The Presidents Day Storm

Tom

Finally made it to 6" of snow (a half-foot) @ 12:40 PM MST.  Snow growth has been good for the last hour or so.

The NWS WFO in Rapid City already has 7.4"; (as of 11 AM MST) as they have been under some nice bands

The main reason; of course is those guys are clearing the snow-board every 8 hours (or whatever is the common rule) to account for settling (as is the proper technique) and I don't have the patience or inclination to do that...thus my numbers are inordinately low.

I'm not really use to these long duration events...

Maybe I'll get a snow-board next year...assuming I'm still around.

3km NAM is rather impressive with sleet tonight, with 45dBz reflectivities as the event begins. Glad by the time I have to be outside tomorrow it'll be done falling.

Temps around 7*C at 800mb during the precip tonight. Yup, it'll be sleet.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Finally made it to 6" of snow (a half-foot) @ 12:40 PM MST.  Snow growth has been good for the last hour or so.

The NWS WFO in Rapid City already has 7.4"; (as of 11 AM MST) as they have been under some nice bands

At 2:00 PM the storm total here reached 6.5".

This brings the seasonal total to 30.0" of snow.  It only took 25 separate measurable events to make it....lol.

Monthly total at 14.5".

Sidewalks are mostly dry/salty but I walked on a random patch of ice earlier and busted my butt. Scattered pieces of precipitation are falling right now, but it's so light I can't really tell what it is.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I was out in South Barrington a couple hours ago and it was very foggy, gloomy with very low visibility.  When I got to Des Plaines, the wind was very strong out of the S and it feels like Spring is in the air!  The warm front is literally drapped across I-90.  Current Temp/DP: 56F/53F 

• Like 1

Um yea, no. The HRRR is much faster with the cold air infiltration tomorrow and the cold air undercuts a sizable portion of the rain moving NE. That'd be a decent hit. Fortunately, its the 18hr HRRR.

http://maps2.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/hrrr/2018021922/018/refcmp_ptype.us_c.png

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

At 2:00 PM the storm total here reached 6.5".

This brings the seasonal total to 30.0" of snow.  It only took 25 separate measurable events to make it....lol.

Monthly total at 14.5".

At 5:15 PM MST the storm total is 7.5".

It was snowing and the intensity of the snow was increasing in the last 15 minutes.

Temp 2 F.

Wind North @ 15 mph.

The Rapid City NWS WFO had 9.8" of snow at 5 PM.

Moisture looks to be increasing a bit in the southern plains right now and heading north. Temp has slowly fallen to 33. Local met and DMX are sticking with the .1-.25" of ice and then getting windy tomorrow.

It’s the wind that I’m worried about tomorrow afternoon. Our local met said that’s when any power outages will happen

You are getting the good side of the storm.

Could have been better; but its pretty pleasant.  Very cold here; down to 0 F.

I'm going to get one of those snow board things so my measurements can be a little more precise.  Out here; you have a lot of these long duration events and the snow settles (and the low-water content making it even more prone to settling). 

My failure to take account of this probably has taken two inches off my total; as even the NWS Office (who does things properly) has measured about 2 more inches than I have.

Obviously, in an event that is about 32 hours old now; there was unaccounted for settling.

A measurement should be taken every eight hours; and then the snow board should be cleared.

Even with the settling; looks like about 8.3" snow here as of 7:13 PM MST.

I'm going to get one of those snow board things so my measurements can be a little more precise.  Out here; you have a lot of these long duration events and the snow settles (and the low-water content making it even more prone to settling). 

My failure to take account of this probably has taken two inches off my total; as even the NWS Office (who does things properly) has measured about 2 more inches than I have.

Obviously, in an event that is about 32 hours old now; there was unaccounted for settling.

A measurement should be taken every eight hours; and then the snow board should be cleared.

To give you an example; the Rapid City NWS WFO has a storm total (as of 5 PM) of 9.8" of snow; but is only reporting 8 inches of snow on the ground.

So what does that tell you?

They lost about 2 inches to settling.

(They started with bare ground as Friday & Saturday were very warm).

• Like 1

OAX picking up on that as well -- This is Plattsmouth's point-click forecast: 

A chance of flurries and freezing drizzle before midnight, then freezing rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. North northwest wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.2 of an inch possible.

HRRR has some spots in between OMA and LNK getting .2"+ of ice accumulation tonight.

About 8.5" @ 8:10 PM MDT

Looks likes that's it / radar falling apart (its night time).

16.5" on the month; 32.0" on the season.

Very tricky; getting a precise measurement...between the drifting; the settling; the obstructions such as the house...the excess because of snow blowing off the roof...not so easy to get it just right.

Since it was the biggest snow of the season; it was quite pleasant to experience. 

Everything looks better under cover of snow...as the original cover was nearly gone as of Sunday morning.

Could have been better; but its pretty pleasant. Very cold here; down to 0 F.

I'm going to get one of those snow board things so my measurements can be a little more precise. Out here; you have a lot of these long duration events and the snow settles (and the low-water content making it even more prone to settling).

Obviously, in an event that is about 32 hours old now; there was unaccounted for settling.

Yeah i think my measurements are a little low this season from the settling. Its hard to keep up unless you go out to measure every hour.

Looks like we’re getting thunderstorms popping up on the radar despite temps only in the 20s near Omaha

Radar looks weird af. Little popcorn cells popping up around Lincoln. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Look at all those thunderstorms over KS and NE. Must be quite the bit of elevated instability, as the CAA is relatively shallow. Convection with surface temps in the teens is certainly something. 

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Wish we weren't on the far Western edge of the convection. Omaha people are lucky. Convective storms with frozen precip (besides hail) are rare. It's even better that this is happening at night. This would be painful to be outside in.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Had about 4 different thunderstorms here tonight. All with torrential hail for about 5 minutes each and bright lightning and thunder. Wow! That was crazy!!!

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

I've had close to 1.5" of rain thus far with lots of standing water in my back yard.  Getting a pretty good down pour ATM with a much needed lull in the action after this rolls through.  I think with the next round of rainfall later this afternoon/evening I can solidly reach the 2" mark and depending on where the heavier bands set up I might top the 3" mark.  

• Like 2

About 8.5" @ 8:10 PM MDT

Looks likes that's it / radar falling apart (its night time).

16.5" on the month; 32.0" on the season.

Very trick; getting a precise measurement...between the drifting; the settling; the obstructions such as the house...the excess because of snow blowing off the roof...not so easy to get it just right.

Since it was the biggest snow of the season; it was quite pleasant to experience. 

Everything looks better under cover of snow...as the original cover was nearly gone as of Sunday morning.

I took a couple of photos from my kitchen window for posterity...it is certainly a pretty day.

DSC00032.JPG

• Like 6