Request basic equipment recommendations

cogreg

I am asking for advice on a relatively inexpensive recording thermometer. It need not be high-tech, computer-data generating type of thing, although if the price is reasonable, I'm not against high tech.

I look forward to reading your advice. Thank you.

I agree, and most do, with what iFred said but I will expand. If you want a good weather station with many variables Davis is the way to go, anything else is a waste of money, period. In most cases the stuff you get from Lacrosse or Oregon Scientific is simply not very accurate.

If you want just temperature I think other brands are ok and even smart. You can also get a good rain gauge for 40-50 bucks and that's fine. If you want wind I would again say go with Davis.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

[...]

If you want just temperature I think other brands are ok and even smart. You can also get a good rain gauge for 40-50 bucks and that's fine. If you want wind I would again say go with Davis.

I'm utterly unfamiliar with weather equipment. What other reasonably-priced brands can you suggest?

Yes, just temperature is fine.

I don't need electronic either. I'm simply new to the continental interior and interested in finding out how cold or warm it gets in our little micro-climate here. (I suspect that the nearest "official" temperatures are usually a bit warmer in winter than right here, and cooler in summer.)

Thank you.

I'm utterly unfamiliar with weather equipment. What other reasonably-priced brands can you suggest?

Yes, just temperature is fine.

I don't need electronic either. I'm simply new to the continental interior and interested in finding out how cold or warm it gets in our little micro-climate here. (I suspect that the nearest "official" temperatures are usually a bit warmer in winter than right here, and cooler in summer.)

Thank you.

Digital is generally more accurate and trust me, worth having to avoid going outside in the bitter cold in the winter, or at night. 

Anyway something like this will be just fine if all you want is temperature:

http://store.oregonscientific.com/us/thermometer-with-led-ice-alert-weather-100-in-silver.html

If you want to add precip this would work:

http://store.oregonscientific.com/us/wireless-rain-gauge-with-outdoor-temperature-and-10-day-memory.html

Then you can look at davis here:

http://www.ambientweather.com/west3.html

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

If you're ordering from Davis, be sure to ask for the SHT15 temp/humidity sensor as opposed to the SHT11 sensor. It's more accurate, particularly under more extreme conditions.

• Like 1

If you're ordering from Davis, be sure to ask for the SHT15 temp/humidity sensor as opposed to the SHT11 sensor. It's more accurate, particularly under more extreme conditions.

Is the SHT11 standard? Does the other cost more?

Oh, one other thing for the choice of station. A 20 dollar thermometer like I linked above is definitely less accurate than the Davis, but obviously at 1/20 the cost that is fine if you aren't super picky about precision.

• Like 1

Is the SHT11 standard? Does the other cost more?

Oh, one other thing for the choice of station. A 20 dollar thermometer like I linked above is definitely less accurate than the Davis, but obviously at 1/20 the cost that is fine if you aren't super picky about precision.

The SHT11 was standard as of last winter but Davis might have upgraded since then, I'm not sure. I ordered my SHT15 belatedly and installed it in place of the SHT11.

I'm personally saving up for a Lufft WS700 ultrasonic station. Total beast of a system.

The SHT11 was standard as of last winter but Davis might have upgraded since then, I'm not sure. I ordered my SHT15 belatedly and installed it in place of the SHT11.

I'm personally saving up for a Lufft WS700 ultrasonic station. Total beast of a system.

Interesting, I will have to look into that then. I think what I really need to do is just get the fan aspirator.  

How much does it cost?