Will A Major El Nino Spell Doom For Next Winter In The NW?

I forgot to mention that I have seen some studies (not sure if they are published at this time) that indicate that there is a 6 to 8 month lag time between the peak Nino 3.5 temps and the atmospheric response along the west coast. This would account for the warmer mid-late winter periods in the NW during El Nino years and the best chance for mid to late winter rains in the south and SW as a strong Aleutian low develops in the mean and the jet axis shifts down into the sw. (The active area of the jet can be se of southern CA though .. leaving them still in the dry - hence the bimodal impact of El Nino on southern CA rainfall).

Are you thinking that the jet will be SE of Socal in this possible El Nino, and how far to the SE and where if that is the case? 

What exactly do you mean by the bimodal impact, and what two modes are there? I am just curious, and do realize that some El Ninos are wet for Socal, while others aren't. For example 2006-07 was a moderate El Nino, but Los Angeles had its driest year on record, and I am wondering why it was so dry at that time.

That warm, convective basin in the Western Pacific is actually pushing east… saw a lapse of Jan. 1 '14 all the way to today, and it pushed east. It seems like that pool is on the move, and by summer it should arrive on its spot within the El Niño 3.4 and 3.5.

The CPC discussion contains two forecasts for Enso later this year - one from IRI and the other from the CFS-2 http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf . Really like the forecast for a weak to moderate El Nino peaking late summer or early fall given the total heat content of the Pac (moderate) and the gradual transfer of energy eastward in the Kelvin waves.  We have to have one sooner or later...we are in the zone to get one-especially with the look of the Kelvin wave activity in the Pacific, the rather significant westerly wind bursts, and the gradual basin wide warming.   If the models are correct (remember the spring barrier mentioned above), It looks to me that this year in the NW could be similar to what we saw in 2006 or 2009 (not the big one of 97-98). Speculation on my part would be (a normal to warmer than normal and normally dry summer, an active start to fall in late Oct-right after Thanksgiving, with maybe some local PSCZ zone (marginal and not widespread) snow and good mountain snow early, then a very mild and boring mid winter period from the first or second week of Dec thru the first half of Feb or longer).  I give this forecast based on what happened during the weak to moderate El Nino s we saw in 06 and 09. This accounts for the -PDO we are likely in. A mild, cloudy, drizzly winter with high snow levels and a continuous stream of splitting fronts with ridging somewhere in the NW.  

Interesting things to talk about in an El Nino in the NW...big waves on the coast (some of the biggest are swell from decaying systems as they split on the west coast), not a lot of snow below 3500 to 4000 ft in the mtns, and if I remember correctly - some nice 50+ weather days in the mid winter with low power bills!  (Glass half full --- huh!) 

Seems like a strange forecast in that case. December 2009 was one of Portland's coldest on record. The entire month was pretty fun (although granted the rest of the winter was very bland) The winter of 2006-07 was extremely active throughout, with a late-November arctic blast, a major windstorm in mid-December, and then a chilly, active January with another arctic blast and lowland snow.

It's always amazed me how your run of the mill forum dwelling weather geek can have a better memory for this stuff than an actual NWS employee.

Are you thinking that the jet will be SE of Socal in this possible El Nino, and how far to the SE and where if that is the case? 

What exactly do you mean by the bimodal impact, and what two modes are there? I am just curious, and do realize that some El Ninos are wet for Socal, while others aren't. For example 2006-07 was a moderate El Nino, but Los Angeles had its driest year on record, and I am wondering why it was so dry at that time.

California is going to dry up and blow away within five years. Deal with it.

The subsurface "warmth" is a product of downwelling/westerly momentum..and in reality, those "warm" subsurface waters are significantly *colder* than the SSTs. Subsurface waters upwell to the surface on the trailing portion of kelvin waves..and will show up as "cold" SSTs..despite having been warmer than average at depth.

I don't know why so much attention is paid to the subsurface..it is irrelevant as this stage. People see warm subsurface anomalies and think there's a mass of hot water itching to hit the surface..

Variations in subsurface temperatures are forced by surface winds/large scale circulation. Westerly wind bursts (WWBs) force Kelvin Waves, and they can be predicted well in advance when using the proper forecasting methods. There has been a great outpouring of research into Solar and the QBO as governors to the dominant tropical circulation/MJO bias over 10-30 month intervals. Some of the newer peer reviewed research has successfully predicted ENSO out 2-3 years with these methods. Soon it will be realized that ENSO is externally forced by the Sun, and QBO/SAO. This is why our dynamic modeling of ENSO is so piss-poor. When statistical modeling stomps dynamical modeling on a regular basis, you know that you have your governing physics wrong. Statistical models only work when there is at least a minor, semi-predictable harmonic to ENSO behavior..suggesting that the forcing(s) are also harmonic in nature..aka specific, not chaotic and internal to the system..

Here's a great animation depicting a resonant forcing..in this case, we're looking at the QBO from 1960-1999:

http://sandrolubis.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/qbo.gif

Notice the angular momentum shifts in the extratropics/mid latitudes as the QBO collapses and changes phase...also notice how the QBO tends to govern the upper level PVs and some tendencies in the Rossby wave train..

For the folks in CA, Ninos are fickle. They can be wet -- or not.

Often time it depends on the type of El Niño:

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frcgc/research/d1/iod/enmodoki_home_s.html.en

El Niño Modoki, aka the "half-way" Niño, is often times not very friendly.

For those not interested in analyzing the stratosphere/mesosphere/solar forcings to find the precursor, I strongly recommend this paper...a bit dated, but very valid: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2008JCLI2691.1

Yeah, I meant some are wet and some are dry...

Seems like a strange forecast in that case. December 2009 was one of Portland's coldest on record. The entire month was pretty fun (although granted the rest of the winter was very bland) The winter of 2006-07 was extremely active throughout, with a late-November arctic blast, a major windstorm in mid-December, and then a chilly, active January with another arctic blast and lowland snow.

It's always amazed me how your run of the mill forum dwelling weather geek can have a better memory for this stuff than an actual NWS employee.

Dec can be on the edge.  09 cold and dry that just went mild.  Early arctics are not out of the question with an El Nino.  Jan 2010 had no arctic in Seattle... http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=sew .  Nor did Feb.  So, was the last comment necessary??? 

The subsurface "warmth" is a product of downwelling/westerly momentum..and in reality, those "warm" subsurface waters are significantly *colder* than the SSTs. Subsurface waters upwell to the surface on the trailing portion of kelvin waves..and will show up as "cold" SSTs..despite having been warmer than average at depth.

I don't know why so much attention is paid to the subsurface..it is irrelevant as this stage. People see warm subsurface anomalies and think there's a mass of hot water itching to hit the surface..

Variations in subsurface temperatures are forced by surface winds/large scale circulation. Westerly wind bursts (WWBs) force Kelvin Waves, and they can be predicted well in advance when using the proper forecasting methods. There has been a great outpouring of research into Solar and the QBO as governors to the dominant tropical circulation/MJO bias over 10-30 month intervals. Some of the newer peer reviewed research has successfully predicted ENSO out 2-3 years with these methods. Soon it will be realized that ENSO is externally forced by the Sun, and QBO/SAO. This is why our dynamic modeling of ENSO is so piss-poor. When statistical modeling stomps dynamical modeling on a regular basis, you know that you have your governing physics wrong. Statistical models only work when there is at least a minor, semi-predictable harmonic to ENSO behavior..suggesting that the forcing(s) are also harmonic in nature..aka specific, not chaotic and internal to the system..

When you upwell water with a deep thermocline, upwelling is much less effective than upwelling with a shallow thermocline. The thermocline depth in the east Pacific is typically quite shallow, and during El Ninos when the subsurface is warm, is deep.  That is why the SSTs are colder than normal. 

The actually SSTs are important to convection - and the convection influences the position and strength of the jet to its north.  So you are right on that account.  But anomalies with depth paint a big picture when it comes to the Kelvin waves and the eventual surface anomalies. When they are even a bit above normal, the convection will shift east influencing the northern hemispheric circulation (and global) circulation patterns (Walker cell positions).

El Nino in 2006 was early and weak.  http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm .  We could head into that if the current developing one comes and goes quickly like that one did.

Dec can be on the edge.  09 cold and dry that just went mild.  Early arctics are not out of the question with an El Nino.  Jan 2010 had no arctic in Seattle... http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=sew .  Nor did Feb.  So, was the last comment necessary??? 

The winter of 2006-07 which you said you were, in part, basing your forecast on, was very active throughout, with widespread lowland snow and arctic air in both November and January.

I agree that solar appears to be a factor in the forcing.  Models are rather simple by nature and represent a simplistic understanding and approximation as to what is going on.  I am amazed at how tied to them we are sometimes - especially when it comes to climate (long and short term) prediction.  Hard to get the day-to-day weather right.  I know of no models that take solar into account.  This is a good book, check it out if you haven't already.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Chilling-Stars-Cosmic-Climate/dp/1840468661

• Like 2

I agree that solar appears to be a factor in the forcing.  Models are rather simple by nature and represent a simplistic understanding and approximation as to what is going on.  I am amazed at how tied to them we are sometimes - especially when it comes to climate (long and short term) prediction.  Hard to get the day-to-day weather right.  I know of no models that take solar into account.  This is a good book, check it out if you haven't already.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Chilling-Stars-Cosmic-Climate/dp/1840468661

Great post jaya! :)

When you upwell water with a deep thermocline, upwelling is much less effective than upwelling with a shallow thermocline. The thermocline depth in the east Pacific is typically quite shallow, and during El Ninos when the subsurface is warm, is deep. That is why the SSTs are colder than normal.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. :)

I agree it takes longer, but we saw it happen as recently as 2011. The subsurface was very similar to where it is today, and people were calling for a super-Niño even in the peer reviewed literature, totally glossing over the forcing mechanisms behind the WWB/KW events, and why they would cease and fail to preserve the Niño-thermocline.

The Walker Cell eventually migrated west, and we ended up falling back into a moderate La Niña within 13 weeks, and I personally couldn't understand the logic behind Hansen et al.

The actually SSTs are important to convection - and the convection influences the position and strength of the jet to its north. So you are right on that account. But anomalies with depth paint a big picture when it comes to the Kelvin waves and the eventual surface anomalies. When they are even a bit above normal, the convection will shift east influencing the northern hemispheric circulation (and global) circulation patterns (Walker cell positions).

Agree that topical SSTs significantly influence the Walker/Hadley cells, no question. But wouldn't you agree that the tropical circulations precede ENSO by a detectable margin, and are affected by more than just SSTs? Before a Niño, the Walker Cell migrates eastward (as it has been doing for 1yr now). WWB/KW activity increases as it migrates, increasing warmer SSTs/uplift farther and farther east, etc.

I will be very surprised if we don't have a significant Nino going into next winter. This looks a lot more ominous to me than 2012 did. It looked fairly hopeful for a significant MJO wave to eventually move into octants 1, 2, and 3 several days ago, but that is looking less likely now. Current progs keep the SOI quite low for at least the next 2 weeks. While the skill on surface pressure predictions in the tropics is far from stellar, I'm just not liking what I'm seeing.

I'm all in for a Nino developing this year. I am usually right when it comes to ENSO. I was one of the few that predicted the quick demise of the 2012 event. In retrospect I wish that Nino had gone full blown to get it out of its system.

Looking very possible this area will end up with 3 loser winters in row for snowfall. What a ******* joke this climate is.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm all in for a Nino developing this year. I am usually right when it comes to ENSO. I was one of the few that predicted the quick demise of the 2012 event. In retrospect I wish that Nino had gone full blown to get it out of its system.

Sorry to sound like a d**chebag, but please give credit where credit is due...I've busted my butt in research, and given the fact that I had these predictions out years before you, I'd like some credit. Sometimes I get the sense that you feed off me.

I predicted the demise of the 2012-13 event over 1 year in advance, as well as the current (temporary) drop into La Niña conditions.

I've also been predicting the weak-to-moderate 2014-15 El Niño since July 2012. I worked hard on my prediction, while you were against the idea of a Niño as recently as a month ago. No offense intended, just feel the need to clear this up.

Looking very possible this area will end up with 3 loser winters in row for snowfall. What a ******* joke this climate is.

Then you jump to this nonsense? Winter 2014-15 could easily be another 1967-68. Don't let your emotions dictate your forecasting.

Sorry to sound like a d**chebag, but please give credit where credit is due...I've busted my butt in research, and given the fact that I had these predictions out years before you, I'd like some credit. Sometimes I get the sense that you feed off me.

I predicted the demise of the 2012-13 event over 1 year in advance, as well as the current (temporary) drop into La Niña conditions.

I've also been predicting the weak-to-moderate 2014-15 El Niño since July 2012. I worked hard on my prediction, while you were against the idea of a Niño as recently as a month ago. No offense intended, just feel the need to clear this up.

Then you jump to this nonsense? Winter 2014-15 could easily be another 1967-68. Don't let your emotions dictate your forecasting.

I'm well aware that you did a great job with the 2012 Nino. I have a different way of forecasting ENSO than you do and this is totally my own reasoning. A month ago I still thought a Nino was more likely than not, but I saw some chance we could escape it. Not now.

1967-68 was actually a La Nina, and was a so so winter for the Seattle area. You may have meant 1968-69 though. Give me any reason to expect we should have a good outcome next winter. We haven't been able to buy a region wide great winter here for ages even though other parts of the country have been easily scoring huge minus anomaly winters in recent years. I'm pretty much done with this area and am counting the days until I can leave here. It's to the point where I could care less if the Seattle area has an amazing winter the year after I leave, because I'll still be in this state and it will be great there too. It's just not worth the pain anymore.

When I live somewhere that cold and snow are a given I will be able to forecast the weather in the Puget Sound region with no emotion and I will probably be very effective.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thanks, yep I meant 1968-69. I'm sorry if I came off in a negative manner.

No problem. I know I'm being pissy right now, but I think I've earned it after suffering through so many disappointing years here. As I've told the younger people on here before. It's not going to get any better here. If you want snowier winters...move before this place steals your soul.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No problem. I know I'm being pissy right now, but I think I've earned it after suffering through so many disappointing years here. As I've told the younger people on here before. It's not going to get any better here. If you want snowier winters...move before this place steals your soul.

Overall since 2002, Whatcom County has done very well. This is for my location on the W side of Lake Whatcom, 3 miles from the N end of the lake.  

2001-2002- 25 inches

2002-2003- 2 inches

2003-2004- 8 inches

2004-2005- 7 inches

2005-2006- 5 inches

2006-2007- 23 inches

2007-2008- 8 inches (4 in Mar/Apr)

2008-2009- 35 inches

2009-2010- 1 inch

2010-2011- 12 inches

2011-2012- 13 inches

2012-2013-  0 inches

2013-2014- 15 inches

I think this location is probably in the middle of the pack when talking about snowfall totals in Whatcom County. I’m sure you would be very happy in Lynden, especially if this pattern of snowfall continues. Compared to Covington and Seattle, Bellingham has obliterated them in the snowfall department. 

I think you're being kind of a homer. It was a pretty D**n good winter for the majority of the west side. From Medford to Bellingham. As I keep saying, it was only a stretch from about Toledo to Arlington that got left out of the snow fun.

I think you're being kind of a homer. It was a pretty D**n good winter for the majority of the west side. From Medford to Bellingham. As I keep saying, it was only a stretch from about Toledo to Arlington that got left out of the snow fun.

From 1000'-3000' there wasn't much snow either. But I'm not on here bitching my a** off about it 24/7. I bought some flowers for my wife to plant in the yard today, the bulbs I planted last fall are coming up, I am embracing life.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Overall since 2002, Whatcom County has done very well. This is for my location on the W side of Lake Whatcom, 3 miles from the N end of the lake.  

2001-2002- 25 inches

2002-2003- 2 inches

2003-2004- 8 inches

2004-2005- 7 inches

2005-2006- 5 inches

2006-2007- 23 inches

2008-2009- 35 inches

2009-2010- 1 inch

2010-2011- 12 inches

2011-2012- 13 inches

2012-2013-  0 inches

2013-2014- 15 inches

I think this location is probably in the middle of the pack when talking about snowfall totals in Whatcom County. I’m sure you would be very happy in Lynden, especially if this pattern of snowfall continues. Compared to Covington and Seattle, Bellingham has obliterated them in the snowfall department.

I know the north county did much better in 2007-08 than Bellingham did also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess that's kind of the point. Sometimes just fine details ruin what should be a great winter. I'm tired of waiting. Nothing more...nothing less.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2001-2002- 25 inches

2002-2003- 2 inches

2003-2004- 8 inches

2004-2005- 7 inches

2005-2006- 5 inches

2006-2007- 23 inches

2008-2009- 35 inches

2009-2010- 1 inch

2010-2011- 12 inches

2011-2012- 13 inches

2012-2013-  0 inches

2013-2014- 15 inches

March 2012 did better than all those years here. ;)

Total season snowfall for my residence in South Surrey, BC since I've recorded there:

2007-2008: 22"
2008-2009: 36"
2009-2010: 2"
2010-2011: 14"
2011-2012: 7"
2012-2013: 8"
2013-2014: 20"

Historical snowfall average for my location: 20"

So, a bit below average the last 7 years at my locale.

I recall '06-'07 being similar to '07-'08; however, aside from maybe 1 storm or two, 2000-2006 was awful for snow.

You are comparing 1600 feet elevation to 312 feet elevation. 

Just saying those numbers all seem pretty pedestrian compared to places where it can really snow. If you are going to move somewhere for the snow, move somewhere with actual big snow potential. 

Maybe Jim can rent a room from Tim in a few years when Tim's sons go away to college. ;)

Tim lives in a location that can get some pretty legit snow.

Maybe Jim can rent a room from Tim in a few years when Tim's sons go away to college. ;)

Tim lives in a location that can get some pretty legit snow.

I was just thinking about all the space we will have in 5 years when the boys go to college!   

I remember something about snow here... but it seems so distant.    Like it was a dream.   I think it used to snow here.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Great pic, but I think you're confusing this with the main March thread.

Yep... it appears that is what I did.

Not used to the monthly thread being so far down the list.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**