April 6th-7th Plains/MW Spring Snow System

Tom

I'm not willing to die by the NAM quite yet. It's the only real model consistently showing dry air screwing us over. At this point, we still have Euro, GFS, HRRR, and RAP all on our side. At least in Lincoln (Sorry Craig & Jeremy).

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Sooooo 18z NAM throws us a major curveball that I wouldn’t be disappointed with here in Omaha!!

Meh. I'd be happier with higher amounts on Friday than Sunday. At least tomorrow the snow would stick around the entire day into Saturday. Sunday whatever falls that day is gonna instantly go away as skies clear later on and/or ptype flips to rain.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I saw on Ken Siemek’s twitter page (channel 10/11 meteorologist from Lincoln) that he thinks dry air being pulled in from the east will limit snowfall in Lincoln and eastern Nebraska and most accumulation will be west of Lincoln towards central and western Nebraska. Who knows. I hope those that want snow get it. Ready for spring here.

I know that this snow and cold weather of the last few weeks has caused havoc with the scheduling of sports activities.  Our school was supposed to participate in the following activities on Friday, all have been rescheduled:  track meet, golf meet, soccer games, tennis meet.  Our AD said in his 20 years of his athletic administration, he doesn't remember a stretch of time that so many activities have been postponed, cancelled, or rescheduled.  Example, our soccer team has played 1 game in the last 16 days.  He also said trying to find enough indoor spaces for practices for the activities has been difficult.

My daughter was on the HS tennis squad from 2013-2016. All but her senior year were miserable cold and snowy springs here in SMI. We can relate! And there's really no such thing as a girl's "cold wx uniform". They were issued one skimpy uniform meant only for summer conditions. Wasn't too much fun for dad either. To spectate was to freeze. I do miss her playing tho

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

My daughter was on the HS tennis squad from 2013-2016. All but her senior year were miserable cold and snowy springs here in SMI. We can relate! And there's really no such thing as a girl's "cold wx uniform". They were issued one skimpy uniform meant only for summer conditions. Wasn't too much fun for dad either. To spectate was to freeze. I do miss her playing tho

Well all teams competed today. No activities tomorrow or Saturday so it can snow and be cold for a few more days. You’re right about the skimpy uniforms, I think they are a little ridiculous. Companies obviously see a trend I guess.

One last middle finger before Spring kicks in! It's fairly annoying how this whole season there has never been one solid blob of snow on radar here. It's all been thin lines that have dropped a quick 1-2 inches.

At least the pixie dust will be pleasant to look at.

• Like 1

Lightly snowing, radar looks like . I think we've reached our daily high so let's hope radar turns better. If we'd gotten as much snow this year as we've gotten dry air during storms, we'd be looking at another 2009-10. 31.3°F.

Dry air has pushed everything North. Guess we have to get screwed to the North one more time this year.

I feel for ya man, you missed the Easter Sunday snow and now this one isn't looking to good.  OMA peeps look like they are getting some powdery snow ATM.

I get to hear it from the teachers lounge, "where's the snow"?  I tried to explain about the dry air, but they said we changed all of the schedules for nothing.  NWS Hastings is saying all models have reduced snow, and the WWA may expire early if little or no snow falls. Most places will struggle to get to an inch imo, unless a quick burst comes through.  I am not complaining for my area, but many areas have been missed time after time.  Just add one more notch in the belt of misses or non events this season.

I don't think we even get an inch here. Local forecasts keep backing down, now just saying snow showers with no accumulations. Most models were way to moist with this system and just caught up last night with the drying trends.

It's accumulating here, radar is just shitty. You're in a horrible place with the dry air.

Ripping here now but only cuz we're in a progressive weenie band. Thinking we're gonna progressive weenie band our way to an inch for the rest of the day.

It's accumulating here, radar is just shitty. You're in a horrible place with the dry air.

You're right.  Actually is a lot brighter here than 1 hour ago.  What a miss by the models and forecasters.

We were at around 1/2” as of 800. At this rate we might make it to an inch by noon. 95% pixie dust with breaks of no snow and every once in a while we get a couple minutes of maybe dime size flakes. Weak sauce. Onto the next non event Sunday before we get warm next week!

• Like 1

We were at around 1/2” as of 800. At this rate we might make it to an inch by noon. 95% pixie dust with breaks of no snow and every once in a while we get a couple minutes of maybe dime size flakes. Weak sauce. Onto the next non event Sunday before we get warm next week!

I guess congrats is in order :D.  The sun just tried to peak out here for a few seconds.  I thought we might get 1", but I wonder if we even get a dusting.

• Like 1

I might have to revise my total down. Hasn’t snowed in over an hour now in the persistent dry spot I’ve been stuck in

As the radar shows the snow moving southeast, it just fizzles out when it hits I-80.  I am about 15 miles south of the interstate.  The dry air has definitely put the kabosh on this system.  I sure hope the storm late next weekend could be one of the dynamic spring storms with severe weather, and possible blizzard conditions on the northwest side of it.  Those are fun to track.  Been awhile since we have had one of those storms around here.

1" from midnight to about 5:30  A true stat-padder as it's already 38º and wiped-out.

I'd take half my seasonal total in (3) 10" storms. 1) At Christmas  2) For MLK Day 3) VD any time vs how I got where I am without a dbl digit event  :lol:

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Measured an inch on the grass. It's a shame that this whole season we haven't been able to get good rates for more than 10 minutes at a time. In other news, roads are gonna be hellish tonight with flash freezing. 21.4*F.