August 2018 Observations and Discussion

Getting a few thundershowers today on and off. Temps in the 70s w humid conditions.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Happy Saturday all!  Up a bit early today trying to get things done before I head out for the Air and Water show.  Thank you nature for delivering a perfectly timed, top notch weekend of weather here in Chicago.  Millions of people are likely to pack the shoreline and beaches today, along with the many mariners on the lake (although it may be a bit choppy).

Meantime, I'm thrilled to see the models converging on the long awaited, unusually strong, late August autumn-like storm late Sunday into Monday.  Run after run, the Euro has been advertising some high rainfall potential with this system.  Interestingly, it's been hinting at a defo band signature within this system as it spins up and tracks up towards the GL's.  A lot of us on here will be impacted so it should be a beneficial system.

Finally, I was flipping through different maps on TT's site, and I came across this N. H. map and it its "telling" of the times as we get closer towards Autumn.  Check out how Greenland (Arctic Summer's Refrigerator) is seeping early season cold into the Arctic Circle as we close out August and head into the first month of met Autumn.

Gosh, darn it, for some reason I cannot upload this gif, instead, if you want to, here is the link and you can flip through it.  Kinda neat to see the arctic fill up with early season cold.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=fv3p&region=nhem&pkg=T2m&runtime=2018081800&fh=240

• Like 1

My yard missed out on almost all of the rain that had been in the forecast for the past 3 days. My total for the 3 days was just a trace that fell yesterday. I will have to see if my area gets any rain today and again on Monday into Tuesday. Also still waiting for this summers first good thunderstorm. As thunder and lightning has been almost a non event here this year I think there has been just 3 times this whole warm season so far.

• Like 1

Boy, now I know what you guys out in MN experienced with the thick smoke. The sun is being dimmed quite a bit over here!

Tom you are right while in the house I thought it was just thin clouds that were blocking the sun but in walking out side can see that no it is the smoke that is doing the trick.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the Monday soaker.  I enjoy a day like that once in a while.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I miss the 90's.  It seems like we had thunderstorms every week here in Michigan.  Been a long time for an active pattern of spring/summer storms here.  

LOL, when I first read that I thought you wanted the HEAT we had back in July to return again!  :lol:

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Hazy, warm, humid day w no storms today. Very isolated. Temps in the 80s.

I was on the water all day yesterday, albeit a bit to choppy for my liking, it will be a day I won't forget for a long time.  The effect of the heavy smoke in the air literally blocked the suns strength for most of the day.  In fact, it took till very late in the day till I actually felt a sun burn coming on.  It was quite a milky look in the sky and almost felt like there was a constant eclipse happening.  Very interesting day to say the least.

• Like 1

Today's storm system impacting the central Plains is an impressive one.  Most high rez models deepen the SLP into the upper 990's and pivot in the perfect position to drop some very heavy rainfall.  This storm resembles some very unique features, including, a beauty of a defo band in August?  How many times have we had an unusual system this summer?  

Latest HRRR hammers our LNK/OMA peeps...still raining hard...

hrrr_apcpn_ncus_18.png

Glad to see the KC region also getting a nice widespread soaker...

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_20.png

Edit: Shouldn't there be some sort of flood watch's hoisted???

• Like 2

I was on the water all day yesterday, albeit a bit to choppy for my liking, it will be a day I won't forget for a long time. The effect of the heavy smoke in the air literally blocked the suns strength for most of the day. In fact, it took till very late in the day till I actually felt a sun burn coming on. It was quite a milky look in the sky and almost felt like there was a constant eclipse happening. Very interesting day to say the least.

Any pics from yesterday?

About 1” here and that will about do it as I am now on the western edge of the rain shield. It was a beautiful rain, steady and straight down, no wind. Farmers at church said they will pick up pipe this week and won’t have to run center pivots again. Tomorrow low 70’s with north wind gusting to 30 mph. Fall preview?

• Like 1

Today's storm system impacting the central Plains is an impressive one.  Most high rez models deepen the SLP into the upper 990's and pivot in the perfect position to drop some very heavy rainfall.  This storm resembles some very unique features, including, a beauty of a defo band in August?  How many times have we had an unusual system this summer?  

Latest HRRR hammers our LNK/OMA peeps...still raining hard...

hrrr_apcpn_ncus_18.png

Glad to see the KC region also getting a nice widespread soaker...

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_20.png

Edit: Shouldn't there be some sort of flood watch's hoisted???

Rain never came down that hard here.  Not sure about east of here.  We were in the 1-2" forecast but will fall in the 1" range so that might be some of the reasoning behind no flood watches.

It's basically a constant light-moderate rain with embedded pockets of heavy rain here and there. We'll get well over an inch here. 69.1°F.

This reminds me of September 2015 when Lincoln got over 8” of rain that one day. You guys are golden, super jealous! Have fun!

• Like 1

I think models are way overblowing what we're looking at here. They're all showing the wraparound coming through here, which is understandable, but they also show constant heavy rain during that, which I don't see happening. I also don't see us ending up with 7" when all is said and done. 3-4" may be a better guess. Heavy rain coming down now, however. 67.8*F.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm not as enthused about this system over here as I was a couple days ago.  Models are now suggesting the heaviest rain will be from se NE through western and north Iowa.  Instead of an all-day soaker, we may get a band of rain first thing Monday morning and then not much else for much of the day.  WPC had my area in widespread 1.5-2.0", but now we're down to about an inch.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

What a soaker we have going on right now in Eastern Nebraska. Got drenched this morning while packing up our camping gear at our campsite about 30 miles south of Omaha, and it’s been pouring rain off and on all day around here.

Right now there’s just over a half inch of rain in the rain gauge in my backyard, with a Flash Flood Watch just recently issued for almost all of Eastern Nebraska - with the current forecast calling for 3 to 6 inches of rain from the Omaha metro to the south by tomorrow evening! I feel kind of stupid for complaining about missing out on all the rain earlier this week.

Might need to buy a bigger boat after this two day soaker moves through!

• Like 2

Nice system you guys are having in the midwest. I cant wait til Fall!

We just traveled through New York City today which was super cool. Never been there before! Seeing the city skyline was quite the sight.

We'll be in Philadelphia tonight. The weather out here today has been in the mid 70s and cloudy with a few showers.

• Like 1

We're done for the most part here it looks like. Looks like areas around the NE/IA state line are gonna be the ones cashing in on wraparound rain. Oh well, today was productive regardless. 67.8*F.

How much rain did you pick up in your area? I still think you will get in on some of the wraparound deformation band action later this evening and tonight in the Lincoln area.

We are at 1.20 inches for the day in my neighborhood, and it is still raining moderately currently with more to come tonight. Something worth mentioning is I cannot remember the last time we have had an August rain that feels “chilly.”

• Like 2

Nice evening out there w mostly clear skies. Temps in the 70s and dropping into the 60s.

Record Event Report

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE

443 PM CDT Sun Aug 19 2018

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET IN LINCOLN, NEBRASKA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.75 INCHES SO FAR WAS SET IN LINCOLN,

NEBRASKA TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.24 SET IN 2000.

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

We've stuck pretty close to average this month. Our highest mean temp departure was on August 5, when the departure was +5. We're going to shatter that today, though. We barely even touched 70 and that was in the morning.

Any pics from yesterday?

Not many pics this year. We ended up moving inside the barrier near Navy Pier and avoid the 3’ swells. Practically everyone started feeling natious an hour into the trip, even on a 38 footer. Long fetched NNE wind did not help.

Not sure I've ever felt a stiff easterly wind while fueling my ride, at 11 pm, in August. It's not chilly, but has that cold season "impending storm" feel to it. Was out on Lake Michigan about sunset and the cloud pattern from the Plains system approaching meant no visible sunset. Was still a calm and nice evening tho.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Not sure I've ever felt a stiff easterly wind while fueling my ride, at 11 pm, in August. It's not chilly, but has that cold season "impending storm" feel to it. Was out on Lake Michigan about sunset and the cloud pattern from the Plains system approaching meant no visible sunset. Was still a calm and nice evening tho.