September 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Facts is facts. Not trying to be a contrarian (this time), but with all this warmth talk today, it's interesting to note that SEA is in the midst of a somewhat unusual cool streak - for highs, at least.

But lows are all that really matter, obviously.

They'll certainly be due for some warmth right soon.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Alls I know is that if the weather dares to drop even a little below average for a couple weeks during ball season, we have to pay for it with at least a year or two of record breaking warmth.

Rain outs are all the kids care about.  Believe it or not, very few people really care what the temperature is outside unless it's really, really hot or really, really cold. 

Rain outs are all the kids care about.  Believe it or not, very few people really care what the temperature is outside unless it's really, really hot or really, really cold. 

You mean there are people out there who don't get wrapped-around-the-axle endlessly about the temperature of the air at the Portland airport and how that compares to the relatively short historical record since the European settlers arrived??   What do they do with their time?   What do they worry about?   Their kids' health and well-being??   Come on.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You mean there are people out there who don't get wrapped-around-the-axle endlessly about the temperature of the air at the Portland airport and how that compares to the relatively short historical record since the European settlers arrived?? What do they do with their time? What do they worry about? Their kids' health and well-being?? Come on.

Irony called and wants its best example of itself ever back.

Irony called and wants its best example of itself ever back.

You are becoming too predictable.   I was actually trying to guess your response and I was pretty close.    And the shoe fits very well in both cases.    :)     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You are becoming too predictable. I was actually trying to guess your response and I was pretty close. And the shoe fits very well in both cases. :)

Becoming? If there is one immutable truth, after almost 10 years we all do predictability really ******* well.

You're right.

All this time we fret about things like statistics or data, when we could be enjoying healthy and sane weather. I will be putting those who spend too much time writing their mental prognosis into Mod Preview so they can enjoy what little summer ridging we have left, as this summer has been horridly wet in North Bend, which is where most people live.

Just reporting what is happening.   It was very dry and now its abnormally wet!   In Seattle as well.   :)

**Historic cool spell in progress**

Low of 63 at PDX this morning. #53 for the year. We are even racking them up during this record breaking cold stretch!

*#52* Slow down turbo. PDX is already down to 60º tonight with the cold front still yet to pass through.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

00Z Canadian says the 00Z GFS is wrong for next week.   12Z ECMWF agreed.   

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_216_0000.gif

00Z ECMWF looks very different for next week... sort of a strange pattern.    

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!216!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015090200!!chart.gif

A little bit of light rain overnight and a some scattered showers this morning. Nice to see. My shaded front lawn is beginning to green up a bit already.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12Z GFS looks great for next week.    

A little iffy for the holiday weekend though.

Already at 1.25 inches of rain for the month on the morning of the 2nd... and over 4 inches since Saturday.    

Just a couple pics from the windstorm, this is what I came home to the day after. I have other pics but they are apparently too big to upload.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

My second most favorite month of the year!  Right behind October.

Third for me. In line with the advent at the equinox of decreasing light more generally, the potential for new and fresh cold to begin showing up at all. Second more October, more so essentially. And then most favorite for myself November, with the stronger chance and potential for snow north of the Oregon / California border.

I guess I'm alone in my love for limited light and low sun angles.

Certainly an understandable appreciation. 

With me it's more, low moon angles, with the main light from the sun shining on it decreasing.

---