February Snowfalls 2/10-2/12, Part III & IV

Geos

There were many times I wondered if we would ever get to forecast a weather event of this magnitude.

The last two weeks have been one hell of a ride and I'm so grateful I got to experience it.

52008468_10218114871360477_4839666928358260736_n.jpg

You know it’s legit when the snow starts calving off the roofs.

8.5" NE of Redmond at 550ft for this evening. There's generally about 16-21" on the ground depending on the surface and amount of shade it received after the first snow. 31" So far for the month.

SE wind are helping keep us between 29 and 30 degrees. I'm skeptical of how long it will last but am enjoying it for now!

Ha, you still exist. Welcome back.

Yeah it becomes a nightmare if you wait too long. That’s why I did it one more time. Less work in the morning. Think I will need to get a snowblower for future winters...however it’s been one work out routine that I haven’t minded doing!

I’ve got a toro snowblower. Totally worth it if you clear a lot of area. I had about 14” in my driveway this afternoon. And it went thru that like nothing

• Like 1

First night in a long time there’s been no mention of the Euro while it was running. It’s not a bad run my any stretch.

I would imagine the only people all that interested are Oregon folks and I feel like we can pretty much see the writing on the wall. Time to start focusing on College Basketball instead of worrying about models that aren’t going to deliver the goods down here for what looks to be an extremely long time.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Amazing photos guys! I thought I’d run out of likes but Fred must have killed the limit.

I guess Jim lost power..I haven’t seen posts from him tonight.

I would imagine the only people all that interested are Oregon folks and I feel like we can pretty much see the writing on the wall. Time to start focusing on College Basketball instead of worrying about models that aren’t going to deliver the goods down here for what looks to be an extremely long time.

:(

That rain band has been in the same place for a long time. Portland might miss out on its big totals.

It’ll slide south eventually.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Fucksatawney Phil saw his shadow and it said 34 degree rain in Portland for two more weeks.

This month blows.

I’m surprised you wouldn’t have a little more appreciation for the historic nature of the event up north. Even though it’s not in your backyard.

• Like 1

Maybe you can hack the engine into a pump? Document the deconstruction just in case.

Too late. I already sold the snowblower to pay for a bunch of Jim Croche records, a record player, a bottle of scotch and some Ambien to help drown my snowless sorrows.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Fucksatawney Phil saw his shadow and it said 34 degree rain in Portland for two more weeks.

This month blows.

Time to move back to Blaine?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Funnily enough I have a friend in Mill Creek who has made several posts on facebook complaining about "only" having 6" of snow, posting pictures of easily 18-20" on the ground outside their house. People are bad at estimating the weather.

The greatest example of this was from a few years ago.

My friends know I'm obsessed with weather and always ask me if and how much it will snow. We had a storm coming in a couple days and a friend asked how much to expect. I explained how complex the situation was, that anywhere from 3-6" was possible, and that if I had to guess, I would say 4" was the most likely.

Fast forward to the end of the storm and he messages me telling me how it snowed SO much more than 4 inches and he can't believe I finally blew a forecast. Said it had to be at least a foot of snow. I asked for pictures and it looked like maybe 4 or 5 inches. Asked him to measure and it was  . . .  . exactly 4 inches.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I’m surprised you wouldn’t have a little more appreciation for the historic nature of the event up north. Even though it’s not in your backyard.

Objectively appreciating its historic nature and hating it aren't mutually exclusive.

And it's been an objectively torturous affair from Toledo-south, outside of a maybe 10 mile radius in the eastern metro area. 

It looks like the ridge is a little closer to us than before. I think we got one more chance of an Arctic Blast in the 10-15 day period, after that the bulk of the cold air slides east.

#HelloWarmSeason

Late February’s have been top tier over the last 10+ years.

2/18/18 through 2/28/18 I had snow on the ground and a few sub freezing highs.

Also this little gem on 2/28/07 just to name a few.

383C630F-5BBE-43E7-B3EF-0D582304EDF6.jpeg

9EB0BA68-EC26-4854-BF62-88EA5CD0D67C.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!