NOAA's Departure from Normal Temperatures "bias" ....

-

Originally begun in the main general discussion thread for March, in the Pacific Northwest sub-forum of the main "Weather Observations" section.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/163-march-in-the-pacific-northwest/?p=22548

.. posts nos. 933 > , nos. 937 > , and then 951-53, 956 and 957, follow the submission accessible here above, in response to it.

http://www.proxigee.com/noaa_s_departure_from_norms_temperature_bais-t.jpg 

... In order to reply to this topic with perhaps wanting to refer to ("quote".) from one of the posts pointed to here above, you'll need to do so, from whatever post, where you find it, and with first switching (Main "toggle" alternative, upper left of whatever main "More Reply Options" composition field.) .. to the more "code" focused text composition option, .. before copying it to tack in as part of a post-reply here. 

---

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty sketchy right there. I would be interested in an answer if anybody digs anything up.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 10 months later...

They don't use a lot of weather stations so it could be that the weather station used near Hartford was near normal. For example, there are only 38 weather stations representing Canada in 2014. Therefore, each weather station represents  a  500 km by 500 km square. The weather can sure change in 500 km. 

EDIT: Hardford is on the list. February 2014 was ranked 47th of 61 years, so I think you're right to question the "near normal" part. 

Not sure if this is the answer or not, and I don't feel like looking at the climate data to see if I'm right or not, but they could be doing it based on how statistically significant each average is... For instance if the -9.1 in Lansing is 2 standard deviations below normal for that location and the +5.5 is 3 standard deviations above normal for its location then it might make more sense... but that's literally a random guess