February Snowfalls 2/10-2/12, Part III & IV

Geos

FWIW...I have a feeling it's not over for WA.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

It aint over until the fat lady sings!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This month will go down in the record books for sure. 

YVR's average high/low so far are 2.2/-4.2 (or 36.0F/24.4F). What's even more amazing to me is the warmest temp reached at YVR so far is 8.5C which of course occurred on the first of the month. This winter has definitely been redeemed! I never thought it could or would happen.

This is really extraordinary.  We have had stand alone great Februaries before, but for combination of deep cold, snow, and duration this one is already near the top.  We have a good shot at one more good round too.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The fv3 was the closest of the bunch with snow depths over here. It showed like 21 inches here by Tuesday night 4 days before and i had 26 on ground but 36 fell.

Yeah it was actually not far off here either.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I had the hung dog look as well! Frustrating, I kept trying to convince myself this is a good thing. This type of snow causes damage to the landscapes but I really did want the chaos !

I will say I find the southern branch snow events to be much less enjoyable than what we had last Friday.  The southern branch ones can get messy very easily.  My front yard is a mess from the branches that fell due to ice accumulation.  My area may have been the only place to have ice with this one.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I don't think much could have been done to help protect the dairy cows. Like that guy said this is probably a 100 year event for them. It was great seeing people come together though and help each other out so more cows could be saved.

Wow, I just read an article about the Queensland flooding. Looks like more than 300,000 cattle died. It seems now more than ever that extreme weather from cold, snow, avalanches, floods, hurricanes, tornados, droughts, wildfires, heatwaves etc. are happening at a higher frequency.

The lower solar cycles may be coming home to roost.  It is thought the weaker solar cycles cause a slower (more blocky) atmosphere which causes the more extreme events.  It's highly possible the last half of the 20th century and first part of this century were unrealistic compared to a norm of more severe weather.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow!  The monthly average for Bellingham through yesterday was 28.8.  That is pretty crazy.  I would imagine Clearbrook has probably been a couple of degrees colder.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Too bad Palmer wasn't recording snow this month. Would have been nice to see where this month stacked up against 1936 and 1949 there.

I'm going up there this weekend.  Should be an insane scene of very deep snow and huge snow drifts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thakfully it's going to freeze up before this brief round of rain hits.  After that it gets colder and drier again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hmmm not great.

You're kidding right? Why are you even focusing on 11+ days at this point when there appears to be chances in the coming week?

It's like people who wait and wait for snow, and when it finally starts snowing, they want to see when it's going to snow next instead of enjoying what's happening at that current time

• Like 2

You're kidding right? Why are you even focusing on 11+ days at this point when there appears to be chances in the coming week?

It's like people who wait and wait for snow, and when it finally starts snowing, they want to see when it's going to snow next instead of enjoying what's happening at that current time

Well since I don't think I'm going to score tomorrow I gotta turn my gaze to the future.

Wow! The monthly average for Bellingham through yesterday was 28.8. That is pretty crazy. I would imagine Clearbrook has probably been a couple of degrees colder.

And with no torch in sight this could be one of the coldest February’s on record!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Bring on spring!!! ☀

So let me get this straight... you don't start going on and on about fall starting in the middle of August?  Or if you do... then we can mock you?    :D

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So let me get this straight... you don't start going on and on about fall starting in the middle of August? Or if you do... then we can mock you? :D

Where’d all my emojis go?

And you mocking me and others for that would be nothing new. :D

Sounds like my emojis definitely made you pissy. Mossman took them in stride at least. :D

Although I was seriously re-thinking including the rainbow. You need rain for those. F*ck that s**t!

I am just casually pointing out the irony of you mocking someone for looking forward to spring just 14 days before it actually starts. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

How about a mixture of cool wet/cold dry weather? That's what models are showing...

If it includes sticking snow...sure!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Ended up with a high of 33.4F today, first above freezing temperatures since last Sunday afternoon for my weather station; pretty amazing for February. Looks like some of the snow has fallen off the trees, but not all of it. Things are freezing up quickly tonight under the clear skies. Looked like this in the morning.

g2Mw0C5.jpg

• Like 4

Ended up with a high of 33.4F today, first above freezing temperatures since last Sunday afternoon for my weather station; pretty amazing for February. Looks like some of the snow has fallen off the trees, but not all of it. Things are freezing up quickly tonight under the clear skies. Looked like this in the morning.

g2Mw0C5.jpg

How do you think things will be tmrw?