April 3rd-4th Plains/GL's Winter Storm

Tom

I am still baffled as to why the point forecasts have a range of 6-12 around here. That seems way too high for this event. With how things have been I feel like 6 inches should be the top of the range... I know it is long duration, but don't see the high totals materializing...

Here's the 90% map from La Crosse.

SnowAmt10Prcntl.png

St Paul and Minneapolis upgraded to a warning. 6-10” in the point today. Might be our biggest storm of the season if you combine with yesterday’s totals. Wowzers.

Good luck to you and the rest of you guys up north.

• Like 2

Actually wondering what brand of glue OAX was sniffing when they put us in the WWA.

I'm guessing in part for Omaha at least it was only because of the morning rush.  There were some major accidents on bridges and overpasses, L street going over I-80 had a 12 car pile up and a couple roads around my office were closed as well as I arrived.  Honestly it wasn't that bad, but you know how people drive around here. :) . It looked like to me that the city of Omaha may have been caught off guard a bit getting salt trucks out.

I'm guessing in part for Omaha at least it was only because of the morning rush.  There were some major accidents on bridges and overpasses, L street going over I-80 had a 12 car pile up and a couple roads around my office were closed as well as I arrived.  Honestly it wasn't that bad, but you know how people drive around here. :) . It looked like to me that the city of Omaha may have been caught off guard a bit getting salt trucks out.

No issue here. Roads are dry as a bone and radar looks unfavorable.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Looks like the band out in SD is making its move and transferring energy to the south with the north band dissipating. Looks like south MN is in a very good spot (cities on south)!

The northern end of that intense band is expanding. We’re gonna get raked in a bit. South metro on south will do best but it’s going to be good by us too.

Only that one week in Feb delivered on a model "storm threat" and even then could not pull off double digits in any single event. 

A kiss of white stuff should be on my deck some time tomorrow..

20180403 8am GLs map for Wed the 4th.gif

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

It looks like a pretty narrow corridor that is probably scoring big right now. i think some in the warning area will under perform.

Small flakes but will hit warning criteria here for sure...

Not many storms where someone in the warning doesn't underperform

• Like 1

Cedar Rapids now in the winter weather advisory.  The double standards on issuing headlines is comical to me with the NWS.  Keokuk, IA got 4" of snow Sunday, but no advisory issued, despite all signs pointing towards 2-4" for that area.   Now CR is in line for a 1/2" of snow and maybe a thin glaze of ice, but they issue the advisory.  4" of snow would be significantly more hazardous than what we're expecting today.  

• Like 3

Cedar Rapids now in the winter weather advisory. The double standards on issuing headlines is comical to me with the NWS. Keokuk, IA got 4" of snow Sunday, but no advisory issued, despite all signs pointing towards 2-4" for that area. Now CR is in line for a 1/2" of snow and maybe a thin glaze of ice, but they issue the advisory. 4" of snow would be significantly more hazardous than what we're expecting today.

OAX has become comical with headlines too. This morning's WWA for my county was completely uncalled for as we had zero chance for appreciable precip even when the advisory was issued. Typically headlines are their stronger suit but maybe they're thinner skinned now cuz it's April.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.