2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

That's a long time to be away. Where are you going?

Army basic training. I've been told I get a two-week leave mid-way through it (around Christmas) but then I fly back out east to finish my training through roughly March. No internet access during most of that time so unfortunately I'll miss a lot of this winter here (and much of the next four years). Once I arrive at my unit in Spring 2020 and get situated, I will check back on here frequently but won't have obs or data of my own to show for quite a while. Ultimately I will come back however, eventually.

Much warmer here this evening, 13 degrees warmer than it was at this time yesterday (78F now versus 65F yesterday).

• Like 1

I guess no more Temecula weather pages.

The site is actually not run by me - I only contributed by writing stories on a somewhat regular basis. I have already made arrangements with the owner, the site will continue but my contributions will stop for a while. I'm not leaving completely, however.

Also looks like ENSO-neutral conditions will be present for the winter. I've already seen local newscasters predict below-average rainfall this season, but ENSO-neutral years are always a gamble.

Halfway through the month and I have seen almost no clouds here at all since the 1st. Every day this month so far has been either completely Sunny or Mostly Sunny, as I keep track of on my wall calendar. The quiet summer continues into a quiet autumn. All we have had this month is some occasional offshore flow, and slightly warmer than average days (but normal night temps).

Octobers of 2001, 2014 and 2017 were also very dry and inactive like this (although the latter two were much, much warmer).

The sun is almost 10.00 degrees south of the equator, which it will be by tomorrow morning. This morning sunrise was about 48 seconds later than yesterday while this evening sunset was about 72 seconds earlier. That amounts to about a 120 second loss of daylight.

Around the Fall Equinox the sunrises were about 41 seconds later each day while the sunsets were about 83 seconds earlier, which resulted in 124 seconds being lost each day.

So why is sunrise getting later faster now than at the equinox? It's because solar noon is approaching its earliest time of the year, which happens around November 3, and it's happening at a slower and slower rate every day. It's getting about 12 seconds earlier each day now vs. 21 seconds earlier each day at the equinox.

Meanwhile, weather continues to be boring.

So far Downtown LA is averaging 12.39 degrees more for the high temperature in October (82.29) than May (69.90).

It's not unusual for average highs in October to be that warm in Downtown L.A., but also remember that May was exceptionally cool this year due to that persistent trough pattern at the time.

In Temecula, this month's average high is a bit above average, but the average low is actually three degrees below average. Weirdly enough, that happened in October 1999 as well - extremely warm days, but surprisingly cool nights that were apparently not affected by the daytime heat.