This is an interesting spring and summer.

Attached File  image.jpg   97.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   99.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   98.34KB   0 downloads
  • Black Hole likes this

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

walrus

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Tuesday was mostly sunny, quite warm and humid for most of the day. Widely scattered showers were out there this afternoon, but much less numerous than the previous few days and by the evening we were in the clear, with gradually lowering temps and dew points, early this Wednesday morning we finally went below 69 on our dew point for the first time since June 11. By sunrise time on Wednesday we should be in the mid 60s with dew points in the low 60s. Wednesday during daylight hours we should be sunny and drier for the AM hours into the mid-late afternoon, with highs in the low 80s and dew points around 60. Clouds will be on the increase in the afternoon, with an 80 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday late evening/overnight into Thursday, lows in the upper 60s.  A 60 POP for showers/storms during the day on Thursday, diminishing in intensity and coverage as the day progresses.  High temps in the mid 80s. A 40 POP for showers/storms with partly cloudy skies on Thursday night,with lows in the upper 60s.  Friday through Sunday should see partly to mostly cloudy skies, showers/storms falling at a 40 POP on Friday with highs in the mid 80s, lows in the upper 60s Friday night, becoming a 60 POP on Saturday evening/overnight as the remnants of Tropical Storm Bill may be paying us a brief visit. Then Sunday partly cloudy and quite warm and humid, highs in the lower 90s, a 40 POP for showers/storms continuing but becoming a bit less numerous with the stronger sun winning out more often than not as the remnants of TS Bill head East and out of our area.

The weather underground link to my station data is: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11  My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Tuesday precipitation: 0

June total precipitation: 2.42"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 17.84"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:

High temp  88.9° (1632)

Low temp   70.9° (0545)

Obs temp   74.0°  

Peak wind gust 18 SW (1322)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0757) to a low of 56% (1655)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 69°                                                                                                                                    Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(2256) to 29.89"(1645)

At midnight obs temperature 74.0°, Winds 1 W, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, relative humidity 86%, dew point of 69°.

Current observations at 0318 EDT - temperature of 69.8°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.04" and rising, relative humidity 89%, dew point 67°.

Radar is clear in the immediate four state region here in the Mid-Atlantic. Showers out in the Midwest are concentrated in the southern half of Illinois overlapping a bit into Missouri and Indiana. Lighter, more scattered showers are falling throughout parts of Wisconsin at this time.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

• iFred and Phil like this

Andie

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
Waves of heavy rain and wind keep sweeping over North Texas this morning. The Depression is lingering over DFW and dropping a lot of rain. 72* and 98% humidity.
Suffocating. Pressure at 29.68. Not a big storm but plenty of water to put us back into the flooding situation that was easing. The soil is super saturated and the rivers at flood stage. Bill is officially a Depression but that hasn't changed things for the better.

Radar at 9:30 am

Attached File  image.jpg   105.37KB   0 downloads
  • Chris likes this

Chris

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1132 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

Waves of heavy rain and wind keep sweeping over North Texas this morning. The Depression is lingering over DFW and dropping a lot of rain. 72* and 98% humidity.
Suffocating. Pressure at 29.68. Not a big storm but plenty of water to put us back into the flooding situation that was easing. The soil is super saturated and the rivers at flood stage. Bill is officially a Depression but that hasn't changed things for the better.

Radar at 9:30 am

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Any tornadoes? 

Andie

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
None reported in North Texas to my knowledge. Wind around 45mph. I just got some hail but not much. We received som very nice mist this afternoon, quite heavy blowing in sheets across the golf course. I think we may have received about 4" or so by now. The back side of it is rotating around us right now and there is a tail still causing a great deal of rain on the coast that no doubt will come up here. The flooding is bad again all over the state.
I read yesterday where a met stated we'd received several trillion gallons of water. I'll have to see if I can find the number. I know I was surprised.

6 hrs later. Not a great deal of movement.
Attached File  image.jpg   310.29KB   0 downloads

Found it......35 Trillion for May alone.

We have officially hit 32". Our annual rainfall before TS Bill.

NWS Ft. Worth, Tx.
How much is 35 trillion gallons? 35 trillion 1 gal. milk jugs filled with water would stretch from Earth to our Sun 34 times! #txwx
1:42 PM - 29 May 2015

Andie

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
As the eye went over my house the barometer dipped to 29.70.
I've always been sensitive to barometer drops and I felt it this afternoon.

Total rainfall today - Officially 4.25" a record for this date.
A little west where I am 4.50".
  • Phil likes this

walrus

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Wednesday was partly sunny in the morning, cooler and slightly drier,with dew points in the 60s, then warm briefly in the early afternoon to around 80, then in the 70s with mostly cloudy skies in the mid-late afternoon and then into the evening hours, where we finally started to get mostly light rain in the late evening hours. In the now early morning  hours of Thursday skies are still cloudy and damp, but most of the rain has moved on to the east with temps dropping into the upper 60s. By sunrise temps may drop into the mid 60s. A 40 POP for showers/storms during the day on Thursday with high temps in the upper 80s. A 40 POP for showers/storms with partly cloudy skies on Thursday night,with lows in the upper 60s.  Friday should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 80s with a 30 POP for showers/storms.  Saturday increases our chances for showers/storms as the day progresses, as the remnants from Tropical Storm Bill start to move into our area from the west. A 50 POP during the day (highs in the low 80s), a 70 POP in the evening/overnight (lows in the low 70s) for possibly heavy showers/storms into Sunday. A 50 POP for showers/storms on  Sunday with highs in the upper 80s with clearing late. The early part of next week looks dry, with highs in the upper 80s to around 90 and lows in the upper 60s to around 70.

The weather underground link to my station data is:http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11  My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Wednesday precipitation: 0.23" (LR) 0.17" (VP2) 1.88" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2320

June total precipitation: 2.65"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 18.07"

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:

High temp  79.8° (1416)

Low temp   66.5° (0614)

Obs temp   69.1°  

Peak wind gust 9 SW (0926)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (2354) to a low of 64% (1314)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 64°                                                                                                                            

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(1243) to 30.01"(0010)

At midnight obs temperature 69.1°, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 67°.

Current observations at 0328 EDT - temperature of 68.6°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.01" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point 68°.  So far 0.08" of rain has fallen since midnight according to the VP2 gauge.

Radar is showing the last of the rain showers has just finished coming through my area with most of the rain from earlier moving off to the east. Not much rain at all out to the west, so this rain should be ending within the hour.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

• Phil and IbrChris like this

Phil

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Hey Walrus,

I love your detail-oriented posts, please keep them coming. If you could use a non-cursive font, it'd be even better, but totally up to you either way.

Anyway, heavy downpours here last night with the WAA/warm front. Very soupy now as the cloud deck as burned off.

Currently 80/77, will probably reach 90 if the sun stays out. I've noticed once the dewpoints reached the upper-70s, it be almost debilitating at times, especially in the sun.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Major storm today..was nearly struck by lightning filming it. Will post the video later.

High was 90/73. The storm delivered a 56mph wind gust here w/ pea sized hail and big time lightning..Leesburg/IAD recorded a 64mph gust.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Some pics:

800.jpg

800.jpg

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Here's a vid of the initial dry lightning. The second bolt hit two blocks down.

Eventually grew a pair and started filming again..didn't catch the best of it but basically observed a slug of rain, small hail, and gusty winds. The earlier winds loosened a bunch of shingles on the neighbor's roof:

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

weatherfan2012

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
another batch of storms this time moved throught AA county and the bay and the eastern shore joining the party heavey rain and vild lighting with the storms.

weatherfan2012

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Some pics:800.jpg800.jpg

great pictures phil glad you were ok these summer lighting storms are no joke at times.

walrus

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thursday was partly sunny and muggy in the morning after some light rain during the overnight, mid 80s during the afternoon, after upper 60s for lows overnight, then a light thundershower in the late afternoon that cooled us into the 70s the rest of the day. In the low 70s early on this Friday morning, still muggy. Should be around 70 by sunrise and then partly cloudy, mid 80s with a 40 POP for showers/storms in the daylight hours of Friday, then partly cloudy Friday night with just a slight chance at a shower. Saturday should see partly to mostly cloudy skies, highs in the mid 80s with a 50 POP for showers/storms. Then Saturday night the remnants of Tropical Storm Bill should work into our area with a 70 POP for showers/storms, some might have heavy rain with them at times. Lows in the low 70s. A 40 POP for showers/storms, mostly in the AM hours I believe, on Sunday, with highs in the upper 80s.  Thereafter the first part of the new week should be partly cloudy, warm and humid with minimal chances at rain showers/storms, with high temps in the mid-upper 80s. Lows mostly in the upper 60s to lower 70s.

The weather underground link to my station data is:http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11  My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Thursday precipitation: 0.16" (LR) 0.10" (VP2) 1.22" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 0258

June total precipitation: 2.81"2015

YTD precipitation total: 18.23"

Other data for Thursday is as follows:

High temp  85.4° (1526)

Low temp   67.7° (0410)

Obs temp   73.6°  

Peak wind gust 18 ENE (1630)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0728) to a low of 70% (1504)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 67°                                                                                                                                    Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(0000) to 29.90"(1658)

At midnight obs temperature 73.6°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and falling, relative humidity 94%, dew point of 72°.

Current observations at 0545 EDT - temperature of 70.3°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.93" and falling, relative humidity 93%, dew point 68°.

Radar is showing the last of the rain showers dying out over the region in widely scattered locations, and the remains of the more significant rains over parts of eastern PA and northern NJ at this time, moving away from the area.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

• Phil likes this

walrus

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Weather Phil, 

Thanks for your comments. What do you mean by a non-cursive font? I am using comic sans and that is clean and not a cursive font.as far as I can tell. What non-cursive font would you like to use? I hate times roman and courier. I don't mind Tahoma or Verdana or Arial (this post is in Arial)... If those would be better let me know. Is the red color ok (my favorite color)?

I will throw/attach a picture in my report on occasion - usually during the winter when we have the occasional snowstorm...

Thanks again

Kevin

iFred

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2241 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Weather Phil, 

Thanks for your comments. What do you mean by a non-cursive font? I am using comic sans and that is clean and not a cursive font.as far as I can tell. What non-cursive font would you like to use? I hate times roman and courier. I don't mind Tahoma or Verdana or Arial (this post is in Arial)... If those would be better let me know. Is the red color ok (my favorite color)?

I will throw/attach a picture in my report on occasion - usually during the winter when we have the occasional snowstorm...

Thanks again

Kevin

Comic Sans will show up cursive fonts on iPhones.

Phil

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts

Weather Phil,

Thanks again

Kevin

Red is great, love your posts. My phone just makes comic-sans hard to read, as iFred alluded to. Still, either way is fine.

All the best,
Phil.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

walrus

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
ome sun possible early,but as the day progresses clouds will dominate as the remnants of Tropical Storm Bill arrive in our area from the west and showers/storms start to proliferate Saturday evening/overnight/Sunday morning. A flash flood watch has been issued for our area from Saturday evening to Sunday morning. Temps in the mid 80s Saturday afternoon, low 70s Saturday evening in the heavy rains at times. Sunday will still have a 70 POP for showers/storms mostly in the morning, heavy rain still possible early but Father's Day should become partly cloudy, warm and humid later, with high temps reaching the upper 80s. Sunday night partly cloudy, muggy with perhaps some fog forming due to all the moisture left over from the storms of the previous evening, lows around 70. Monday and Tuesday should be dry, partly cloudy, still muggy with highs in the mid-upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s to low 70s.. Wednesday and Thursday should be partly cloudy, warm and humid, highs in the upper 80s, lows in the low 70s, with a 30 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday and a 40 POP for showers/storms on Thursday.

Friday precipitation: 0

June total precipitation: 2.81"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 18.23"

Other data for Friday is as follows:

High temp  83.9° (1703)

Low temp   69.9° (0614)

Obs temp   73.3°  

Peak wind gust 14 WSW (0905)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0024) to a low of 62% (1748)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 68°                                                                                                                                    Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.00"(2227) to 29.92"(0425)

At midnight obs temperature 73.3°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, relative humidity 85%, dew point of 69°

Current observations at 0149 EDT - temperature of 72.0°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.99" and steady, relative humidity 89%, dew point 69°.

Radar is showing the rains for tomorrow from the T.S. Bill remnants out mostly in Indiana right now, with some in KY and TN, and an advanced area in central WV at this time. A few widely scattered showers are falling in the region, very light and not building at all.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Hot and humid, 91/75 for a heat index of 102. Severe Thunderstorm Watch up until 11pm.

Edit: 92/75, heat index of 103.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

weatherfan2012

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
impressive lighting display tonight as the line or rain bands issolated with the reaments of our former Tropica storm Bill are crossing through the region.quite impressive how Bill has remained quite well defind giving it been over land for a week.while only a weak tropical storm it certintly made it self known for the flooding and storms it produce in it track

walrus

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
.  We had a few rounds of storms/showers with the heaviest occurring around 2000-2030 or thereabouts. No severe weather here, despite the warnings posted for that particular storm. In the region there were a few doppler-indicated tornadoes on radar, with tornado warnings posted for a few counties in Virginia and around the Baltimore area. Not sure if any of these signatures were confirmed as on-ground tornados except for the one in the Fredericksburg VA area. Overnight Saturday into Sunday we continue to have occasional light showers,but mostly just the muggies as temps and dew points hang in the low 70s. Sunday at sunrise  should see temps around 70.  Both Sunday and Monday look to have partly sunny to sunny skies, humid, and warm with highs in the upper 80s and lows around 70. There is a 30 POP for showers/storms at times during the period.  On Tuesday, sunny, hot and humid with highs in the low-mid 90s, lows in the low 70s. Thereafter partly to mostly cloudy the rest of the week, and gradually cooling off from upper 80s on Wednesday with a 30 POP for showers/storms with lows around 70, to mid 80s on Thursday, low 80s on Friday and around 80 by Saturday. The chances for showers/storms increase to a 40 POP on Thursday-Saturday. Lows mostly in the mid-upper 60s.

Saturday precipitation: 1.52"(LR) 0.91" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 7.78" @ 2012

June total precipitation: 4.33"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 19.75"

Other data for Saturday is as follows:

High temp  87.8° (1655)

Low temp   69.8° (0530)

Obs temp   71.7°  

Peak wind gust 16 ENE (2011)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2256) to a low of 67% (1550)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 78° to 68°                                                                                                                                   

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(0745) to 29.76"(2353)

At midnight obs temperature 71.7°, Cloudy, Winds 4 SE, Pressure at 29.76" and falling, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 71°.

Current observations at 0450 EDT - Cloudy, light rain, temperature of 71.6°, Winds 1 WSW, pressure at 29.73" and falling, relative humidity 98%, dew point 71°.  Precipitation that has fallen since midnight 0.10" (VP2)

Radar is showing we are having light rains presently in our immediate area and surrounding territory to the north and south from the "Back side" of the T.S.Bill remnant LOW. It still has a nice circulation and we are on the western edge now. We should clear out in the next few hours as the storm moves off to the east.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Phil

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
High of 92/72, for a heat index of 100.

Tuesday could be our first 100+ day of the year.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

walrus

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
gy skies with temps very slowly dropping through the upper to mid 70s at the present time. Probably won't be any lower than the low 70s by sunrise Monday. A dry front passed through this evening, and dew points dropped slightly, just under 70, and should give us a slightly drier Monday than it was on Sunday but still with high temps hot into the low 90s, lows around 70. Tuesday looks to be hotter, with highs in the mid 90s, and more humid, lows Tuesday night in the low 70s with a 30 POP for showers/storms.  Wednesday should start a gradual cool down with highs in the upper 80s, lows in the upper 60s, then with a 40-50 POP for showers and storms Wednesday afternoon into the weekend through Sunday. Lows mostly in the  60s, highs on Thursday in the mid 80s, then low 80s for highs on Friday through the weekend. Continued 40-50 POPs for showers/storms through the weekend under partly to mostly cloudy skies. 

The weather underground link to my station data is:http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11  My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)My data can also be found at:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Sunday precipitation: 0.18"(LR) 0.14" (VP2)

2-day storm total precipation: 1.70" (LR)

June total precipitation: 4.51"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 19.93"

Other data for Sunday is as follows:

High temp  90.8° (1819)

Low temp   71.4° (0530)

Obs temp   78.4°   

Peak wind gust 17 WSW (0920)        

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0150) to a low of 52% (1814)                                                                                                       Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 68°                                                                                                                                  

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(2359) to 29.72"(0322)

At midnight obs temperature 78.9°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and rising, relative humidity 72%, dew point of 69°.

Current observations at 0142 EDT - temperature of 75.4°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.92" and rising, relative humidity 80%, dew point 69°.

Radar is showing one small shower area over central KY, and a few light showers over parts of Northern New England at this time. Remnants of Bill have moved east into the Atlantic Ocean and are diminishing in strength.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

• iFred likes this

iFred

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2241 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Thanks Kevin for the updates! If you have any friends that are into the weather or from the East Coast, please have them post here as well!

walrus

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
ont moving north as a warm front, setting us up for a really hot Tuesday (mid 90s) with dew points into the 70s, adding more fuel to the fire for a potentially major thunderstorm outbreak mid-late Tuesday afternoon (60 POP - gusty winds, small hail possible) into the evening (70 POP - once again gusty winds, small hail).  Lows overnight Tuesday into the upper 60s. Wednesday highs in the upper 80s with sunny skies and less humidity, lows in the upper 60s. Thursday should see highs in the mid 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms. Lows in the mid-upper 60s. Friday more showers/storms (50 POP) with highs in the low 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Over the weekend, showers probable (60 POP on Saturday, 40 POP on Sunday) cloudy skies otherwise, high temps in the upper 70s both days, lows in the mid 60s to give us a bit of a break from the so far hot summer temps..The new week appears like it will start relatively cool and sunny with highs in the low 80s.

The weather underground link to my station data is:http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11

My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&tz=0) My data can also be found at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Monday precipitation: 0

June total precipitation: 4.51"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 19.93"

Other data for Monday is as follows:

High temp  88.9° (1628)

Low temp   69.7° (0630)

Obs temp   77.0°   

Peak wind gust 10 SW (1501)        

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0657) to a low of 49% (1608)                                                                                                                  

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 66°                                                                                                                                    

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(1005) to 29.90"(0001)

At midnight obs temperature 77.0°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, relative humidity 80%, dew point of 70°.

Current observations at 0310 EDT - temperature of 74.6°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.95" and falling, relative humidity 86%, dew point 70°.

Radar is showing a line of showers/storms over Lakes Ontario and Erie along with associated areas in NY, Ont, OH, MI, then heading on that bearing WSW through parts of Indiana and Illinois at this time.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning. 

Phil

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:49 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
SPC has us under an "enhanced risk" for severe storms, 15hail/30wind/5tornado. Let's see if we can get adequate coverage.

Looks like plenty of instability with highs in the mid/upper 90s.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

weatherfan2012

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
severe thunderstorm watch in effect until 11 nice line of storms droping south out of pa and wv.

Phil

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
96/76 here for a heat index of 110. This is my station on high mode, so it shows all the maximum values in all parameters.

800.jpg

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Heavy storm blew through today. Winds gusted to 64mph on a nearby mesonet station in Damascus. Beautiful sunset followed the storms..Thursday could be another major day.

Sunset picture below..I have some storm pics that I'll upload later:

800.jpg
  • Black Hole likes this

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

weatherfan2012

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
big line of thunderstorms rocked manys parts of the reagion after the very hot day.Baltimore wbal and facebook forecaster Tony Pan stated the biggest and worse hail storm he has ever witness personally living in Baltimore County Maryland where baseball size hail was reported and collected and also golf ball and ping pown size reports as well.

weatherfan2012

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Heavy storm blew through today. Winds gusted to 64mph on a nearby mesonet station in Damascus. Beautiful sunset followed the storms..Thursday could be another major day.

Sunset picture below..I have some storm pics that I'll upload later:

800.jpg

that was a top 5 sunset this evening for sure.Baltimore county really got hit hard by those storms Tony stated it was the biggest hail he has witness living in baltimore county.he had impressive pictures.

Phil

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Awesome. Yeah, didn't get baseball sized hail here, but got plenty of wind and rain. Apparently N/NW of the Baltimore metro area saw saw softball sized hail.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

walrus

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
sylvania.  The storms struck in the early evening, betwen about 1800 and 1900, with very heavy rain, brief strong winds, plenty of lightning and thunder, and cooling temps as the temp dropped from 93 at 5 PM to 72 at 7 PM. Temps remained in the low 70s the rest of the evening, and early on this Wednesday morning temps have dropped into the upper 60s, with dew points also dropping into the 60s as we dry out and cool off for the rest of the week.  There was a severe thunderstorm watch posted for most of the day, a flash flood watch then warning during and after the storm at selected locations, and also some severe thunderstorm warnings posted also. Temps should fall into the mid 60s by sunrise on Wednesday. Wednesday during the day should be sunny and nice, high temps in the low 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Thursday partly to mostly cloudy, briefly warmer with highs in the upper 80s, and a 30 POP for showers/storms.  Thereafter through the weekend we should work down on the temperatures from the low 80s on Friday into the low-mid 70s over the weekend.  Showers will be falling each day at roughly 40-70 POP (70 POP on Saturday mostly). Lows in the mid 60s.  Cloudy skies should prevail over the weekend. Partly cloudy and dry on Monday with highs in the upper 70s.

The weather underground link to my station data is:http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDGAITH11  My CWOP link (CWOP ID DW4566 - one web address to see my real-time data there is:http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566&last=24&...)My data can also be found at:  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/walrusman

Tuesday precipitation: 1.43" (LR) 1.82"(VP2- no idea why more fell into the VP2 this time)

Max rain rate 26.18"/hour at 1809 - Amazing rate!

June total precipitation: 5.94"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 21.36"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:

High temp  93.1° (1700 - hottest reading of the season so far)

Low temp   70.5° (2359)

Obs temp   70.5°   

Peak wind gust 20 WSW (1833)        

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2035) to a low of 56% (1749)                                                                                                       Dew point temperatures ranged from 78° to 69°                                                                                                                                    

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.97"(0018) to 29.77"(1742)

At midnight obs temperature 70.5°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, relative humidity 97%, dew point of 70°.

Current observations at 0327 EDT - temperature of 66.6°, Winds Calm, pressure at 29.97" and rising, relative humidity 97%, dew point 66°.

Radar is showing our Tuesday night heavy action has moved south over the SE VA coast but mostly offshore down there.  There is also an area of showers over central TN and the northern parts of the states south of TN (GA/AL/MS)

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Grapefruit sized hail in MD is pretty rare, but it happened!

http://www.weather.g...events_20150623

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Phil

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Those high winds bent and ripped the heavy steel awning off my neighbors roof. The closest mesonet station measured 64mph as the peak gust, but it wouldn't surprise me if these winds were in the 70-80mph range. I haven't felt my house shake like that since the 2012 derechos, which were in the 80-100mph range.

800.jpg

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

walrus

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

walrus

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
for showers and storms in the afternoon and evening associated with the warm front first then later on with a cold front.  Possibilities exist for more severe weather with these storms. High temps should be in the muggy mid 80s. There is a 60 POP for precipitation in the afternoon, and a 70 POP in the evening. Friday should be cooler, with high temps around 80 and a 30 POP for showers,and remaining mostly cloudy. A rain system will be coming in late Friday evening, and will affect all day Saturday with high temps only in the low 70s and lows in the low 60s and an 80 POP for rain showers all day and evening on Saturday.  Sunday should show gradual improvement with highs in the mid 70s with partly cloudy skies in the afternoon and evening.  Partly cloudy on Monday with highs around 80, lows in the low 60s. The rest of the week should turn warmer and more humid, with increasing chances for rain.

Wednesday precipitation: 0

June total precipitation: 5.94"

2015 YTD precipitation total: 21.36"

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:

High temp  83.2° (1821)

Low temp  62.8° (0619)

Obs temp  68.2°  

Peak wind gust 12 WSW (1653)       

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0137) to a low of 44% (1811)                                                                                                                 

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 58°                                                                                                                                   

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(2356) to 29.95"(0222)

At midnight obs temperature 68.2°, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and steady, relative humidity 79%, dew point of 61°.

Current observations at 0307 EDT - temperature of 64.3°, Winds Calm, pressure at 30.06" and falling, relative humidity 88%, dew point 61°.

Radar is showing our Thursday storms in what looks like a MCCS cluster type of area over Iowa and Illinois at this time, heading east.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Holy moly @ the 00z NAM for Saturday..that would be a major severe weather outbreak throughout most of the region.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

weatherfan2012

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
i was impressed we pulled off those strong stroms this evening as well they blew up pretty strongly in A.A county rained buckits.

Phil

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
Yeah we had gusty winds and heavy rain..wasn't expecting it either.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F

Andie

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
I've been amazed that we've reached the longest day in the year and not seen any temps above 95 in my area. Usually we're sweating and melting by now. Can still happen, but it's been a relatively cool June and quite wet. Already hit our annual rainfall. They're still doing controlled releases from the lakes which are still too high for folks to get on as there is debris just under the lake surface.
  • Phil likes this

weatherfan2012

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
this is like a late winter or early spring set up where we have a primary low to the west and north and a seacondary low to the south very untipical of a late june set up today.

Phil

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15422 posts
We might not destabilize in time to get big storms going..we'll see. We're still north of the warm front here in Germantown, so we'll need to see how far north the warm sector can travel. Pouring rain off and on all day so far.

Currently 68/68 with fog and moderate rain..breezy too with SE winds at 22mph, gusting to 34mph. Low clouds are racing from ESE to WNW.

Cold season 2017/18:
Coldest High 67*F