Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Consecutive Earthquakes in Nepal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ClaireAnderson

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

ClaireAnderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA, USA

Guys is it really the Global Warming and the subsequent climate change responsible for the quakes? Or they are totally natural?

Claire Anderson

http://www.weathermate.net

San Francisco, CA, USA

Chris

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1107 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

Guys is it really the Global Warming and the subsequent climate change responsible for the quakes? Or they are totally natural?

Independent events.  I've heard a theory that more water in the oceans would mean more weight on the tectonic plates, but it has no scientific acceptance.

ClaireAnderson

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:43 AM

ClaireAnderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA, USA

Well the theory looks quite interesting to me. In fact I was reading somewhere that It’s the ebb and flow of rainwater in the great river deltas of India and Bangladesh, and the pressure that puts on the grinding plates that make up the surface of the planet. They say this pressure is sufficient to trigger quakes.

Claire Anderson

http://www.weathermate.net

San Francisco, CA, USA

Andie

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
Generally unrelated.
Heavy rainfall has been thought to lubricate faults and encourage slips where stress may exist but quakes are not affected by climate in my opinion. If you want to equate rainfall and climate change then I suppose that argument could be made. Now, quakes are associated consistently with volcanic activity, and gases from volcanoes, SO2, does create a cooling affect as in the Krakatoa event in the early 1800's or the recent eruptions in Iceland.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.