East/Gulf Coast Weather 2017

Phil

Torchy this morning. Low/mid 60s at sunrise with humidity close to 100%. The swamp is stirring..but temperatures will drop back down to ~ 10*F tomorrow night.

Cold front blasts through tonight and plunges temps something like 25 degrees within an hour. Could mix or change to snow given the anafrontal components, not to mention possible damaging wind gusts if any frontal convection roots to the surface boundary layer..

Severe thunderstorm warnings on top of winter weather advisories. Fun times..hopefully active winters are making a comeback.

6dkVWnn.jpg

Driving back from Austin to Abilene was tricky yesterday with lots of wind. I had a period of light snow too.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Warm downpours with gusty winds this evening

Awaiting the cold front. The live streaming webcam from Snowshoe was hilarious..wind and water flying everywhere, people running for their lives, etc. :lol:

• Like 1

I have snow, sleet, rain, and thunderstorms in my zone forecast tonight, and more single digit lows/subzero wind chills in the following days. Haven’t seen the former (snow and thunderstorms on the same night) since April 2016.

wUFovOl.png

The entire household is awake. Lol. It’s subsided to some extent, but that 30 minute burst was legit.

• Like 1

Looks like a swath of snow/sleet moving in from the south with the upper level vort. Could see some brief flizzard conditions this morning if trends continue..

Got down to a chilly 25 degrees in Bastrop Tex. Currently 39 and sunny with light NE winds

Last night I went out for a bit and admired the stars for a while. Very little light pollution here. Not like back home in Federal W Wa.

Back to the PNW tomorrow

I do return again in March.....will I get some Thunderstorm possibilities then and my wife wants to know what the temps usually are about that time?

Jim

• Like 1

Got down to a chilly 25 degrees in Bastrop Tex. Currently 39 and sunny with light NE winds

Last night I went out for a bit and admired the stars for a while. Very little light pollution here. Not like back home in Federal W Wa.

Back to the PNW tomorrow

I do return again in March.....will I get some Thunderstorm possibilities then and my wife wants to know what the temps usually are about that time?

Jim

March is by far the nicest month in TX temperature wise. Thunderstorms are possible then too.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The dewpoint has dropped about 53*F in 18hrs.

That’s pretty legit, even for this place. Largest single day dewpoint drop since 2014/15, IIRC?

• Like 1

Back in Philly. Looks like the upcoming Miller is already falling apart. Looks like 7-10 days for a thaw and then who knows for the first part of Feb.

The upcoming Miller [nothing]. Lol, that’s exactly they way it’s trended as of late.

The upcoming Miller [nothing]. Lol, that’s exactly they way it’s trended as of late.

we actually do better with an active west coast storm pattern then when the Pacific jet is weak weak Pacific jet tend to suck for big storms.just a lot of this light nuances stuff.I also am puzzled why DT is so excited for February not saying a ssw event won`t happen but modeling this winter has been less then great it's hard to be certain of it at the moment the mean trend since 2013 would argure against one it will break at some point just not sure if it's this winter lol.but maybe we can pull one out as some of the data is suggesting I'm more conferdent in a snow storm in March as it seems to be the trend the last few years.the last time we had a warning level event region wide was the blizzard in January 2016 that's a pretty crappy pattern in a storm since.

we actually do better with an active west coast storm pattern then when the Pacific jet is weak weak Pacific jet tend to suck for big storms.just a lot of this light nuances stuff.I also am puzzled why DT is so excited for February not saying a ssw event won`t happen but modeling this winter has been less then great it's hard to be certain of it at the moment the mean trend since 2013 would argure against one it will break at some point just not sure if it's this winter lol.but maybe we can pull one out as some of the data is suggesting I'm more conferdent in a snow storm in March as it seems to be the trend the last few years.the last time we had a warning level event region wide was the blizzard in January 2016 that's a pretty crappy pattern in a storm since.

Yeah, lots of cold pixie dustings and clippers in this type of pattern, but no big daddys without a Pacific Jet.

Light pixie dust snow falling here. Very isolated area..must be warm advection or something.

r1V6KRP.png

Mother in law just sent me this picture. That’s a chilly! Otherwise she reported frozen grass. Sounds like the streets are retaining some of the heat from yesterday so ice having issues trying to bond.

When I was down there I got her cool weather machine back on line but still having some issues with pressure reading and dew point. Might need to clean the main sensors or order her some new parts. Still love the display of this machine. It’s loud and clear

Oops, better clarify this is Bastrop Tex

Jim

3ABC420A-8834-4EF2-8EA2-4519AAC5F185.jpeg

• Like 1

Winter weather advisory out for tonight. I’d be happy with an inch of fluff at this point. Anything to get my snowfall total into double digits.

• Like 1

Sleet, ice and now she said it just started snowing a bit

Bastrop Tex

Jim

Fire ants will be unhappy

Screw the fire ants. I've been fighting the buggers all year. Lol. Hope they all freeze and die !

We missed the ice and snow. But it's cold. 25* high, tonight it'll drop to 14*.

Well and truly cold for Texas. :)

I laughed at the mega-hurricane like store runs. Really?

I mean people need to have a solid week or two in their pantry.

They acted like a 24 hr storm was Blizzard.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Winter weather advisory out for tonight. I’d be happy with an inch of fluff at this point. Anything to get my snowfall total into double digits.

talk about nickel and diming are way to it this winter lol what's funny is the beachs have way more snow then places like Carroll and Fredrick country's do normally it's the oppersite.

Tiny flakes falling, breezy from the NW (that’s always a bad sign..dry advection and downsloping).

More of a steady light snow now..wind has died now so that’s good. Still expecting something miniscule from this thing, at best, but would love to be proven wrong.

Light snow still falling, with periods of blowing snow at as gusts are beginning to increase again.

Got lucky under a nice mesoscale band this morning and wound up with just under 1”. More than I was expecting.

Temp hovering in the low 20s all day with cloudy skies and occasional bouts of blowing snow under 30mph winds.

Perfect winter day. Not too cold. Not too warm. Not too windy. Just right. ☃️

• Like 1

I had a sloppy inch north of Philly.

Sucks to have decent cold (finally) but no real storminess to speak of.

Watching late February and March for a last minute blizzard blitz.

We hit 13* last night.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Early February leaves the door open to a patent change again. Some fun members showing up in today’s ensemble runs that give me hope for Feb.

I suspect winter returns during the middle of February and lasts into the first half of March.

High winds and dry conditions brought a 2000 acre wildfire a few miles from me today.

It was driven by high winds 30-35 moh, higher gusts.

Fortunately only ranchland was affected but it can very close to houses and a school.

2 other smaller fires were stopped further west.

10 yrs ago this month a similar fire came to within 1/8 of a mile from my house. It was stopped by golfcourse sprinklers.

It's wildfire season in Texas!

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parker-County-Grass-Fire-Prompts-Evacuations-Burns-200-Acres-470559373.html

So.....when will North Texas see some rain !??

IMG_2960.JPG

• Like 1

We can't even do rain right here this winter let alone snow the beachs got over an inch of rain which makes since as they are Jack potting this winter while we got a wropping .03 inches it really comical this winter.it like we have a vaporizer on top of us or something anymore.

Where are you located? 

I know in Texas, we are really needing a good period of rain.

I'm worried about spring.