2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

We're actually above average for rainfall since October 1 in most of Southern California.

Agreed. Every station around me (including my own) has already exceeded their entire season totals for the lackluster 2017-18 water year, and it's only January.

Still making these "floating bar" daily max/min temperature and precipitation graphs for my weather station data. 2018-19 so far:

edbz8i0.png

Those graphs look similar to the ones from ClimateStations.com. I always enjoy looking at these kinds of graphs for precipitation to get an idea of how wet the winter season was and how the rain was distributed throughout the season.

Those graphs look similar to the ones from ClimateStations.com. I always enjoy looking at these kinds of graphs for precipitation to get an idea of how wet the winter season was and how the rain was distributed throughout the season.

Good eye - that's where my graphs are inspired from. I actually talked to the site's owner, Charles Fisk, a few times over the years regarding the software he uses (which is custom-made) as well as the nature of the data he has found over the years. It's very interesting indeed.

• Like 1

Hey, can you guys please give us our precipitation back?

Sincerely, an Oregonian

But no really, I’m glad you guys are getting rain. Tahoe is getting dumped on and even SoCal is getting a downpour on Saturday. Besides, we’re getting a cold snap, although not much snow will fall.

• Like 1

Season to date rain totals

MO | Total | Avg | % of average 
Oct: 0.44" | 0.58" | 76%
Nov: 1.83" | 1.34" | 137%
Dec: 1.09" | 2.13" | 51%
Jan: 5.01" | 2.70" | 180%

Total so far: 8.37" | Annual avg 13.57" | 62% of the yearly avg so far. Getting closer to reaching the annual avg. Only 5.2" to go! :)

• Like 2

I received 0.53" today, for a total of 6.15" for January 2019 here in Orange. This was on the lower end of the predicted range, as 0.5" to 1" was forecast for this area with the storm, but still within range and NOT a bust!

There was some lightning and thunder in the area early this afternoon, but I think the thunderstorm activity was more vigorous in western Los Angeles, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties.

Storm total here 1.28", bringing the total for January to 7.10" -- wettest January since 2008, and wettest month since December 2010.  Season total thus far 12.59".

NWS seems to be getting rather alarmed regarding the next storm, especially the potential for wind damage.  The surface low does look stronger with each model run.  Batten down those hatches!

January’s storm total of 5.01” is the wettest month since February 2017. Not that long ago.

• Like 1

You guys are basically getting the ideal storm- strong winds, heavy rain, thunder and lightning, heavy snow, etc.

I am so jealous, enjoy it!

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Mostly light rain through last night with the rain letting up this morning for long enough to walk my dog around the block. Looks like the brunt of the storm moves through this afternoon.

Same here. 0.08" since midnight. Rain getting a bit heavier now

A forecast high of only 50F with showers on Tuesday? Brrrr. And maybe a mid February deluge coming? Epic

And not a single day has the temperature above 60F in the 14 day forecast.

5abe3d0f258d654b58d07b532440bd196bdbe364

That would not be an unusual forecast for Seattle in February.   You have our weather and we have Juneau's weather.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We are really getting dumped on right now. El Nino is delivering, unlike last time.

Every El Nino starting with 2006-07 has pretty much failed us. The atmosphere isn't syncing up with ocean events for some reason. 2009-10 was somewhat decent, but all the others were duds. We ironically got more out of the 2010-11 La Nina.

• Like 1

It started raining here in Orange last night around 11 pm, and continued mostly light throughout the night and this morning. It then picked up around noon or so and was moderate to heavy at times, before ending around 3:30 pm. There have been a few showers since then, but not too much, since the center of the low is moving onshore north of here.

Every El Nino starting with 2006-07 has pretty much failed us. The atmosphere isn't syncing up with ocean events for some reason. 2009-10 was somewhat decent, but all the others were duds. We ironically got more out of the 2010-11 La Nina.

2006-07 was a real dud in Socal, being the driest winter on record for Los Angeles. It was not a warm year like some of these recent drought years have been, and there was quite the cold snap in mid-January of that season that killed a fair number of ornamental plants in the Inland Empire that are not accustomed to the colder temperatures that hit the region at that time.

2015-16 was another dud of a winter, despite one of the stronger El Ninos on record, despite a very interesting summer season preceding it. However, once again the 2016-17 weak La Nina turned out to be much wetter than 2015-16.

• Like 1

2006-07 was a real dud in Socal, being the driest winter on record for Los Angeles. It was not a warm year like some of these recent drought years have been, and there was quite the cold snap in mid-January of that season that killed a fair number of ornamental plants in the Inland Empire that are not accustomed to the colder temperatures that hit the region at that time.

2015-16 was another dud of a winter, despite one of the stronger El Ninos on record, despite a very interesting summer season preceding it. However, once again the 2016-17 weak La Nina turned out to be much wetter than 2015-16.

I remember the January 2007 cold snap. Not far from me, the town of Menifee got down to 20F one morning, and the elevation there is only around 1400 feet above sea level.

They made it seem like we would get a lot more rain than we actually did today. There has hardly been any showers at all today. Only 0.06" since midnight when forecasts called for up to 1/3 of an inch.