Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

BBC drops the Met Office for forecasting.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

iFred

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2197 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.
Sounds like the BBC will be dropping the Met Office in favor of a foreign 3rd party for day-to-day forecasts. The BBC hasn't used a different provider of meteorological services in 93 years. This would be akin to ABC dropping NOAA as a provider of news forecasts.

http://www.theguardi...asting-contract

Andie

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in North Texas
Well, they're stating it was due to a contractual requirement to put it out for bid. And they make a valid point when they question a foreign services ability to predict the very changeable British weather. Having lived there briefly it can indeed change on a dime and reminds me of Texas weather. No one here trusts anyone but a local expert on our weather as few know how a massive cold front can suddenly turn north just south of Wichita Falls at certain times of the year. I know exactly where the rain will turn to snow to the Highway exit in the county just west of me. A weather service on the east or west coast won't get it.
So, it remains to be seen if a different service can dig into the weeds and provide accurate local forecasts.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.