August 2018 Observations and Discussion

I'm not seeing anything but near to AN temps for the GL's through the first 18 days of August. 

Same here. Seems like we'll stick close to normal for the foreseeable future. Honestly I'm fine with that. I'll take it over what we had in June.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Rear Tornado (weak) hit parts of Queens, NY last night. Lot of damages. Crazy weather.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Got a heater this weekend. 95 and 94 in my P&C today and tomorrow and 90 on Monday which would make it an official heat wave should that happen. Really could use some rain. Like others, i also had to get the sprinkler out as my lawn was looking more like straw than grass.

• Like 2

Got a heater this weekend. 95 and 94 in my P&C today and tomorrow and 90 on Monday which would make it an official heat wave should that happen. Really could use some rain. Like others, i also had to get the sprinkler out as my lawn was looking more like straw than grass.

We may rally today and surpass the hottest day of the summer.  ORD already at 90F at 11:00am...#heat!

• Like 1

While GRR has had 0.64” of rain this month here at my house it has only been 0.06” so things are getting dry in NW Grand Rapids. Today looks to be yet another very warm and humid but dry day. The latest reading at GRR is 84° with a DP of 71° here at my house I have a temperature of 86° with a DP of 71°

Another.40 last night, heavier amounts over an inch in places. We are getting close to a couple more rains, of farmers not having to use irrigation systems anymore. Usually September 1 is the end of the season depending on how the entire summer of heat and moisture transpired. What a summer. The only time I have used my sprinkler system in the last month was Friday, as we have a lawn service that takes care of all of the applications of fertilizer, pesticides, weed control, grubs, etc and that had to be watered in.

This is about as close to “dry heat” as you can get in late summer around here. The dry wx we have had of late is def aiding to keep DP’s very low. At ORD, the DP just dropped to 59F. To be quite honest, it actually does not feel that bad out there. Reminds me of the AZ climate.

• Like 1

This is about as close to “dry heat” as you can get in late summer around here. The dry wx we have had of late is def aiding to keep DP’s very low. At ORD, the DP just dropped to 59F. To be quite honest, it actually does not feel that bad out there. Reminds me of the AZ climate.

What is this dry heat you speak of.  We are back to a 73 dew.  All of this rain makes it hard to dry out around here, can't believe I am typing these words.  More chances in the next couple of days.  As I have said before there is a lot of disease in the grass and quite a bit of crab grass as the soil never really dries out.  My yard has some grubs that were just treated, but the service that sprays my yard said it is a unique year with all of the moisture

• Like 1

ORD tied the hottest day of the year yesterday at 97F.  Just like back on May 27th, low DP's allowed temps to soar.  As long as DP's stay low, I don't mind the heat as much.  Today should be another tolerable scorcher.

Looking forward to a couple days of storms tomorrow and Tuesday.

Temps have not dropped much over here.  Currently 78F/65F

Very nice line of storms heading towards Cedar Rapids.

I was just going to say, you and Hawkeye are looking good for a decent line of storms this morning.

Edit: Models showed this line weakening considerably while approaching E IA, but its holding together pretty darn good!

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/DVN/N0Q/DVN.N0Q.20180805.1200.gif

The line was all bark and no bite.  There were two large cracks of thunder, but the line bubbled right past me.  I only picked up a few hundredths.  It has been a pretty unlucky summer.  Hopefully, this line pushing so much farther through Iowa than models suggested will help bring tonight's storms farther south.  If we miss the stuff tonight into Monday morning, it is really going to get dry here.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Dang, its gonna be a hot day today (90-95F) w HI in the 100s.

@Jaster:   gettin any rains IYBY?! Here is as dry as can be.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The storm complexes in Iowa are not dropping rain here, but they are pushing much farther east and south than models predicted(the HRRR still doesn't see it).  The result is a cooler-and-cloudier-than-expected day, with the temp now back down to the upper 70s.  It might be tough to hit the expected 91.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The clouds through the middle of Iowa vanished and the heat surged north.  We went from 76/65 to 90/74.  Unfortunately, that means the storms are going to remain north through at least tonight.

The severe drought area of southern Iowa is approaching 100 degrees.

The CAMs have been terrible today.  There have been three storm clusters moving through the hw20 corridor in Iowa today, and the 3k nam and HRRR have not seen any of it.  Even the latest HRRR has nothing in the Waterloo area where there are currently strong storms.

Dang, its gonna be a hot day today (90-95F) w HI in the 100s.

@Jaster:   gettin any rains IYBY?! Here is as dry as can be.

Marshall actually had a good period of several showers last week, so holding our own here with mostly green lawn again. Monday evening/night holds promise as well. Looked like yby in Macomb also did ok last week? 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

ORD tied the hottest day of the year yesterday at 97F.  Just like back on May 27th, low DP's allowed temps to soar.  As long as DP's stay low, I don't mind the heat as much.  Today should be another tolerable scorcher.

Looking forward to a couple days of storms tomorrow and Tuesday.

Temps have not dropped much over here.  Currently 78F/65F

Ended up I was at ORD yesterday afternoon in the hottest of it, and yeah it was scorching but the lower DP's sure made it a LOT (play on words) more bearable. Even went down to the Loop about 6-10 pm and it was easy to be comfortable once the sun went hiding. Popping in and out of the shop's a/c helped too ofc. 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Not looking really incredible or interesting here the next few days. Typical August really. High for the week looks like tomorrow for me before storms Tuesday. Need a cold rally for August's close to have a shot at hitting the negative anomalies I expected this month. I'm admittedly behind the 8 ball on that call at this point. I'm interested to see where model trends go over the next few (3-5) days. Admittedly interesting to see a continental humid ridge with the characteristics of the one forecast.

Sometimes, I feel like there is a brick wall or a dome that prevents storms from reaching Cedar Rapids. We just have trouble getting anything here. It always falls apart or stays away. Lots of boring weather here.

We just can't seem to catch a break lately... especially this side of the city.  I was hoping storms would sink far enough south to get us something decent tonight, but now there's a heavy cell missing south, while more storms blow up well north where they've already had three rounds today.

We just can't seem to catch a break lately... especially this side of the city.  I was hoping storms would sink far enough south to get us something decent tonight, but now there's a heavy cell missing south, while more storms blow up well north where they've already had three rounds today.

HRRR seems to suggest that storms will reform over Iowa tonight, and maybe those storms by Waterloo could develop south. Main cold front passage tomorrow also may help.

But the rain situation could be worse I guess, this time last year, we started to get into a drought around here, and that hasn't happened here yet. 

One thing that has stood out to me so far this summer is the lack of thunderstorms. I do not keep track of the number because my bedroom has dark out curtains as I used to work 3rd shift and could miss many flashes of lighting overnight. But during other times of the day there have not been very many here at my house. Now for some official number of thunderstorms in west central lower Michigan. With some question as to the number GRR has reported a total of 13 with 4 each in July and June. A reported 7 in May 1 in April and 1 in January.  At Lansing a number that closer would resemble the number here at my house the total so far in 2018 is 7 with 3 in July 0 in June 2 in May 1 in April and 1 in January. Any way one looks at it there have not been very many thunderstorms in west Michigan so far this year.  

• Like 1

Finally!  The heavens have opened up and I just got a heavy shower.  If the models are right, a line of strong/severe storms should fire up later this afternoon.  I hope it doesn't miss us to the E/SE though, which is a real possibility.

Meantime, Cedar Rapids looks like they are finally scoring on a nice line of storms this morning.

• Like 2

Finally! The heavens have opened up and I just got a heavy shower. If the models are right, a line of strong/severe storms should fire up later this afternoon. I hope it doesn't miss us to the E/SE though, which is a real possibility.

Meantime, Cedar Rapids looks like they are finally scoring on a nice line of storms this morning.

Yes we are. the rain has been coming down since about 4:55, and it should last for at least a few hours. There has been a lot of lightning and some very loud thunder.

• Like 1

Yes we are. the rain has been coming down since about 4:55, and it should last for at least a few hours. There has been a lot of lightning and some very loud thunder.

Glad to hear.  Looks like a lot of us near the I-80 corridor are going to get some beneficial rains before it dries out again later this week into the weekend.

Over the last week, the models have been having a devil of a time trying to figure out the pattern across the N PAC and N.A. for this upcoming week.  It first started off by missing the "inside" slider in the NE PAC which ended up tracking off the NW NAMER coast that allowed the models to correct somewhat cooler from the blow torch runs the Euro had been showing.  This week, is about as ideal as one can ask for across the MW/GL's region for early August.  Not to hot, not to cool, with plentiful sunshine after we get through the next couple days.

The latest trends in the modeling is suggesting that an upper level trough gets cut-off across the MW/OV during the Fri-Mon period.  Now, what happens the Week of the 12th has been on my calendar for some time.  Models have been back and forth but I'm going to stick with my original thoughts that the impacts of the warm waters in the NE PAC, as well as, the development of the Bearing Sea trough later this week will be crucial in predicting the longer range pattern for the second half of the month.

It's hard not to get excited, but I think these are tell-tale signs for what we should be preparing for as we head towards the opening month of met Autumn.  The latest 00z Euro run is starting to come onto the idea that the seasons first power house Bearing Sea storm is to form late this weekend.  Coincidentally, it is forecast to blow up during the Week of the 12th, in fact, on the 12th!

00z Euro...

ecmwf_mslpaNorm_npac_8.png

00z GFS...

gfs_mslpaNorm_npac_29.png

The aforementioned N PAC pattern, alongside the development of the blossoming NE PAC HP during this period, leads me to believe that the second half of the month will feature some strong autumn-like storm systems targeting the N Rockies early the following week which will eject out into the N Plains.  IMO, this will result in a series of transient, strong troughs to swing through our sub forum during the Week 1-2 period sparking more chances of severe weather.  Some big swings in temps across the central CONUS are in the cards as the atmosphere gears up for Autumn.

Just throwing this out there, but I like the idea of a big wound up system to close out Aug or open up Sept somewhere across the Plains into the Upper MW.  This should deliver a very autumn like pattern across our sub.  Have a great Monday!