East and Gulf Coast Weather 2018

Phil

This upcoming winter will most likely be my last in PA before moving back out west.

> active winter 2018-19

What? No move to Texas? Thought you liked the food! No, snow, but we make up for it in storms and hurricanes!

We'll see more rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm sitting at 4" since last week.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Misting here now as isentropic lift increases ahead of the warm front. Some heavier rains encroaching from the west..cold front still west of the Apps but closing in rapidly.

Well, my rain gauge runneth over !

5+ " of rain over the 8 days. 1 1/2" last night. 5 big cells went over in about 3 hours and just backed up the truck.

Ground is super saturated so anything coming your way east is coming with gusto ! Enjoy.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Here we go..62mph in Davis, 56mph in Elkins, 59mph at the Grant County Airport. Still increasing as well.

Looks like we have our first weather station fatality.

The Dolly Sods Mtn station looks to have been blown over/off its mount, judging by the behavior of the wind vane and speed data. https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWVDAVIS26&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history

Huge gusts out west...72mph in Grantsville, MD, and 70mph in Baker, WV. Following the 73mph in Snowshoe WV earlier.

Huge gusts out west...72mph in Grantsville, MD, and 70mph in Baker, WV. Following the 73mph in Snowshoe WV earlier.

serious wind event for sure incoming.also storm next week has better potential in a snow since could well be our past snow event we have been speculating for a while in March we will see certainly an active early March pattern.only thing I don't like about next week is DT hyping he has really stunk up the joint this winter.

One of the big tulip poplars just exploded in the woods behind my neighbor’s house. Will grab pics when the sub comes up and it’s safe. To think, this thing is still just getting started!

Dulles just hit 67mph.

Snowing now, gusts up around 60-65mph. Lots of branches and debris being thrown around.

Caught a video of our deck furnature getting tossed about...legit event.

This is a pretty stunning event. Everything about it extreme.

I can vouch for the power of the collision of warm moist air with the front.

When it collided it was like turning on a faucet for us.

Looking forward to your video Phil.

This is amazing. Debris flying everywhere, both from trees and anthropogenic sources. House is shaking like a mofo. Easily 60-70mph here right now.

Saw four trees go down within the span of an hour. There are shingles, siding, screens, shutters, leaves, branches, trash, and trashcans flying around the neighborhood.

Someone’s mailbox blew off its post. :lol:

Saw four trees go down within the span of an hour. There are shingles, siding, screens, shutters, leaves, branches, trash, and trashcans flying around the neighborhood.

Someone’s mailbox blew off its post. :lol:

the ssw doing it's work before the ssw pattern was about as lame as possible now it like a switch went off and pattern is going haywire.
  • Like 1

Models are trying to show the next coming of superstorm of 93 around March 12 :lol: lol because I don't by it 93 had a classic subtropical jet with it and was a winter coming off a Nino over all.this is a niña year not to say a big storm like that can't happen it just a lot rare in this day in age in ninas.I still think we could pull a past snow event in one of these storms between now and the 15 but I suspect it will be a case where it sneaks up on everyone that is sort of how niña March past storms work they sneak up with out much expection before hand.so we will see.as I said before and will say again our best snow winter years are years when we have a active subtropical jet 95-96 was a niña but the big difference between that one and this one was we had not only a prodominent negative nao blocking pattern but a prodominent active subtropical jet all winter long just about this winter and even current one the storms were phase types that tend to form to late which is quite typical with niña years those because we did score with the wind part with this one it makes it easyer to live with the fact we missed the snow side.hopefuly next winter and or the following one we see the subtropical jet and the Pacific jet come back along side with a blocking pattern and this winter marks the end of this lousy string we been in.

Had a chance to grab any photos ?

Had a chance to grab any photos ?

Yes, and a few videos too. Will post tomorrow though, hitting the hay for tonight.

So, the local schools gusted to 76mph and 69mph, respectfully. That’s nuts. The lufft anemometer unit on my roof registered 71mph, which matches the reading at Dulles. Makes sense, since we share Dulles’ wind climo to a large degree.

Posting some video soon.

So, the local schools gusted to 76mph and 69mph, respectfully. That’s nuts. The lufft anemometer unit on my roof registered 71mph, which matches the reading at Dulles. Makes sense, since we share Dulles’ wind climo to a large degree.

Posting some video soon.

it's like a whole new world out there today with the more calmer winds no more roar.

Video of the first “big” gust. This one was 64mph right at dawn, so the light was crappy.

Models are trying to show the next coming of superstorm of 93 around March 12 :lol: lol because I don't by it 93 had a classic subtropical jet with it and was a winter coming off a Nino over all.this is a niña year not to say a big storm like that can't happen it just a lot rare in this day in age in ninas.I still think we could pull a past snow event in one of these storms between now and the 15 but I suspect it will be a case where it sneaks up on everyone that is sort of how niña March past storms work they sneak up with out much expection before hand.so we will see.as I said before and will say again our best snow winter years are years when we have a active subtropical jet 95-96 was a niña but the big difference between that one and this one was we had not only a prodominent negative nao blocking pattern but a prodominent active subtropical jet all winter long just about this winter and even current one the storms were phase types that tend to form to late which is quite typical with niña years those because we did score with the wind part with this one it makes it easyer to live with the fact we missed the snow side.hopefuly next winter and or the following one we see the subtropical jet and the Pacific jet come back along side with a blocking pattern and this winter marks the end of this lousy string we been in.

Wow! weather, Try a period and a paragraph occasionally.

That stream of consciousness thing almost cost me my eyesight ! :)

Loved the enthusiasm though.

The roof damage is so widespread. It’s actually very hard to find houses that aren’t missing shingles/shutters/etc.

GzRSaBQ.jpg

RtWKyvr.jpg

oAVG8xH.jpg

O95nuZt.jpg

0LTkTJ9.jpg

Quite a blow up,there !

Hope your place came out better.

• Like 1

Here’s a roof blown off, flipped semis, and a few others taken from twitter/AmWx:

6U6K5bN.jpg

kKvmnGp.jpg

fhc9NTK.jpg

vtjPjZ8.jpg

f2tZAbt.png

98pPcrN.png

GtIzoMH.png

yxCS1oX.png

cBR79ty.jpg

eJ2ghYN.png